Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

28% increase in The Hartford auto insurance premiums

Contributor

28% increase in The Hartford auto insurance premiums

Over the past year we have had our auto insurance through AARP and the Hartford, paying $2,497 for two vehicles. It is renewal time and our Agent tells us that The Hartford has decided to increase their rates across the tri-county area in south Florida. Our renewal policy increased $690 annually. This, in spite of our clear driving record.

My agent also tells us that it is a strategy the company has taken to reduce risk. They know that X% will drop them and switch to another company. They also know that Y% will continue with them and pay the higher rate, offsetting the lost revenue. So the insurance company, in the end, is able to maintain revenue with a smaller customer base and thus reduce their exposure to risk. Great plan for the company unless the value of X turns out greater than expected.

Although I think the Hartford is a top notch company I am one of the X's and am switching to another well regarded company with similar coverage, including accident forgiveness, paying slightly less than I did in 2016.

I share this in the interest of increasing awareness and motivating AARP to address this with the company and, if that doesn't happen, possibly making "X" greater than anticipated for companies that do this.

Contributor

I'm in Florida, was with Geico for about 10 years. One day I get the premium and was over $5000 for two cars and no accidents. I went with The Hartford. I think it's a game to snag you in. Insurance for 3 vehicles for $1200 for six months. Then the renewal price goes up. My last renewal was $3526 and I expect it will be higher in May with the next renewal. 

Credit score over 800, no accidents, no claims. 

I called Geico back thinking maybe they wanted me back as a customer, the  quote was over $6000.   So if you're  in Florida and found better insurance please share with me. 

Recognized Social Butterfly

(2/20/24) Daniel @DanielO257149 , yikes!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ  Florida is NOT the place to be right now. My daughter lives there and I am doing it and Virginia. She has Progressive. I use to have Geico in Florida. Now Allstate in Virginia.

[*** DANIEL @DanielO257149 wrote:

I'm in Florida, was with Geico for about 10 years. One day I get the premium and was over $5000 for two cars and no accidents. I went with The Hartford. I think it's a game to snag you in. Insurance for 3 vehicles for $1200 for six months. Then the renewal price goes up. My last renewal was $3526 and I expect it will be higher in May with the next renewal. 

Credit score over 800, no accidents, no claims. 

I called Geico back thinking maybe they wanted me back as a customer, the  quote was over $6000.   So if you're  in Florida and found better insurance please share with me. ***]

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

My Hartford premium went up by 35%!  I've been with them for 8 years, have had no claims, no tickets, and my credit score is over 800.  I'm shopping around and have found coverage from well-known companies for lots less.  Shame on The Hartford for taking advantage of senior citizens!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I called them all after the biggest increase with the Hartford I've ever heard of anyone getting, 78.5% increase. No claims no tickets. Credit score is 840. All the other carriers came in higher than the Hartford's new more than double the premium for last year. Almost an 80 increase and I can't find a better deal.

Recognized Social Butterfly

(2/20/24) @dn1663 , I was pleasantly surprised with my renewal with Allstate THIS TIME. I am in Virginia.

Pandemic and post- pandemic use to have my premiums TOO HIGH.

Hopefully things will stabilize more. 2020 to 2023 was AWFUL for me.

When I had asked WHY my premiums were SO HIGH (no issues or claims) I was told EVERYONE gets hit with OTHER FOLKS claims and fraud claims.

[*** @dn1663 wrote:

I called them all after the biggest increase with the Hartford I've ever heard of anyone getting, 78.5% increase. No claims no tickets. Credit score is 840. All the other carriers came in higher than the Hartford's new more than double the premium for last year. Almost an 80 increase and I can't find a better deal. ***]

0 Kudos

Wow  wish I would of read the reviews sooner.  Looks like the Hartford has been doing this for a long time.  I have only been with Hartford for 18 months and premiums have increased 400 dollars.  Wish I would of never switched.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

All insurance companies have increased their rate by similar amounts this year.  Your only protection is to get competing quotes every year and switch as necessary.  It's a pain, but you gotta do what you gotta do!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

We changed a few years ago to State Farm. Three old cars. Just got renewal. Two went down about $20 each and one old truck up $20. We do use their app and little Bluetooth device in the cars to connect to our cellphones (big brother watches our driving) so it goes. Got good discount this renewal.  Rate may have gone up but our discount beat that down.  Home insurance was renewed last June with them. It went down about $32. Could not believe that one. Nothing reduced on the home insurance as far a coverage but only price down a little rather then up. We live in Georgia, northern suburb of Atlanta.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Just got my renewal notice, 40% rate increase with no claims or changes, no excuse for this bs!

Contributor

My rate jumped +75% for 2024.  No accidents/tickets, customer service just said rates went up.  Bye bye The Hartford ๐Ÿ™‚

Periodic Contributor

Good luck and you may be in for a double surprise. I was. My rates went up 78%, despite no claims and no tickets. I've called every major insurance company and they all give me a quote for more than it would cost to renew with the Hartford. They all came in at least $400 higher than my new 78% higher than last year rate with the Hartford. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Indeed, I got the double surprise ๐Ÿ™‚  I run quotes with Amica, Geico, Progressive, Liberty Mutual, AAA, Erie, Nationwide, Farmers, Njm and they were all more expensive than the Hartford.  Most were waaaay more expensive for worse coverage.  The only one that was better on Auto was NJM, but for home it came out more without even the umbrella policy that I have with the Hartford.

Hmm.  It's as if they have conspired to jack up the rates, +75% is ridiculous. I will stay with the Hartford for now, but I will get it touch with local brokers to see what they can do.

Mine also, feel like it's an AARP rip off too.

Periodic Contributor

I've had the Hartford by AARP for several years, and have had great rates others couldn't match all along. Haven't had a ticket or a claim in 15 years and  my rates are increasing by over 75%. I've never heard of such a thing. Four cars full coverage 2023 rate was  $1,939. Renewal for the same cars and same coverage is $3,458. They might be losing X percentage but if they raise everyone's rates like they're raising mine they won't have many customers left. Unless this is some kind of mistake I'll certainly be jumping ship. I'll be calling the MD insurance commission tomorrow as well. In MD if they plan to raise your rates by 50% or more they're supposed to alert you with written notice which I have not received. All I got was an email saying your policy docs are ready. 

Contributor

What did the MD insurance commission say?  I did not receive a notice from the Hartford either.  In October I replaced a 2019 Honda Accord with a 2024 Acura MDX Type S Adance in my policy, after confirming that the annual rate would be $1515.  The 2024 renewal is asking for $2660 ๐Ÿ™‚

When I confronted customer service about this discrepancy they said the $1515 annual rate they quoted me was correct, for 2023.  Clever clever ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

The insurance commission basically confirmed they're a rubber stamp for the insurance companies. They said the insurers raise their rates based on how much profit they made the prior year, and there is no limit to how big of an increase they can implement. Regardless of how huge it might be it will be approved. Which begs the question if the answer is yes 100% of the time what's the point of requiring them to seek approval before implementing the increase?
Apparently the - time to renew and the new outrageous increase  - that ;was emailed to me was adequate to serve as "notice" of the increase.

Contributor

Not surprised about the MIA.  It does "feel" like the insurance companies have all colluded to gouge us.  Although, my friend in DC says it's purely a location thing.  He claims his GEICO premium for 2024 is inline with 2023.  He said all the insurers look at the same data, if the cost to insure in MD went up (theft, accidents, other crime)... they all look at the same data and all companies will have the same high rates, which is what I am finding.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

I'm paying the same as you for 3 vehicles. No claims ever. My 2012 Kia cost more than my 2017 vehicle. Went from $2450 to $3556 in a year. We are retired and drive few miles. The website is awful. You try 5-6 times to login and finely it works. Roadside assistance sounds like it's dispatched out of the Middle East. Darn app wants to know your location 24/7 even when you are riding with others. I left Geico after 10 years for the better price. It's just bait and switch.

0 Kudos

I find Hartford to be a poorly run company who has no regard for their clientele.  My insurance jumped 43% this year with no claims or accidents in the 3 years I have been with them.  I am going elsewhere.  I should also note when I first joined they had me do their True Lane 90 day monitoring program to get a discount based on safe driving habits.  One weekly highway route passed several cell towers and showed me going 70 mph and then suddenly 90 for a few 5 seconds then back down to 70.  My discount was lessened by these speeding occurrences.  I complained about five times including letters and they agreed this was what happened, but said they could not make any adjustments.  So I got a middle tier safety discount instead of the top tier that my spouse received.  They could care less. 

Contributor

Home insurance just jumped 30% which is bad enough but replacement cost jumped 30% as well. Deductible for hail and wind damage is now 1% of replacement cost. I called to tell them they were 100K more than competitors regarding replacement costs (which drives up policy $ and deductible) and they were not concerned at all. I asked what their formula was and they said itโ€™s complicated. They went on to point out that a 1% deductible is the future and that it could go as high as 5% down the road.  AARP is not serving its customers when Hartford can get away with such price gouging without some specifics.  Simply pointing out that IL gets hailstorms and that there are lots of houses in IL is far from helpful insight. When asked why home replacement cost was 30% higher than other companies they said debris cleanup and materials cost. Am I to assume no one else takes that into account? As someone else pointed out there is no other option other than to shop around. 

0 Kudos

I got you beat. I have the same AARP thru Hartford but just for auto. I started at $329. every six months. After the first sixe months they raised to $435, And now six months later they have raised it again to $527. In one year that is a 60 percent increase. I am in Illinois. When I asked the agent to justifuy a 60 percent increase in my premium, like a broken record she just kept sayinfg it depends on the region you live in and the car you are insuring. I have no tickets, accidents or claims. I pay my policy six months ata time. 

Contributor

Mine isn't as bad. 32% more than last year. Same car, safe driving, no tickets. Now retired I only drive about once or twice a a week locally. These increases are getting ridiculous. Corporate greed is out of control. Wish I could get a 32% raise in my retirement. Tomorrow I'll start checking other insurers. Sadly, I doubt their rates will be much better.

Contributor

I've had pretty good luck finding better rates with The Zebra. Some rates were pleasantly surprising. I think some insurers likely give better rates when it is clear you are shopping around. I'm in the same boat as you, retired, no tickets, safe driving, no wrecks etc. Social Security went up this year but not nearly enough to cover rising costs.
https://www.thezebra.com/

Just received my renewal auto insurance from Hartford . Last year (2022-23) was $873. New rate is $1234, a 41% increase. What a scam.

Contributor

received my renewal notice today and I was stunned. My premium went from $780/yr to $1200.  I first joined the Hartford in 2021 after my premium at progressive increased to $1600/yr(was with them for 6 yrs and it steadily increased yr after yr even though no tickets or accidents ever). In 2021 I switched to Hartford at $879/yr(with driver course and true car discount) and I jumped on it. Last year my premium dropped to $780. The increase for renewal this year is more then when I first joined the Hartford. I contacted them and they gave me no good reason for the increase and didnโ€™t seemed concerned why I was upset with the increase. Iโ€™m disappointed in AARP for not standing up for their members or find another company that would respect retirees. Weโ€™ve been driving a long time and if weโ€™ve had no tickets or accidents and completed the AARP safe driving course (income revenue to AARP) and the true car safe driving program there is no reason for this company to increase premiums this much other then corporate greed. Guess we can add Hartford executives to the list of gas, food/goods, and utility CEO gouging seniors for their huge profits. Iโ€™m extremely disappointed with AARP and Hartford not having more respect for us. Too bad they donโ€™t care if they lose policy holders over profits. I will be changing companies even if their are no savings because itโ€™s the priciple. Need to have respect of dedicated policy holders. 

Weโ€™ve had a safe and unblemished driving record for years and yet just got hit with a 50% Hartford Auto Insurance cost increase for 2023โ€ฆWe are stunned and disappointed with this callousness in the way they look out for Seniorsโ€ฆ Weโ€™ll be looking elsewhere for coverage!

Contributor

Possibly AARP might have some influence with their preferred vendor Hartford.  In past 18 months my AARP Hartford auto insurance premium increased by approximately 78% of which 35% on most recent billing.  Request to Hartford agent and their supervisor to review premium increase for errors was denied.  They were respectful, but were firm to not have Hartford review for errors.  A 78% increase in 18 months is outrageous.  Their excuse was inflation and related costs.  According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, โ€œOver the 12 months ended June 2022, the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers increased 9.1 percent. The 9.1-percent increase in the all items index was the largest 12-month increase since the 12-month period ending November 1981.โ€

Contributor

The agent didn't want to have a review because they get a larger commission with rate increases.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

If any of us remember we received "Rebates" during pandemic as many were "working safely from home"  (I wasn't & still had report in daily onsite), never the less these amounted to about a couple dollars month, which was probably hardly worth the paperwork effort on their part.... think my rebate came to around $18 for the remaining 8 months.

Can't wait to see my renewals nest year! ๐Ÿ™„    

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP