Medicare open enrollment has begun! Learn all about it in AARP's guide to Medicare made easy.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: "Resurrecting" The Mature Singles, "Chat About Anything" Format We Had Befor

Message 11 of 24

janetwernes wrote:

First time on here,,,have no idea what I'm doing.  Patience please !!  Smiley Happy

Welcome Janet & Alice!  The threads here have been a little slow since the latest changes to the AARP site so it will probably fulfill your request for patience!  Woman Happy

Suggest that you look around and check out the folders for topics that might interest you and that you might like to comment on.  When you're ready, feel free to join in...I see Alice has already done so!  Feel free to introduce new topics as well.  Happy trails!

~  Mimi

“The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
War With Honour, 1940 ~ A.A. Milne
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: "Resurrecting" The Mature Singles, "Chat About Anything" Format We Had Befor

Message 12 of 24

First time on here,,,have no idea what I'm doing.  Patience please !!  Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: "Actions Speak Louder Than Words"

Message 13 of 24

as far as the post about the younger generation trying to tell the older generation what we want or anything dont let them get to ya. its not worth letting it upset u or get ur blood pressure up or anything. we all know what we want what we desire where we are going where we been and know our own minds. just live life to the fullest and have fun, being single and having fun or with same sex friend or buddy or significant other or whatever our situation is.  personally im living my life for me to make me happy not to make someone else happy considering im single and havent dated in a while not by my own choice nobodys asked lol

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

"Actions Speak Louder Than Words"

Message 14 of 24

It's a bit scary to realize that employees/representatives of AARP .. a group created to protect the retired & seniors .. has younger employees who by their actions, seem to think that they know better what we want - or should want - than we do ourselves! Shame on them!!!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 24

Hi, This discussion was moved from Single and Mingle. I think Mimi's plan was to "recharge" that group which has so many members, and have it go back to the way it was before it was hijacked by the dating site. The topics we covered were not only about dating. We could bring up anything that a single person might want to talk about. Now with it being kidnapped to this group, it can't spark or rekindle any new conversations in Single and Mingle. I don't like how AARP can arbitrarily move someone's discussion. Nancy

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 24

I just happened upon this discussion; what was the original Group name? "Singles Perspective Revisited" was transferred with the same name at least. They're both under "Home and Relationships". Maybe you could ask AARP to change the Discussion's name to "Mature Singles Open Chat/Forum."

Even once you figure out how to look things up in the listing, it's just not as easy as when you could go to your profile & find all of your Groups listed. This is supposed to be more "open", but it's NOT promoting more discussion at all!

You're welcome to all come to SPR .. which seems to have lost all of its male posters, for the most part. Smiley Sad

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 24

catwoman500 wrote:

OMG! I cannot believe that this discussion was moved at all, let alone to this area (love, sex, and dating) which has nothing to do with our goal!!  Smiley Sad Nancy

OMG is right!  I cannot believe that whoever's in charge of topics on these boards couldn't understand that this discussion is about mature single people who meet to talk about whatever is on their minds, bounce ideas off the other participants, share funny stories, new ideas and any old thing they happen to be thinking at the moment.  Occasionally, there may be a reference to love, sex or dating but it's always in the context that those issues are a small part of one's life...certainly not the sole reason for the thread to exist.  

This conversation is woefully misplaced in the love, sex and dating category.  If we cannot generate interest on "Single & Mingle" (which is more like a ghost town now,) it is doubtful that the former members of "Single & Mingle" (before it was co-opted by the dating site) will be able to find their old friends on this board.  It was just friendly, honest conversation where we all made friends with those who visited several times a week...some even daily...to keep up with one another and offer our own commentary and opinions on the subjects at hand.

A bouquet of garlic to the decision-maker who decided that this thread belonged in the love, sex and dating category!  Come on...you can do better than that!  Woman Frustrated

“The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 24

OMG! I cannot believe that this discussion was moved at all, let alone to this area (love, sex, and dating) which has nothing to do with our goal!!  Smiley Sad Nancy

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 24

Hey, Mimi,  In less than 2 weeks, I might be able to find the old discussions better, without it taking so long. Yesterday I bit the bullet and bought a new computer. I was a wreck, but luckily a good friend who knows a heck of a lot more than I do about tech stuff went with me. 2 hours later there was a computer in my trunk and a date on my calendar for the Geek Squad to come here and do everything in home including transferring all the "stuff" that's on my computer!!! Wahoo! I'll let you know how that goes. Meanwhile I'll stick to this Kindle Fire for AARP since even typing with a stylus is faster than loading the pages on my old computer. Nancy

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 24

PattyDiane wrote:

I've been checking in every now and then too.  I think it's easier to find now for new people if they can find the on-line community in the first place.  I wish AARP would promote them more.  So many people don't know they exist and are difficult to locate if you aren't already set up with a community.

Oh, PattyDiane...I do so agree with you!  Looks like we haven't been able to stir iany interest...but, then again, there doesn't seem to be much activity at all on the boards except for a few.  ~  Mimi

Kudos
Views