It’s Brain Health Awareness Month! Check out Staying Sharp and its new features designed to support brain health.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Share your love story here!

Message 1 of 22
This story touched my heart so much! Thank you for sharing your beautiful life of love and happiness.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 22

I lived in a suburban community from birth until I was in my 30's.  The town I lived in was full of people that had lived there for many years, all of us kids knew eachother and were very close.  My crush who was 4 years older than me, lived 3 houses down accross the street. He was this gorgeous athletic guy, but at that time I was so young, all I could do was laugh at him. 

In 6th grade, I was walking home from a basketball game from middle school when a car pulled up and wanted me to get in.  I ran behind a large snowpile and I stayed there for a long time.  All the sudden my secret crush comes walking up.  He looked down and asked me what I was doing.  I told him what happened and without a question he walked me all the way home.

30 years later, I was on Facebook and I saw that he had an account.  I messaged him, asking if he remembered me or that incident.  Well, he remembered me!  Where I lived and all the people I had also known.  We had so much to talk about and he was so much fun!  So, here we are 39 years later, and we are so in love!  I have known this person my whole life, and we are now planning a life together and we are crazy for one another!  We were 700 miles away from eachother for 39 years, and found love where we least expected to. 

It comforts me to know that I'm going to marry a man I have known my whole life.  I know his family and he knows mine, and where he comes from.

I am 51 and he is 55 and we are living life to the fullest!  I finally got my football player!

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 22

My wife, and I have been together since 2nd grade when her family moved into our home town. We grew up together, attended school together, as well as school and church activities. We were never romantically linked although I did take her to a dance or two during our high school years.

We then pretty much parted ways - we both went to the same university, she in nursing me in finance. However, I was unsure of what I wished to do so after one year I decided to "see the world "courtesy of the US Army). I

inlisted in the US Army and spent 3 years there with the last 21/2 year in Germany. Towards the end of my enlistment, I decided to send  a letter to my life time friend and did so. 

At that time my future wife, wishing to write to me. asked my Mother for my Army address. She had a summer job at the nursing home in the town where we grew up and my Mother at that time also worked there. Mom gave her my address and after work that day she went home to write the letter. and there waiting for her was  my letter that had arrived at her parents house that day. We began corresponding after that (I had about a year left in my enlistment) until I made it home. We then began dating, and were married 8 months later.

We have been married going on 51 years. We have 3 grown children and 11 wonderful grandchildren oldest 18 youngest 5.

To continue our story at age 51 , we purchased three modest homes that we remodeled as care homes. My wife  managed nursing and caregiving staff in these homes for five years taking care of 30 senior citizens. At that point I also resigned and we then managed these homes together until age 61

At age 61  we decided to sell and retire.We chose this as my wife's parents both died at an early age due to heart issues, her dad at 61 and her mom at 71. We wished to be able to spend some quality time together maybe do a little travelling but mainly spend time spoiling our grand children.

We had 12 wonderful years  before the sky fell.

My wife experierenced kidney failure in 2015 and was told it would take 5 to 7 years to get a transplant unless she had someone willing to donate.

To make a long story short ,I donated a kidney (not to her) but to the Mayo hospital pairing program where the individual needing a kidney is guaranteed a live donor kidney within one year if she/he has someone who will donate.Jan received a kidney in 5 months, one month before she would have had to go on dialysis.

The last part of the story is that my wife has since then broken both shoulders in falls in 2015 , had 2 stokes (August and Dec. 2017)and had to have a hip replacement this last January caused by the prednisone she was taking to prevent rejection of her kidney.

The wonderful news is that she is now well on the way to recovery, hip surgery was a complete success. I have been her on again off again  caregiver since her kidney transplant up until this last year when we were able to turn on her Long Term Care Insurance.She now has wonderfull caregivers 8 hours a day taking the load off of me.

And the best part of this story is that one year after the strokes, we started travelling again, visiting our "out of town"children and grandchildren and also managed to take a cruise with friends from Quebec City, Quebec to New York City. 

We continue to plan trips and be as active as we can be with our friends.We have tickets to an oldies dance, a duwop dance, and a St. Patty's day dance in the next few weeks. And are again planning trips to family and maybe a trip or two on our own.

Our journey contiues

Wish us luck

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 22

Awe so sweet. I’m sorry for your loss but but happy for your find many years before. Good story. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 22
I met my husband on April 9th, 1972, at a local bar, I told him a man was bothering me, and asked him if he would dance with me, the rest is history. It was love at first site. I proposed to him 3 days later, April 12th., he said yes. We were married that same year 4 months later on Aug., 12th., 1972. We were married for 34 years until he passed in August of 2006, 1 week after our 34th. anniversary.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 22

We had seen one another across a crowded, smoke filled room. It was a night club I had gone to with a friend. There was a man chatting me up I had zero interest in. I basically wrote that I was alone and welcomed him to join me. I had my friend deliver the note. That was in September of 1988. My life would never be the same. 

We hit it off immediately! This attraction between us was out of this world. His name was Raymond. I never called him that! Always Ray or Ray Babe. He was 13 years my senior, but hedged on that for awhile. Well, unti November 29th while out for his birthday. Someone said "Happy 40th Ray!!" 40? You said you were 37! No biggie!! By this time I was in love deep. Seeing him always gave me a heart-pounding, butterflies in the stomach feeling. I'm a Cosmetologist , as you can imagine I was a high maintenance girl!! We dated exclusively for a year or more. Or so I thought. Sometimes I couldn't find him (no cell phones back then) I knew he did sports trivia and stats with his brother.

No commitment yet! Committed to being not committed! I was becoming uneasy. I started bartending. A whole new world opened up for me! A whole lot of straight men in my presence 5 nights out of 7!! Guess who became a regular? Oh yes he did! I had been asked out numerous times and I thought that might help him to decide that I was the one!! I told him I had to talk to him one night. I laid my cards on the table; Either you make a commitment to me or I'm going to date. He said fine, which kinda wrecked me! I know how my heart feels and it's all about him! What to do??

I accepted 2 dates that weekend. Date 1 was a very handsome built man. A factory worker. We had a lot of fun! He was kinda shy. Date 2 was with Budweiser Distributor. He was kind of fool of himself and talked a lot about himself. Fairly handsome but a smaller built guy. ( forgot to tell you- I'm 5'8", and 40-50 lbs overweight) Well, this went on for a couple of weeks. Ray and I hadn't gone out. Oh, but I was checking in on where he was and with whom! ( it's called stalking these days) No harm...just a casual ride by his house and pubs I know he frequents.

One night I get home and theres this long message from a drunk Ray!! It was crude and rude! My answering machine had stopped it was such a long message- he called back with MORE! I was angry! It was his choice and he made it! He went to Germany for 3 long weeks. It seemed forever. At that time 'Ghost' had come out. ( Patrick Swayze, Demi More) The theme song was "Unchained Melody" by Righteous Brothers.(??) Anyway the crooning, Oh my love, my darling I've hungered for your love...I'll be coming home. Are you still mine??" When we FINALLY saw each other, the choice was me. It was an evening to remember!❤

We never got married. I did. By default. I wanted that. He had 2 children I could be a step-mom. My mother had died a year before I married. I again went to Ray- asked if he would marry me. He stood fast in the bachelor mode the rest of his days.

My marriage was short-lived. I got very ill. Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis. I was on oxygen, high doses of prednisone and in the hospital more than out. I moved back to my hometown where family could take care of me.

Ray and I saw each other after that several times. Then it got to be where he wouldn't take my calls. It broke my heart.💔

July of 2016, I get a call from Ray's sister-in-law. He had passed. Apparently had liver cancer that he shared with no one. His father found him. He was cremated. Not buried yet. When his father goes (he's 99!) Ray, his brother, and parents will all be in a mausoleum in a small cemetery in a small town in Illinois. Where I will visit.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Out Of The Shadows

Message 7 of 22

I was supposed to meet a friend at a lounge called “Shadows” to take her home. This is not something I usually do. When I hadn’t heard from her by bedtime I took my makeup off, put my PJ’s on, and the phone rings. She begs me to come rescue her. I threw my jeans on, brushed my hair and out the door I went to rescue Sheila. While there this cowboy asks me to dance. We danced until Sheila had to give me a break. Needless to sa, Sheila got another ride home while Iand cowboy & I went to Denny’s and had coffee. We spent the next few weekends dancing and having fun (I thought). Fast forward a few months and he had reason to communicate with his ex and just-like-that they want to try again. Knowing it probably wouldn’t work (again), but also not wanting to be blamed for standing in their way, we parted. But I was confused about why, if we were just friends having tons of fun, was I looking for him as I drove up and down the roads just thinking I might spot him enroute to wherever I was going. Fast forward two months: I wrote in my journal how I felt just hoping to get rid of the emotion around it. I thought it sounded so good, I put it in a Halloween card & sent it to him; a little fun mixed with a lot of feeling. I was seriously done, finnished and through with the hole thing. Time marches on and me too. 

I was excited to get a phone message on my desk a few days later from him inviting me to a movie. We’ve been together everyday since & married for 26 years. The moral of the story is this: you can find that special someone when you’re not looking or even looking your best. I am proof of that.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 22

Thanks to EVERYONE who shared their love stories.  I enjoyed reading all of them.  I don't have one to share at this time, but there's always hope!  Heart

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 22

On a hot summer day when I was young, my dad would cut

a huge, oblong watermelon in half.  In those days, watermelons

had hundreds of black seeds that no one wanted to eat.  Instead of cutting slices, my dad would scoop out the center of the watermelon (the sweetest, juiciest part) and hand it to me.

