AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Recognized Social Butterfly

Re: 2017-2018 UHC Plan F Rate Increases

Message 1 of 13

@alexiss12 

It’s true you can change Medicare supplement plans anytime throughout the year. And it’s also true you can be underwritten by another supplement plan if you do so you want to be careful switching from your UHC to another insurance company.

However if you have AARP UHC as I gather from your post, and you want to switch from their plan F to their plan G, there is no underwriting by UHC.  As long as you are insured under the AARP UHC umbrella of lettered plans you will not be underwritten if you chose to switch from plan F to plan G or any of their lettered plans. That was one of the best things about their coverage.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Re: 2018 UHC Plan F Rate Increases

Message 2 of 13

Coming from a sales person, that quite an indictment! I come from a healthcare background, 30 years practicing anesthesia. My experiences convince me that one of the ways insurance companies have had to evolve in order to survive is by deliberately making insurance complicated. Deductibles, co-pays, co-insurance, exclusions, tiers of services and on and on, when consumers caught on to that game, they simply started changing insurance carries each year to get the new enrollee discounts. Then the insurers closed that loophole. Insurers know most people get lost in this plethora of rules, exceptions, inclusions and exclusions, or more simply put, good old BS. And consequently they profit enormously from it. I had to leave healthcare 16 years ago due to a back injury, so I went into information technology, application development and databases. Ended up doing quite a bit of IT work in healthcare and insurance, it was there that my suspicions from my days as a healthcare provider were proven correct. The amount waste, in the hundreds of millions of dollars, spent to squeeze more profit out of a shrinking population of people is unbelievable. I don’t want to see more government regulations but sometimes I think the government should breakup some of the larger insurers like they did AT&T years ago. Someone needs to rattle their cage because in some companies they waste as much on failed projects as they make in profits and do this year after year. Bad management, super ego’s, power run amok, it’s frightening to see how someone with the emotional equivalent to an 18 year old can be in charge of a hundred million dollar project with no one watching them for how well they perform….

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 13

alexiss12,

I came back,to give you one other link from Medicare on the various methods which Medigap insurers can price their policies.

Medicare.gov - Cost of Medigap Policies

So you see that some policies would change based on the age of the insured.

Be sure to hit the drop down at the bottom of the page on Other pricing factors.

Notice that if you don't have guaranteed issue right when you change policies, you could be underwritten and possibly charged more for a health condition or they could deny coverage to a specific condition for a few months even though Medicare would cover it, just not the Medigap insurer for whatever specific length of time.

Everybody needs to understand that Medicare is not like private health insurance , not like the ACA plans either - there are specific rules that are purposely written to keep down health care cost.   Medicare is a public system.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 13

alexiss12 wrote:

What you are saying is all well and good. but I know Highmark of PA already has posted their 2018 rates for Medicare Supplemental plans AND IF I WANTED TO CHANGE TO HIGHMARK DUE  TO POSSIBLY LOWER PRICING I WOULD STILL NEED TO DUE IT BY 12/7/17 (OR) IF I WANT TO CHANGE TO PAN G , wouldn't that also need to be done by 12/7/17th?

No, after the initial open enrollment period when you 1st join Medicare, pick up Part B and pick your supplemental plan and your insurer, I believe you can do it at anytime; sometimes with consequences depending upon your health situation.  

Medicare.gov When Can I Buy Medigap

If if you do not have guaranteed issue rights when you switch, they could underwrite you.

Medicare.gov - Switching Medigap Policies

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 13

What you are saying is all well and good. but I know Highmark of PA already has posted their 2018 rates for Medicare Supplemental plans AND IF I WANTED TO CHANGE TO HIGHMARK DUE  TO POSSIBLY LOWER PRICING I WOULD STILL NEED TO DUE IT BY 12/7/17 (OR) IF I WANT TO CHANGE TO PAN G , wouldn't that also need to be done by 12/7/17th?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 13

alexiss12 wrote:

Why doesn't United Healthcare and AARP have any pricing available for Medicare Supplemental 10/15/17? A rep told me online that there are still negotiations under way for NE PA. Whart happens is costs are not available for the 12/7th cutoff date?

Supplemental plans are not affected by the annual open enrollment period - this is only for those private insurance plans which take the place of original Medicare- Part C - Medicare,Advantage plans  -FULL Medicare plans - and The Prescription Drug coverage plans - Part D plans.

Supplemental or Medigap plans are not full coverage they just pay some of your out of pocket expenses in original (traditional) Medicare.

Theremare specific rules just for supplemental plans (Medigap coverage).  Like the periods when you have guaranteed issue rights to buy a supplemental plan without underwriting by,the company sponsoring the plan.

You are not required by law to have a supplemental plan but you are required by law to have a chosen way to get your Medicare benefits like traditional (original) or a Medicare Advantage plan.  And you are required by law or pay a penalty if you do not have a prescription drug plan - free standing or within a Medicare,Advantage plan.

Be very careful and know the Medicare rules when entering or leaving a supplemental plan after the initial enrollment period of entering Medicare.

Medicare.gov - What is Medigap coverage

This should also be described in your 2018 Medicare & You booklet.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 13

Why doesn't United Healthcare and AARP have any pricing available for Medicare Supplemental 10/15/17? A rep told me online that there are still negotiations under way for NE PA. Whart happens is costs are not available for the 12/7th cutoff date?

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 8 of 13

You have to pay attention to what type of pricing method UHC used to determine your premium. There's 3 types of Medigap pricing methods... Community rated, Issue Age Rated and Attained Age Rated. 

Melissa Kay
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 9 of 13

You have to pay attention to what type of pricing method UHC used to determine your premium. There's 3 types of Medigap pricing methods... Community rated, Issue Age Rated and Attained Age Rated. 

Melissa Kay
Highlighted
Info Seeker

2018 UHC Plan F Rate Increases

Message 10 of 13

right I just joined Sept. 1, 2017 and now I received my notice about two increases for 2018. I am in sales msyelf and boy this is bait and switch.