Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Share your love story here!

Message 11 of 22

Sorry but my love stories are highly confidential!  🤫

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 22

My wife and I just returned home from a wonderful Valentine's Day dinner at our favorite restaurant.  This year we are celebrating 52 years of having met at a high school Valentine's Day dance.   I was a  sophomore and she a freshman.  All I could think was how beautiful she was.  We continued our relationship through high school.  A year after high school I enlisted in the U. S. Navy Nuclear Power Program, which was a 6 year commitment.  Not sure at the time how it might affect us.  Well, it didn't.  We maintained a long distance at times and I would get home to see her as much as I could.  Two years after enlisting, we got married.  She was 19 and I was 21.  I ended up doing 6 1/2 more years in the Navy.  We were young and away from home.  Also, our first child, a boy, arrived 11 months after we were married. Over the next 5 years we added 4 girls to our family.  We returned home after my discharge and raised our family surrounded by family and friends.  We both had great careers which allowed us to retire comfortably.  We now thoroughly enjoy our retirement, our 5 children and 12 grandchildren.  We will be married 47 years this September and hope to spend many more years together.  We are not only husband and wife.  We are best friends.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 22

We communicated on an online dating site for about a year.  We did not live in the same town and chatted when we were not seeing anyone else.  Finally, I asked him why he had not asked me for my phone number...so he asked. We chatted on the phone a few times before he said he would like to meet me.  We lived about an hour and a half away from each other.  We were both very busy people and we just couldn't get our schedules to open.  Then we got to a particular weekend and he said he was going White Water Rafting with his sister in Gatlinburg,TN.  I laughed and said I was having a family reunion in Gatlinburg.  He asked if we wanted to meet there.  I told him I didn't know how busy I would be with the family reunion, but he could call me. I arrived in Gatlinburg before him and he called me when he got there.  I still wasn't sure I wanted to take time away from my family so I told him to call me the next day in the afternoon.

The next day I was getting everyone out the door to their activities (we had 30 people there) and my brother asked me what I was going to do.  I told him stay at the house with our mother. He asked if I wanted to join his family white water rafting.  I loved white water rafting!  My mother told me to go. So, off we went to the rapids.

We were getting our raft out of the river when who should I see walk by...my future husband!  Yes, we exchanged pictures.  I couldn't believe it.  BUT...I was soaking wet, vest and helmet on so I turned and walked the other directions with my neices.  Something told me to turn around, so I handed my vest and helmet to them and took off running after him.  I kept yelling his name, but he didn't turn around.  Later he told me his brother-in-law told him someone was calling his name.  He told him he didn't know anyone there.

Finally, I reached him and said his name one more time, he turned around and I stuck out my hand and said, "Hi, I'm L_____" he said, "Hey, I'm supposed to call you!" I replied yes you are. He had to get to the river, so we agreed he would call after he got out of the river.  I got back to my nieces and they asked who was that good looking guy.  I told him, my date tonight.  We went back to our cabin and I got a call right away.  It was a date, we would go out to dinner with his sister and her husband. 

When I came down all decked out for the date, my brothers (all 4 of them) were all there discussing this date.  They drilled me and drilled me and demanded that he come to the cabin and meet them first. (Memories of my dad and teenage dating was coming out!) I told them I would be fine and left to go and meet my date and his family without the approval of my brothers. 

We had a fun dinner at Dixie Stampede and then we parted from his family and he said, what should we do now?  I didn't know...he said, let's go back and let me meet your family!!!!!!!  Was he CRAZY!  My brother's would eat him alive. Somehow he convinced me to go back to my cabin and hang with my family.  On the way he asked if I wanted to pay a joke on the family. (I was always up for a good joke.) I said sure, what do you have in mind. He said, go in without me and act like you had a terrible date.  Okay, I could do that. 

