Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Where do you meet people to date?

Retired Community Manager

Where do you meet people to date?

Have you tried online dating? Dating agencies? Singles events? If so, what were your results?

Do you have a good tip on where you've met someone special? Share it with your story here.

Periodic Contributor

Does AARP have a dating site?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

AARP needs to promote relationship building.    Give members a project to work together on via online communication.  We will each find our own way out of the darikness to trust adults to do good things together.

Social Butterfly

@sophias603738 

Hey Sophia 

No AARP Dating site

From other topics I've read they once tried it but required alot to maintain & took away from the goals AARP had in mind 

I've watched this topic for while no posts then today discovered many had posted

Some great suggestions  & experiences posted Thanks

I tried online dating 2 men met not good experiences As another posted just don't think its my kinda thing 

Have been blessed to make some friends on this community for which I'm grateful 

Reckon I need to get more out there cause they are not going come knocking at my door

After decades marriage  ended

Because of some circumstances don't desire get married plus in this last 5 years working on myself and living alone 1st time in life I enjoy my time alone and with my family and friends 

I would love to have a companion to hang out with Eat and  travel & do things together 

I hold hope for meeting someone maybe even in this community I've seen winners of Sweeps that live near my location.... Anything is possible as long as open to believing 

Good luck everyone & thanks for sharing your thoughts and hopes 

Ginger  : )

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

It is impossible to just find someone. . There are too many roadblocks for others to see goodness, kindness and caring.  There are so many people hiding in plain site.  Until they decide to become visible, we are lost at sea waiting for rescue. We have to sing our own songs and act in our own productions.  Yes we may sink, but our dignity requires being confident in hearing our own voice.

Periodic Contributor

tx, I wonder if you live anywhere near me?
Sophie
Social Butterfly

@sophias603738 

Hi Sophia 

I live in rural area of town named Youngsville NC just outside of Wake Forest NC & Raleigh NC 

For over 25+ years lived outside of small town Spring Hope NC 

I came from Mississippi 33+ years ago

Nice to meet y'all 

Ginger : ) 

Periodic Contributor

Northside of Chicago. Good luck!
Social Butterfly

@lindag237909 

Hi Linda thanks for sharing your beautiful hopeful story

Sorry about the cancer your in my thoughts and prayers May you be blessed with lots of beautiful days and loving people around you always

Been to Chicago many years ago 1978 

I love the 3 Chicago TV Shows by Dick Wolf

Been some shows &movies made here in NC My Mom loved Nicholas Sparks & my daughter in law & I have met him twice 

Enjoy every moment! 

Ginger : ) 

0 Kudos

I have been successful with online dating.  I have an extra email account not tied to my name, and an extra cell number (Google Voice). I always meet for coffee first (not a big time commitment). There ha e been an occasional false profile,  or a scammer, but they've been quite obvious. Ask questions when reaching out or responding, and look for answers in kind.  No answers? Probably not a 'real' profile. 

I also always, always respond to every single message to me, whether I'm interested or not. 

Cast a wide net, keep an open mind. A good conversation is a win for humanity, whether it leads to a date, or not. 

Contributor

I am 74 and been widowed 2x! My hobbies include reading, working in the garden and greenhouse. I really enjoy being outdoors. I do have a couple health problems I deal with with medication. I would like to find a friend first and see what transpires.

Regular Contributor

Hello.....hope you are doing welll !!

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Good for you. Jump farther. Meet diffferent people. Allow yourself to avoid fear and worry.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

The area I live in has many outdoor festivals. That's where I would meet my dates. A safe place with lots of people around.

Trusted Contributor

We are everywhere. Smile, say hello. tell people something you do you are proud of.

Honored Social Butterfly

@VOYAGER Vicki................To anyone still naive enough to try online dating, please do mention they should have good protection for their computer. The scam artists are all over the sites. If you find a real person who speaks English as the native tongue, good luck. I think the best way is if someone just happens to be where you are, say a meeting or some public place. There are some of us women who are happily single. I cringe at the thought of washing someone's underwear or making what they want for dinner. No thanks! I say this because men are usually serial daters or want a little housemaid. I am not particularly interested in either.

