WATCH VIDEO: Friday's Iowa presidential candidate forum. Appearing are Beto O'Rourke, Elizabeth Warren, Marianne Williamson and Andrew Yang.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Where do you meet people to date?

Message 41 of 51

I've been single for three years now after a decades long marriage.  While I did try out several online dating sites, unfortunately, I wasn't impressed with the results I was getting with any of them.  With every new site, I would change my profile, thinking that my profile was attracting the wrong kind of prospects.  I would also put the time, energy and effort in to make the meet and greets as pleasant as possible.  After several different sites, over a two year period, I realized that the whole online thing just didn't appeal to me (and never did). 

I'm an active, energetic, healthy, passionate, intelligent, independent, professional woman who has spent most of her adult life in long term relationships with people who shared a similar mindset and lifestyle.  In the past three years, I've discovered that most of the best dates I that I've had, and most certainly the men who I dated for any length of time (several months), were people I met through someone I already knew.

I have found that attending professional and community functions and events is a great way to not only meet people who work in the same industry as me but to also meet people who live in my neighborhood (I live in a downtown, urban area).  Another way I have met so many really nice people is through MeetUps.  I now belong to several MeetUp groups and I just love all the different types of groups and events that are available - people who enjoy doing the same things that I do.  

Below is a list of the different ways I have met some really great people, some of who I ended up having some really great dates with:

Professional Events Committees

Community Groups & Events

Bowling League

Hiking MeetUps (I belong to several)

Cycling MeetUp

Single Professional MeetUps (so many to choose from)

I think one of the biggest issues that I had with online dating sites is that they are just so passive and really kind of lame and lazy.  If you're looking for someone to develop a "meaningful connection" with, that takes time, energy, effort and space and if you're not willing to put in the time, energy, effort and make the space in your life, then the results you end up with will reflect that. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 51
Congratulations!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 51

Does AARP have a dating site?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 51

Timing and luck are everything. I lost my husband in April 2011. Finally listened to my friends and went on Match.com in 2013. I met a man on the site in December 2015. We dated for a couple months, but then I met another fellow who lived much closer to me. I'm embarrassed to admit that I dumped the first guy due to the distance between our homes only to find the second was a problem drinker. While stuck at SeaTac for ten hours, waiting to fly home to ORD in May 2016, I bemoaned the idea that no significant other cared that I was stuck or was waiting for me. A few weeks later, the first guy summoned up his courage to try again and called me. Coincidentally, it was while he was waiting for a flight at FLL. We resumed dating, and I realized what an amazing Renaissance Man he was and is. We were married in January 2018. In July 2018, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. He has been wonderful as we've dealt with surgery and treatment. At age 69, life is great with a great partner!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 51
Bingo
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 51

I have been successful with online dating.  I have an extra email account not tied to my name, and an extra cell number (Google Voice). I always meet for coffee first (not a big time commitment). There ha e been an occasional false profile,  or a scammer, but they've been quite obvious. Ask questions when reaching out or responding, and look for answers in kind.  No answers? Probably not a 'real' profile. 

I also always, always respond to every single message to me, whether I'm interested or not. 

Cast a wide net, keep an open mind. A good conversation is a win for humanity, whether it leads to a date, or not. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 51

I must say, you can't really make a blanket statement about men like that. There are those of us honestly looking for someone to love, care for, tend to and experience, and spend the rest of our lives with. Not everyone wants a subservient wife. In my opinion, men who want that don't deserve a wife in any context. Relationships of any kind are a two way street. Both parties have to work together on everything, except surprises of course. We are still out there. So keep the faith!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 51

The area I live in has many outdoor festivals. That's where I would meet my dates. A safe place with lots of people around.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 51

Happily single after a 20 year marriage. Love taking over the king size bed, eating ice cream at 1 am if i want, watching whatever I want on TV, etc.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 51
@VOYAGER Vicki................To anyone still naive enough to try online dating, please do mention they should have good protection for their computer. The scam artists are all over the sites. If you find a real person who speaks English as the native tongue, good luck. I think the best way is if someone just happens to be where you are, say a meeting or some public place. There are some of us women who are happily single. I cringe at the thought of washing someone's underwear or making what they want for dinner. No thanks! I say this because men are usually serial daters or want a little housemaid. I am not particularly interested in either.

Soosie
Kudos
Views