So, I he stayed outside and I walked in and my teenage neices were there and asked how my date was.  I said TERRIBLE very loud.  The whole place went silent.  I said I needed a glass of wine. I opened the fridge and grabbed my bottle of wine that was not open.  I was shaking and my cousin said he would open it for me. My mother finally asked "WHAT HAPPENED?" I turned with great big allegator tears and said it was the worst date that I had ever been on and I couldn't believe I wasted my time at the family reunion for this guy. I got my glass of wine and said I was going outside, I did not want to talk about what had happened and I wanted to be alone and not to follow me.  I proceeded out the door and found my date standing there, I was telling him about my academy award performance when the door opened/he jumped to the side of the cabin.  It was my cousin demanding to know what had happened.  I grabbed my date and said nothing, you want to meet him.  He died!  He could not believe the quiet one in the family had just pulled off this prank.  He told me I needed to get inside because my brothers were huddled together trying to figure out how to find this date of mine. So, I opened the door, (the entire family was in the room now) and I said....Gotcha, who would like to meet him!  My brother's were stunned.  They handed him a beer and said he had the biggest cahoonas they had ever seen. We then went back into town and went on go carts and played putt putt golf. After such an amazing first date.  I knew we were destined to be together.  We married a year later.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: My Officer and a Gentleman

Message 14 of 22

Steve and I officially met in October 2017, and the attraction was instant.  We emailed each other in 2015 through Match, and I was chicken to meet with someone online.. we later exchanged emails through POF in the summer of 2016, and had our first date at Pizza Rock, and when we hugged each other - we knew.  We had our 2nd date in November, and then a 3rd date in December and were inseparable from there on.  We both had some historical baggage to unload, but we did.. We held hands every where we went, he was a perfect gentleman and he always put me first.  I never had that before.  We went on a road trip, and he surprised me by playing the Eagles song "Take it Easy" while we stood on the corner of Winslow, Arizona.. Valentines Day last year we went to Reno - and we exchanged hand written valentines day cards, we walked along the river - played black jack and video poker, we danced in the street.. we took rides on the motorcycle around lake mead, and to Prim.  We walked downtown and on the Strip.  He sent sweet messages, and brought me little gifts where ever his business trips brought him.. He drove home early from one of his business trips, 500 miles just to be with me.  We shared everything together.. He was retired Navy, 22 years of service, a Master Chief responsible for Nuclear operations on aircraft carriers.. smart, funny, kind and an amazing man - a true romantic.. our time together was limited and unforgettable.. our time together was the best in my life, and I will forever hold him in my heart.. we were in a tragic motorcycle crash on April 28, 2018, he didn't make it.. he saved my life, he always made sure I was safe, he showed me true love through his actions..  Today, in his honor, it's a beer and coney at the "D."  His favorites.. Cheers, hugs, love and kisses to Steve, my love bug, my best friend.. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 22

My husband of 35 years had a fatal stroke in 2013.  After grieving for about a year and a half I finally had to tell myself that now I am just "one of the girls".  All the men in my age demographic (70-80) , if they were still alive, were married and mostly in very bad shape.  I had been taking a qigong class for about 10 years in the same place.  One day 2 "old" men walked into the class.  One of them almost didn't make it through the hour, but the other one stayed and we talked for a while after the class.  To make a long story short, we wound up still together after 4 years.  He is 10 years younger than I am.  I go to his band gigs and do rock and roll dancing to get everyone else up to dance.  I go hiking with him.  We do all kinds of things together.  Being an artist, he is much more romantic than any other man I have ever met.  My message is, don't give up hope ladies, even if you are three quarters of a century old.  There might be someone else out there for you to spend the rest of the century with.  Just keep going out there yourself.  It could be dance or qigong or tai chi or art or whatever classes, talking to the guy behind you in line at the grocery store, going to church.  Anything that puts you with other people.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 22

I am so sorry for your loss. I enjoyed reading your love story and I am glad you and Dan got to spend so much time together. Losing a loved on to Alzheimer's is truly the long goodbye but sounds like you made sure Dan was in a place where you could help care for until he passed away.  That is a definite tribute to the love you shared.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 22

Back in 1980, before Al Gore "invented" the Internet, many universities in the Midwest were connected by a computer-based education system called PLATO. Users could chat in real time (each with one line of orange letters at the bottom of the black screen--where you had to erase each line to type the next line), send emails (called personal notes), and participate in online bulletin boards (called forums). A grad student in psychology at Iowa State, I was using the system to create a program to teach counselors how to interpret a career interest inventory. I "met" folks from all over the Midwest and frequently chatted or send personal notes to several. I found myself becoming particularly close to a man who worked in the audio-visual library at Rush University Chicago. After five months of chatting, William volunteered to take Amtrak out to visit me for a weekend. I had to drive down from Ames to Osceola to meet his train, which arrived at 12:30 am on a cold night in November (after watching the Who Shot JR reveal episode of "Dallas").

We had never exchanged phone calls or even mailed photos so I had only a rough description of him -- tall, brown-hair and bearded, wearing a camel-hair coat. I feared I would have trouble picking him out but (unsurprisingly in retrospect), the only other passengers to disembark in Osceola were a mother and her three small children. William and I hit it off in person better than I expected or even dared to hope. His two-day visit quickly got extended to four days. We determined there was something there and spent the next 18 months communicating daily via PLATO (which was free--the perfect price for a grad student's budget), sending letters, and splurging on the occasional long-distance call (on weekends or after 11 pm when the rates went down). We then moved together to Austin, Texas to begin sharing daily life together. 

We moved to Connecticut after I completed my predoctoral internship. Five years later, we moved to Chicago,  We got married Labor Day weekend four years ago, just a few months after same-sex marriage became legal in Illinois. Later, after five apartments, condos and townhomes; eight cats; innumerable family gatherings; as well as funerals for all four of our parents, we happily celebrated our 38th anniversary of coupledom this past November.

To celebrate forty years together, we have already booked a Viking River cruise up the Rhine for 2020 with another couple. Neither William nor I can imagine life without each other. Apparently, my siblings can as they teasingly told me if William and I ever broke up, they would keep him instead of me! I am glad they love him so much too!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 22

What a lovely story!  You two were destined to be together, even though you were a "jerk" in high school!  LOL!  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 22

My wife said we met in high school, and I was a jerk. We married when I was 58 and she was 55, so high school was a long time back to remember. We connected on Facebook in 2013, after I sent her a birthday greeting in late September, 2013. She responded and suggested we meet, which took about two weeks, so there was a lot of texting and phone time, getting acquainted before our first date. By the time we actually got together, I felt that I knew her, and I had a warm and tingly feeling around her. We met at a restaurant and talked like old friends for hours and were holding hands before the evening was over. There was an overwhelming feeling of connection, we knew there was something special happening. We are both Christians, and belive the meeting was inspired by God. 

I spent as much time as I could afterwork at her home, it just felt right. I missed her when I wasn't with her, to the point of having an ache without her near. I invited her on a business trip in November, about 4 weeks after our first date. On the drive we talked about everything, and it was just so comfortable; I was In Love! I proposed during the drive, and she accepted. We started to plan a wedding, but decided just to have some family and friends with us, and had an official marry us in December. So from first date to marriage was about 2 months.

We have been married now 5 years, and know that the Lord was who brought us together. My wife has a lot of health issues, so I have been her care giver. The 5 years have been challenging, but we have gotten to know each other, and are becoming as the Bible calls us to be, "two become one". We did finally have a church wedding, July 4th, 2015, a date we can't forget. I love my wife, my beautiful bride!

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 22

LOVE STORY - PART 2

April 15, 1998

Dan knew that I loved to dance and he agreed to come to one of the country dances being held one weekend.  He didn’t know any of the line dances but he was able to do some slow numbers, like the two-step without too much trouble.  One of my “friends” came up to me while I was in the ladies room and said to me “Gee, Dolores, that fellow you are with is quite old, don’t you think?”  This upset me.  I told her that he was only eight years older than me but that he was a very nice fellow.  She just smiled and walked away but her words left a sting in my heart.  I was angry at her for saying what she said and I was angry at myself – questioning if I was doing the right thing in seeing Dan as often as I did.  All I knew was that I was happy when I was with him.  And lately, I was with him a lot.  He spent more time over my house than he did his own house.  And I always felt so happy when he arrived, seeing that big smile on his face.  We would spend many evenings together, just sitting together on the sofa watching TV or having a bite to eat.  Then he would drive home and there would always be an email from Dan in the morning.  This went on for months and months and then one day Dan asked me to marry him.    I had a feeling he was going to ask me and I had pondered that question many times.  I really loved him and wanted to be with him forever and forever but I would never in a million years give up my religion.  And Dan was a strong Presbyterian – he was even an elder in his church (comparable to a deacon in my church). I tried explaining all these things to Dan and it started to get very complicated.  So I decided that we would just live together without benefit of marriage.  That worked well for a while but my conscience got the better of me.  I was tired of going to Confession and telling the priest that I was living with a man without benefit of marriage.  This was really causing me lots of discomfort.   Dan sold his house and moved in with me and after a while we decided that I would sell my house and we would buy another house.  We spent every Sunday going out with real estate people looking at houses.  We found nothing we could agree on.  We were looking locally because I really wanted to be close to my daughter and new grandchildren.  We almost bid on one house and then we changed our minds and went to a new agency.  And that’s how we found the house that I now live in.  It was in a senior development, very quiet neighborhood and the house had a beautiful Florida Room that we both fell in love with.  Our houses sold fast and we made all the arrangements to move.  And there were a lot of arrangements to make. 

I applied for retirement from work because the house we bought was in south Jersey.  Everyone sent me email telling me how much they would miss me.  I started to cry and question whether I was doing the right thing.  I did love my job but my boss was literally driving me crazy.  I had to be on call every hour of the night and day.  I was good at what I did but I questioned whether I wanted to do that for the rest of my life.  No – I what I really wanted was to be with my Daniel the rest of my life.   All of Dan’s things were already in my house and garage and all that had to be moved also.  We moved into our new home on August 4, 2000.  After the closing for the new house, we took the keys to our new home and went to it and walked through it again.  Before we got there, we stopped a local deli and bought some sandwiches and soda and brought it with us.  We sat on one of the steps in our Florida room and ate our lunch there and just laughed and laughed.  I thought to myself “I feel so happy being here with Dan.  It will all be okay!”  Well, it was more than ok – it was heaven!  Dan was the sweetest most wonderful man any wife would want.  Dan felt the same way – evidenced by all the beautiful poems he constantly wrote me.

So, the next day was moving day.  Such chaos!  Our garage was stacked high with boxes, his and mine and we had no idea how long it would take us to “get settled”.  I started with all the kitchen stuff so I could at least get some cooking done.  Dan came with over 2,000 books and we had no idea where we would put them.  Eventually, we hired a carpenter to make book shelves in our family room and that’s where they all are, even to this day.  Dan was an avid reader – there was always a book in his hands.  Many times I’d be watching TV at night and he would be sitting in the (library) as we called it and then he would saunter in and sit with me to watch what I was watching at the time.  Dan always had a night time snack, either ice-cream or cookies or both.  He ate these things profusely but never gained an ounce.  I was eating the diet jello, sugar-free ice-cream popsicles, etc.  About a week after we moved in I received an email from my sister Nancy that Mom was coming to stay with us for two weeks.  She never asked me – she just announced that ‘Mom is coming to stay with you’ while she went on vacation with her girlfriend   I freaked out and got the spare bedroom ready but there was not enough time to unload all the boxes from the garage.  With Dan’s help, we got through those two weeks.  My mom always loved Dan, he was so nice to her and she just lapped it up.  He would accompany her on her walks, sit and talk with her.  She just loved all the attention that Dan gave her.  I saw that she was happy and that make me happy also.

Dan had the travel bug and it made him so happy to travel.  I was not happy flying in planes; in fact I was really scared most of the times we flew.  Not Dan – he would get excited like a small child every time we ventured to a new country.  Dan was such a sweet man – I would have done anything to make him happy - and so we travelled to over 49 countries.  Every time we got home I wanted to bend down and kiss the living room floor – that’s because I was so relieved to be home!

After we moved, Dan started coaching girls’ basketball games for the local community.  Of course, guess who did all the typing for him – me.  I was like his personal secretary.  I typed all the letters to parents, all the schedules, bulletins, announcements, etc.  I made cookies for all the teams and parties. 

I had been running the mental health meetings in north Jersey for almost twenty years and when we moved here the local Presbyterian Church let me have the use of one of their meeting rooms.  So every Wednesday night, Dan and I would drive to the church, set up our supplies, etc.  Dan was a big help to me for all of these meeting.  I couldn’t have done it without him.   Dan was my assistant for many years until his health failed and he was unable to continue.  I now run my meetings by myself and I really miss my dear sweet Daniel.  I think of him every day and keep looking at all our wall pictures that bring back so many wonderful memories.

Dan started to have memory problems.  I was getting phone calls from doctors telling me that Dan had missed an appointment, etc.  That was just the beginning of a long, long process when I really started to notice him changing.  I made an appointment with a neurologist and the doctor told me privately that Dan was in the early stages of Alzheimer’s and to use his words “it will get worse”.  He prescribed some medicine but I can actually say that it didn’t help him.  I just told myself that whatever it was, I would take care of my Daniel and that was it.  He would fall down lots of times and I tried and tried to pick him up and hurt my back at times.  We bought him a special walker but that didn’t help much.  One time Dan fell in our driveway and one of my neighbors had to come over and help me pick him up.  I still would not face the fact that he was getting worse – I was so determined to take care of him myself.  I worried about him as I was still working two days a week and I would call home to check on him.  His memory got progressively worse.  When I would leave the house I would type a note in very large letters and tell him where I was and when I would be home.  I would leave copies in his bathroom and on the kitchen table.  He was usually a sleep when I left in the morning.

One day I left him a note that I was going to the Shop-rite and would be back in one hour.  Again, I left him a note in his bathroom and on the table.  I was back in less than an hour and when I drove up I saw two police cars in my driveway.  My heart felt like it was going to explode – I was so scared that something bad had happened to Dan while I was away.  Evidently Dan had woken up shortly after I left the house and decided to call the police to report his wife was missing.  Everyone started to tell me that I couldn’t go on like that and I was finally convinced that maybe we should consider placing Dan in a nursing home.  I put that idea out of my mind but bad things kept happening and I was finally convinced that for Dan’s safety, that was my only answer.

My daughter helped me to look at different nursing homes but I decided to take the one closest to our home – that way I could be there every day.  I will never forget that day as long as I live.  I didn’t want to bring him there – but I knew I had to.  I think I was more upset than Dan.  Dan had a private room and the place seemed to be nice but I felt so torn up inside.  I had the thought that I should be the one taking care of my Daniel, not some strangers.  Every day I walked in he would smile at me and I would ask him how he felt.  His reply was always the same “well, as long as you are here, now I am happy.”  Leaving him there at closing time was hard for me – I always walked out with tears in my eyes and I would cry all the way home in the car.    Dan was in the nursing home about eight months and I didn’t miss a day to be with him.  On the two days that I worked, I would get there about 5:30PM but on all the other days, I was there every day.  I would put him in his wheelchair and push him up and down the hallways, visiting other patients, going to the rooms where they had entertainment or games.  On Sundays I would push him into the room where they had religious services.  It was always a different faith group that was there but I didn’t care.  I just wanted him to be with other people.  Sometimes the group would sing religious songs and I would sing with them and try to encourage Dan to sing with me.  He would just smile but would not sing. 

One Sunday I wheeled him into the room and there was a religious group there and they handed out sheets with words and music on them.  Everyone started to sing, and I joined in and tried to get Dan to sing but he wouldn’t.  Then they started to sing the following song:  “Jesus loves me – this I know – for the bible tells me so.”  All of a sudden, Dan looked up and me and smiled and started to sing the song in a loud voice.  He knew all the words because that was one of the songs he had sung in his Protestant church as a child.  I was so taken aback I started to cry and the minister came over to me and asked me why I was crying.  I tried to explain to this kind man that I had not been able to get Dan to sing or join in any of the other services and I was so startled and happy to hear him sing.  The minister just said “Praise the Lord.”  And I did.  Thank you God for letting me hear my Daniel sing that song.  I will never forget it.

My dear Daniel passed away about a year ago and I still miss him terribly.  I know that he would not want me to feel so sad and so I have become very active in so many things locally.  I joined two local bowling groups, two country-line dancing groups, still work part-time two days a week as secretary and work out at the local gym every other day.  I just wish I knew what to do to not feel so lonely.  I miss going to the movies with someone, stopping for a bite to eat with someone, going for a walk with someone, just sitting and talking with someone.    For all of you who are still married – you are so fortunate to have someone in your life.  Enjoy every moment you have together and when you go to bed at night, thank God for all his blessings.

Kudos
Views