Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Where do you meet people to date?

Message 21 of 62

To lw52674518 - Thank you for the compliment; I appreciate it.  I don't claim to know all the answers on how to meet people but I don't mind sharing my own personal experiences.  If my experiences can inspire anyone in any way, then I'm glad.  Socializing is challenging for a lot of people and even more so for those who are alone and older.  I speak from experience when I say that; becoming more sociable has been a tremendous learning experience for me.  

As for a companion?  No, but I have met someone recently (we've had two dates, so far) but it's way too early to determine if he's companion material.  However, I remain hopeful and will continue to look forward to one day finding a good companion, emphasis on good because that's the real challenge.  I've had companions for most of my adult life, however, not all of them were good companions.  Not looking for another one of those.

Have a good day and a wonderful weekend.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 62

No

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 62

I'm impressed by your thoughts. Do you have a companion at this time?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 62

I am 74 and been widowed 2x! My hobbies include reading, working in the garden and greenhouse. I really enjoy being outdoors. I do have a couple health problems I deal with with medication. I would like to find a friend first and see what transpires.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 62

I've been reading alot of these letters. I know it isn't easy to meet someone, with all the scammers on the onli e dating sites. But I'm a hopeless romantic and refuse to believe I or anyone can't find their soulmate. Sometimes it just takes time. Like someone said you just need to get out and mingle with people. Whether at a senior ctr or a gym. You have to keep believing it will happen. As the old saying goes, good things take time. Sincerely hopeless romantic...

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 62

I met my Significant Other, after my husband died at the age of 74, at a Tai Chi class that I had been in for a number of years when he wandered in to take the class.

Just goes to show, you can meet good guys anywhere even when you are just doing something healthy!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 62

my age prevents me from finding anyone there are no social activities near me and I won’t do on line

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 62

We are everywhere. Smile, say hello. tell people something you do you are proud of.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 62

Good for you. Thanks for your time and concern. 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 62

Dear Bruce T48072:

Wow - I just found this site and read everyone's post.  After reading your post I could tell that your feelings were hurt.  I don't think that the response was meant to do that.  People just say things that hurt us without meaning to hurt us.

From what I've read, most seniors are looking for a way to meet people.  I would like to offer you some great suggestions:  join a local bowling league, sign up at your local gym, if you live in a senior development - go to all the dances.  Women LOVE to dance!!

I am senior citizen 87 years old.  I am still working as a secretary two days a week, I bowl twice a week with two different teams, work out at the local gym every other day and take two line dancing classes each week.  I meet lots of people at these events - some nice and some not so nice.  You won't meet anybody by just staying at home.

Years ago there was an on-line group at Seniornet where we would meet so many people on line, share our email information and they would write about themselves, their families, the good things and the bad things that happened.  They started to feel like family to me - they were from all over these United States and, as a matter of fact, I still correspond with many people via email that I met there years ago.  Unfortunately, Seniornet has discontinued that function but I have been trying to get them to start it up again.  Why don't you email to Seniornet and add your request to the list?

I hope you find what you are looking for.  You sound like a nice person - just lonely.  Being lonely is something that a senior citizen has to learn to contend with but - what are your choices?  When your lifelong mate dies you have to make big admustments in your life.  You have a choice:  You can sit home and feel sorry for yourself or you can move your muscles and join some of the organizations that I mentioned previously.

I just thought of one more thing.  If you live in a senior development - some of them have a widows/widowers group that meet monthly.  I joined one of them recently but when I went to my first meeting, the majority of the attendees were all women.  See Bruce, they are all out there, just waiting for you to show up.  Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors