Explore your flexible work options with AARP's Flexible Work Online Expo from 2-5 p.m. ET Tuesday! Register now.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: 28% increase in The Hartford auto insurance premiums

Message 11 of 30

We've been AARP Hartford Customers for over 10 years (Trumball Insurance Company) and have combined our homeowners policy with the automobiles. All insured have had no automotive tickets, or claims in the past 5 years. We've also all completed the AARP safe driving course.

The statement I just received resulted in an increase of 38% and 29% on two separate vehicles.

After a number of phone calls to get a clear understanding of why the increase was so significant, I received two different answers. One CS rep said it was because there was an incident 9 months previous where another driver ran into the back of our truck while we were stopped, the other driver was ticketed and their insurance covered all. Get this, the CS rep said because there was an incident (regardless of who was at fault) it was "likely" that we would have another incident in the future !!  The other answer I got was that the rates in the great state of Illinois and cost of new cars was driving the prices up (my newest car is 11 years old).

Unfortunately my guess is that the logic of the increase is more likely related to their inability to manage their overhead costs with with a declining customer base.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 30

In any given area there are a number of insurers who would love your business. People often live under the impression that carriers offering coverage have lower rates because they are endorsed by an affinity group.

That is a false assumption.

We have had Hartford for many years. At our last renewal we decided to shop around through our current broker that has served us well for 30 years. We also secured a Hartford quote through AARP. The rate quoted for the exact same coverage we have now was higher than our current Hartford rate.

YMMV

Plans endorsed by associations, warehouse clubs, etc are not inherently lower priced, better value or offering better service. They are simply endorsed in exchange for a "kickback" to the entity that recommends them.

Bark less. Wag more.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 30

I am in New Jersey and the past two years Hartford has quoted us 50% higher than any other 

carrier... in some case 100%... as with everyone else we are seniors and our driving records are

good... don't tell me i am paying for everyone else when other companies can insure for less.

I believe Hartford is taking advantage of their loyal base and other seniors who are not as 

diligent on getting other prices.  I am also tired of receiving AARP flyers stating that their partners

will save them big time over other carriers, Allstate, Geico, etc... this is about kickbacks and nothing more with the Hartford.  (p.s. I do have AARP prescription plans)

fyi, 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 30

2018-19 CAR INSURANCE PREMIUM UP 7% from last year

60yr old man, no accidents, perfect license, Drive 7000 miles or LESS per year

2002 Kia Sedona   NO Collision coverage.

LAST YEAR 11-01-2017 thru 11-01-2018  $843.00  

THIS YEAR  11-01-2018 thru 11-01-2019   $903.00  So my cost increase is $60.00 this year. or 7 percent and that is mostly $49.00 of it on Bodily injury liability which went up from 344. to 393.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 30

mercury insurance, saved us $800/yr

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 30

I've had the same auto insurance coverage for last two years, no accidents or tickets, yet my premium increased by 40.4% in those two years. In the last year alone, it increased by 27.5 %. 

AARP should stop recommending Hartford, they are a rip-off!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 30
Check out Esurance
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 30
Check out Esurance. Allstate is it’s parent company. I pay 146.00 and that is after the latest increase. I recently got a few quotes when mine went from 135. To 146. It was staggering to say the least. 146. It’s nothing compared to what I saw.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 30

Yes the first increase 125.00 to 170.00 is when I left. I paid 135.00 and it just increased to 146.00. 

I use Esurance.

with all the flooding, hail from storms, fires and earthquakes. I’m surprised it didn’t go higher than 28%. 

I don’t know how retirees are going to be able to afford to drive.

i just checked a few insurance companies for quotes and decided to stay where I’m at. I was shocked at the prices. My little bump was nothing.

Good Luck

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 30

We're in the same boat. For those of you who switched companies, which ones did you go with?

Kudos
Views