Soosie

I must say, you can't really make a blanket statement about men like that. There are those of us honestly looking for someone to love, care for, tend to and experience, and spend the rest of our lives with. Not everyone wants a subservient wife. In my opinion, men who want that don't deserve a wife in any context. Relationships of any kind are a two way street. Both parties have to work together on everything, except surprises of course. We are still out there. So keep the faith!

Social Butterfly

@JamesB1962 wrote:

I must say, you can't really make a blanket statement about men like that. There are those of us honestly looking for someone to love, care for, tend to and experience, and spend the rest of our lives with. Not everyone wants a subservient wife. In my opinion, men who want that don't deserve a wife in any context. Relationships of any kind are a two way street. Both parties have to work together on everything, except surprises of course. We are still out there. So keep the faith!

@JamesB1962 

James Thank you so much for your beautiful and hopeful post.

It needs to be brought back to the top of all other comments 

I wish you much luck and success in finding what you dream for. 

Thanks again 

Helping us girls with Keeping the Faith & Hope

Truly a blessing 

Have a beautiful week 

Ginger  :  ) 

PS: @cindyasher29 Thanks Cindy bringing focus on this comment  ;  ) 

Contributor

I just logged on here for the first time ever and saw this message...just want to say "thank you" to the man who wrote this response! You are right and your message is inspiring to me (and to many other women I am sure). I am keeping the faith. Thank you JamesB1962!
Social Butterfly

@cindyasher29 

Hello Cindy 

Welcome to our community here

There are many great topics & threads to read in the community 

DITTO! To your thoughts

@JamesB1962 

JamesB comment was beautiful when he posted it & you brought attention back to it. . Thanks for that Was indeed nice to reread his post.....its very hopeful

I too am keeping the faith

Thanks again for posting & Welcome again look forward to your future posts.

Have a beautiful day! 

Contributor

I'm impressed by your thoughts. Do you have a companion at this time?

Periodic Contributor

Sorry for tbe delayed response, I don't go on this site very often. To answer your question, I am single still.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Sorry for tbe delayed response, I don't go on this site very often. To answer your question, I am single and live in Redmond, Oregon. Where do you live??

0 Kudos
Contributor

I live in Ohio so Oregon is quite a distance away!  Although it's on my bucket list to travel to Oregon sometime.  I saw a documentary called "The Reluctant Radical" (on global warming) and it was filmed in Portland, Oregon.  It looked like a beautiful place.  The interesting thing about the internet, is that it has enabled people to communicate easily from one side of the country to the other.  Yet, it's very difficult for people to meet in person.  As with so many things, there are pros and cons I guess!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I live in Salisbury, MD
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Now days internet dating seems like the way of the world.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@lw52674518 

Hey There lw 

My reply is No & thanks for the comment 

Since you didn't tag person not certain whom your comment is meant for 

Good luck Have a beautiful weekend 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

To lw52674518 - Thank you for the compliment; I appreciate it.  I don't claim to know all the answers on how to meet people but I don't mind sharing my own personal experiences.  If my experiences can inspire anyone in any way, then I'm glad.  Socializing is challenging for a lot of people and even more so for those who are alone and older.  I speak from experience when I say that; becoming more sociable has been a tremendous learning experience for me.  

As for a companion?  No, but I have met someone recently (we've had two dates, so far) but it's way too early to determine if he's companion material.  However, I remain hopeful and will continue to look forward to one day finding a good companion, emphasis on good because that's the real challenge.  I've had companions for most of my adult life, however, not all of them were good companions.  Not looking for another one of those.

Have a good day and a wonderful weekend.

Contributor

No

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Opinions exist to stop closeness. We all have qualities other desire and of course visa versa.  Nothing but self created and maintained garbage keeps us a part. There is love in all of us.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Happily single after a 20 year marriage. Love taking over the king size bed, eating ice cream at 1 am if i want, watching whatever I want on TV, etc.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP