What's a 'skimmer scam?' Find out on AARP Live. Watch at 10 p.m. ET.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Some Real World Dating Advice for Men Over 50

Message 1 of 37

I live among 125,000 senior citizens in a senior community that made headlines worldwide as being a hotbed for senior sex. The reality here is that due to the death of husbands before wives, there are ten single women to every one man. The competition for men is fierce and the men are in such demand that they do not want committed relationships most times. 

I am married and get hit on by women. If you have a pulse, you are attractive to women here. Seriously, most are looking for someone who treats them good and has a good sense of humor. At least that is what I heard a group of single women saying. They want someone to make them laugh every day.

I think where you live and your circumstances determine what women are looking for in a man in a senior community. We have meat market bars and nightly free music, dancing and half priced drinks as the men circle the girls line dancing waiting to go in for the kill. I recommend this place to single guys all the time. Some of the more wealthier women have young men as lovers. Putting their husband's money to good use I guess.

So it really depends on the availabity and quantity of men that determines what women are looking for in a man. A good pension and bad hearth can be very attractive to some women. Smiley Happy

Retiring is trading one boss for the one you married.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 37

Nancy,

You are a young woman.I was 73 when I started looking again.

i found using a dating site was great for the reason I wrote earlier. The one thing I would warn you about is letting your loneliness for your common sense. It happened to me and it was a mistake. I caught myself before it was to late. I tried again and had success.

if this old fart can do it you sure can.

Russ

Webster Russell
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 37

RichardC415992,

Have you come up with another ideas? About meeting people our age,  I am 54, still have a lot to offer . If you have any ideas please pass them on.. Nancy 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 37

Good for you, 

I know  the feeling the loneliness at our age is the worst.  Just to even bounce ideas of of someone would help. Just  to have a normal  conversation with a person my age 54  would be great... Nancy 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 37

I had not dated for over 1/2 century. My 50 year old son was no help so I thought about asking my grand children and well no.

there is no reason to be afraid. I chose a dating site. It offered options, and privacy. If I found some one of interest, I could ask questions via message. If it went past that I could due due diligence.

What is difficult is realizing who you really are and who/what you are looking for. Until you answer these questions do not start. I say that from expirience, I didn’t at first and made a recoverable mistake. 

I wnt went back to the drawing board, and had success. she and I  have been together for almost 4 years now.

Webster Russell
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 37

To noblefool,  I love what you say about the look.  It brought a smile to my face remembering when my late husband and I had some people over for dinner, my friend said to me “I can tell how much you love him just by the way you look at him”  what a blessing for her to say that in front of him as he passed a year later.  

But it after being alone, not dating for 12 years, can we ever find that again.  I’m afraid to try.  Am I the only one?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 37

RichardC415992,

Why don't you try to join a Meet Up. You can meet like minded people and have a great time too.  There is no charge  for theses groups and you never know who is out there for you. Nancy 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 37

Glad my post about Meet Ups was helpful. The old fashioned way still may work. Nancy 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 37

I love meetups.  While online dating sites are great if you’re into volume dating, for great dates, there is still nothing better than the old fashioned way.  Remember those days where you actually meet someone first, typically doing something you both liked doing.  Some of the best dates I’ve had since being single again, I met through meetups.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 37

Try starting a MEET UP. You can start anything,  walks,  hikes,  movies. You can meet like minded  people  and have fun too. Nancy 

Kudos
Views