Today, 1 in 7 Seniors Live in Poverty -- AARP Foundation is Fighting to End Senior Poverty. Read More.

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: "Resurrecting" The Mature Singles, "Chat About Anything" Format We Had Befor

Message 21 of 24

I've been checking in every now and then too.  I think it's easier to find now for new people if they can find the on-line community in the first place.  I wish AARP would promote them more.  So many people don't know they exist and are difficult to locate if you aren't already set up with a community.

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: "Resurrecting" The Mature Singles, "Chat About Anything" Format We Had Befor

Message 22 of 24

catwoman500 wrote:
Hey, Mimi! Count me in! Nancy

YAA-A-A-YY!!!

“The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
War With Honour, 1940 ~ A.A. Milne
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 23 of 24
Hey, Mimi! Count me in! Nancy
Valued Social Butterfly

"Resurrecting" The Mature Singles, "Chat About Anything" Format We Had Before???

Message 24 of 24

I drop back her from time to time to check and see if any of the old core group has left a message or wants to start a conversation.  I see one diehard member continues to try to start conversations but there are very few takers.  Our active membership "fell off" when this board was designated a place for online daters to chat with each other about "romance issues."  It never really got off the ground.

In it's former incarnation, the posters were a mixed group of mature single, widowed and divorced folks who dropped in to join in discussions about anything that was on their minds...not just topics of the romantic variety.  One could ask advice, give advice, wonder aloud about life issues and many of those had a tie-in about being single in a "partnered" world.  There were polls about many of those issues...things like, "do you frequently go to events/movies alone or with a same-sex friend or buddy if you don't have a date?"  "What types of meals do you prepare for for yourself if you live alone?"  "What is a deal-breaker for you when sizing up a potential relationship?"  "What do you do on a typical weekend?"  "Do you have a pet?"  

The conversations were informative, fun and didn't necessarily reflect the attitude that one was "incomplete" without a date, sweetheart, partner, BFF or any other relationship.

Is anyone interested in an ongoing, "free-wheeling" conversation between mature singles about issues that go on in their world?  If so, leave a post and check the subscriptions box so you're notified when a response is posted.  ~  Mimi

“The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
War With Honour, 1940 ~ A.A. Milne