Hundreds of AARP member benefits. One convenient place to explore them. Check it out!

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Some Real World Dating Advice for Men Over 50

Message 1 of 52
Ooohhh!!! Wise words dandee76!!! All good things to remember and practice everyday.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 52

One of the magnificent things about human beings is that we have the ability to choose.  Perhaps you can't change the external circumstances, but you can choose how you perceive a situation and how you approach it.  The problem is not the problem, its how you cope with a situation that makes it either positive or negative.  Events in and of themselves can either be good for bad, but what's important is what you make of them.  If you decide to live your life more consciously, then everything - yes, everything - beomes an opportunity for growth and transformation.

One of the characteristics of maturity is recognizing that the outcome of any given situation is far less important than how you cope with the challenge.  The next time you find yourself in a tricky situation, challenge yourself to wring every ounce of meaning out of the circumstance - no matter how disappointing, how unpleasant, how discouraging - no matter what.  Use everything in your life to learn more about yourself.

At  my age I am still learning about myself at age 86 and creating more of what I want.  I work out at the local gym three days a week, take two dancing classes, am on two bowling teams and still work in an office as secretary two days a week.  Do I miss my late husband?  Oh yes - I sure do - he was a sweetheart.  But I am still living and I have a choice to enjoy life or to sit and think about what I "used to have". 

Rember that when you leave this dear earth, you can take with you nothing that you have received; only what you have given:  a full heart, enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice and courage.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 52

BRAVO AnneNonymous1234!!! While I'm not 60 yet (still 55), I can relate to so much of this, especially after finding myself single again (after 21yrs) at 53. So far, I've found so much of the single sex I've had in the past two years sorely lacking in satisfaction and fulfillment. As an active, energetic, healthy and mature woman, who prefers to date men in my age group, I would love to find someone who shares my romantic and sexual goals and desires.

I'm actively out there looking so I'm sure that eventually I will find what I'm looking for (an affectionate, healthy, mature, romantic, lover and companion) but in the meantime, I'd rather be on my own than spend time with someone who just doesn't "get it" that sex is a mutually satisfying experience.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 52

I must admit I enjoy reading everyone's posts on this blog.  

When you get to be my age (86) you settle down and work and live to serve others, to leave the world a little better than you found it and garner for yourself as much peace of mind as you can.

This is happiness!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 52

Yes, I am a guy and I have a guy's perspective. After reading some of the comments, I must say that the differences between women and men may not be that different as one fall into the senior citizen category. As a widower, what I missed was some physical closeness. I could process my grief and keep myself engaged in actitivies with family and friends during the day and few would understand how meaningful a hug is to someone who had a spouse (mine for 44 years). Now I have a special someone in my life (a widow) and physical contact is important to both of us. I would expain more but someone may flag me for "inappropriate content." We are all physical, emotional, and spiritual human beings. All three elements need attention to fully enjoy life. My wish for others is that they don't give up and say some part of that combination isn't important. Please try for yourself and you may improve someone else's life, too.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 52

Very interesting and informative response.  I believe it is written by and for a man.  The use of the word 'lazy' kinda gave it away for me.  I thank you and hope it is helpful for other men.  I wrote a blog primarily for women who find themselves in a similar situation.  I, too, hope it is helpful or at least produces a smile.  

https://sexover60.wordpress.com/

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 52

First off, you can't be lazy about finding someone. I am retired and age 65 and a widower for 20 months. I find that dating just didn't feel right a few months after my wife passed away. Someone told me that she had to process her grief for 18 months before dating seriously. I know someone that got married after about 9 months after her husband died unexpectantly and is happily married for 10 years later. So the 18 months is a guideline that may or may not work for you. My original point is that just like you had assignments and goals as a working person, finding a significant other requires the same kind of commitment, ambition, and drive. I was lucky to find a beautiful person after many Internet messages back and forth. She lives about 200 miles away. My first visit/date I thought I would visit for a day or two and see how the realtionship felt. Our first date lasted 10 days. A dentist appointment required me to return home for a few days. Please TRY HARD to find this gift. The reward is too valuable to overlook. Yes, you will have half a dozen meet ups that aren't right for both of you. But you may just be lucky enought to find a new love. Be MOTIVATED. I didn't meet anybody at Walmart or in church activities. Embrace the Internet sites. At the minimum you will have fun engaging with new people.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 52

A few years ago we wrote that we met on the Internet. We have been together for over four years now. Over these years we have talked to numerous couples that met as we did. As successful as all of us were it was not without bruises and scrapes. We decided to write a book entitled “The Second Time Around-A Guide Through The Maze Of Internet Dating”. We wrote this book simply to help others get through the maze of internet dating using real world internet dating experiences. Our goal is to allay the fears of those who are not sure about internet dating using a step by step approach. We give some real-world guidance to this process from the prospective of both Dee and I. Finally, we want to help others miss the potholes and avoid the false starts and stops that many of us had.

You can get more information and download a free chapter and/or a checklist at https://authors-russanddee.weebly.com .

Webster Russell
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 52

I wish you success!  I feel very lucky to have found the right person for me. Turns out he's been hanging out in my past all along. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 52

AnneN730399

• Thanks so much for sharing this with me. I Loved the Blog.   Nancy
Kudos