Forced Nursing Home Evictions Must Stop. AARP Foundation Is Helping Protect the Most Vulnerable. Learn How

Gold Conversationalist

Re: "Resurrecting" The Mature Singles, "Chat About Anything" Format We Had Befor

Message 1 of 24
Where do I find the subscriptions box?
Report Inappropriate Content
Gold Conversationalist

Re: "Resurrecting" The Mature Singles, "Chat About Anything" Format We Had Befor

Message 2 of 24
I'm interested! Miss the old format.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 3 of 24

It's been a couple years or so, sinse I have been on line with aarp members. Friends are never to many. However, I have been interested in meeting my soul mate (male) for a long time.

It's not easy when we're older. In my area, there is about 3 men to every 100.

I have met men but didn't latch on. I may have missed the boat. Until then, if I am fortunate enough, I would like to communicate with friends.

Betty

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 24

Sounds good to me.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 24

I retired very early, becoming a caregiver for the first 3 years. After a high pressure professional career with long hours, it was totally different for me. I gained weight & felt very dumpy/frumpy, and went to see an "image consultant". I was surprised & offended, when she told me that once I had no career, no man would care about my brains or accomplishments, that it was just physical appearance & attraction.

It's 12 years later, and I've lost all that weight, and gotten very involved in a few organizations .. but the single men in their early/mid-60s are so few & far between, that I haven't met anyone now either!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 24

I would really enjoy hearing what others have to say about dating after retiring.  It's scary out there and the online dating scene is a whole new world!

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 24
LOL. I was trying to enter the Travel Sweepstakes of AARP and end up here. I vaguely remember participating in this or some other forum. Didn't AARP sort of pass of their dating site to a commercial dating site? I probably was on there too :-) until realizing how fruitless that would be.
Probably a good conversation forum on single living is need with a subset for relationships etc.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 24

janetwernes wrote:

I had no idea there were "blogs",,,,I clicked on the link from the email I received from AARP today.  Maybe that is how they are promoting,,,,it did say "discuss with others". 

Probably...our old format was not the "bulletin board" model but specific discussion groups where a member joined a "group" who shared interests and contributed posts to threads the members started.  It could be gardening, books, pets, religion, politics, food, single's issues, travel, money...whatever a group was interested in discussing.  One got to know the different personalities in the group.  

The bulletin board is essentially the same but has no members...just individual posters who may lurk & read or decide to make posts.  Discussions were more like conversations.  Posts are random unless you are in an extremely intense board.  

One other difference is that the groups had administrators who had "skin in the game" because they were usually the members who started the groups.  Those admins supplied what was essentially "first-line" moderation...keeping the "peace" on the boards, warning posters against baiting, personal attacks and other violations of the "Terms of Service."  AARP employees in Community Host would handle the more serious breaches of conduct.  The new format has Community Host doing all moderation, so there are fewer warnings and sanctions now than there were previously...most likely due to increased workload.

Blogs are personal postings...sort of like a running commentary...and you may attract a following of posters who will sometimes offer their own insights and remarks.  Does that make sense?

Hope this helps.  If you've been on other boards you will have no problem getting adjusted and assimilating the action on this site.  You may also find things you think could be handled better or more efficiently.  In that case, go to "Community Host" and leave them a message...we all do!  Some of us more than others...lol!  ~  Mimi

“The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
War With Honour, 1940 ~ A.A. Milne
Info Seeker

Message 9 of 24

I had no idea there were "blogs",,,,I clicked on the link from the email I received from AARP today.  Maybe that is how they are promoting,,,,it did say "discuss with others". 

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 24

Thanks!!!....I won't know that there were changes as I haven't been here before Smiley Happy