”Find someone to love who is willing to give you the heart of the watermelon,”  Dad would say.

Who knew I would find the love of a million lifetimes in a psychiatric hospital? (We were employees.)

Who knew he would be my boss?  (We didn’t date until I no longer worked for him.)

Who knew our first date would be a wrestling match?  (His pick.)

Who knew our second date would be a Chicago Symphony concert?  (My pick.)

When my friend, Kathy, suggested I consider dating him,

I quickly replied, “Oh Kathy, I would never!  He would drive me

crazy!”  Kathy told that story

at our wedding in 1987.

We are complete opposites.  He is extroverted, I am introverted.  He is loud, I am soft-spoken.  He likes movies with lots of explosions,  I like to read.  He likes the Grateful Dead, I like classical music.  He is a man of action, I am a woman of observation and analysis before I do anything.  He likes to Do, I like to Be.

And yet, for more than 30 years, his face is the first one I see in the morning and the last one

I see at night.  He sees the best in me, when I can hardly recognize it in myself.  He is more proud of my accomplishments than I will

ever be.  He always introduces me as his “beautiful wife” and whenever he says this, I stand up straighter and feel beautiful.

He has held my hand through the births of two miraculous daughters.  He has held my hand when they left home and moved to other states.  He has held me when I cried during my parents’ deaths.  He has held my hand at the movies, and when we just walk around the block.  He has held my hand when I wa close to death in an emergency room.  He has been there when I have learned to walk again, more than once.  He has washed and folded mountains of laundry.  He has washed piles of

dishes.  He has supported and helped me in so many ways.  He has watched over me with more love than I could ever imagine.

He is my wonderful husband, Ed Goldberg, the love of 

million lifetimes.

He has given me the heart of the watermelon more times than I will ever be able to count.

Linda Trytek783834D9-817D-4CCE-88C6-6BC82A02AB10.jpeg

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 22

A fight at a bus stop.
     At the old age of 23, I was deployed one January to Naval Air Station Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico. On a week night one of the guys and I went to a movie and a base club.  After the club closed we went across the street to the base bus stop to catch a ride back to camp.  Some guy started a fight with a couple of sailors off the USS Truckee and my shipmate started chatting up the 3 women sitting on the bench.  Turned out the women were Hospital Corpsmen at the Naval Hospital on the hilltop above our camp.  He chatted them on the bus all the way to their stop and at some point introduced me to them.  They didn't seem interested and a little annoyed at my shipmate. I didn't pursue anything with them.
     Comes the weekend and a group of us guys went to a different club a bit closer to camp. I'm sitting at a table and two of the guys come back to the table with 2 women in tow.  One of them sits down just around the corner of the table from me.  We look at each other and she says, "Didn't we meet the other night?"  And I say, "Yeah, at the bus stop fight, right? Hi."  We didn't speak to each other for the next 3 hours.
     It was getting late and the band was down to their last set.  I finally asked her to dance and she said yes.  We danced once and then the last song of the night was a slow dance.  While we danced, I asked her how she was getting back to her barracks and she said walking, so I asked if I could walk her.
     The club was on top of one hill and the hospital was on the top of the next hill over.  While we're walking down the hill, a car load of guys drive by and one hangs out and whistles.  I hiked up my pants leg, standing on one leg, and yelled, "THANK YOU!!"  Later on she told me she thought we were about to get mugged for that stunt.
     When we got to her barracks, it was after visiting hours so I wasn't allowed in.  We talked a moment on the steps and I invited her to our camp's outdoor movies the next night.  We said our goodbyes and as she stood on the bottom step I leaned in and gave her a little peck of a kiss goodnight.  She reached out, grabbed me by my shirt lapels and pulled me back for a real kiss. The kind where it felt like she was checking to see if I still had my tonsils.  Needless to say we dated the next eight months of my deployment, enjoying camp movies under the stars, weekends in San Juan, tourist type sightseeing, and camping in El Yunque National Forest.  Then my deployment was over in September and I went back to California.
     She took off most of the month of December and flew to California to spend Christmas time with me.  In February, she received new orders to Naval Hospital Oakland, California.  She arranged her flights for a weekend stopover on her way to Oakland.  I picked her up at the Burbank airport on a Friday night on my way back to base from a school in San Diego.  On Sunday, our battalion boarded a plane for a 25 hour flight to Diego Garcia, British Indian Ocean Territory. I was about to embark on a 9 month deployment to a small island that women weren't allowed to be stationed on at the time.
     We'd been together for 8 months in Puerto Rico, and long distance for 7.  In April, I sent her a cassette tape letter.  On it, I asked her to marry me and she said yes.  We were married 7 months later, 2 weeks after I returned to California.  Well, that was 40 years ago this year and she's still grabbing me by the lapels.  She still fakes being mad when I explain to people that the only reason I asked her to marry me was after spending 9 months on an island in the middle of nowehere without women, I'd say anything to get laid.  She says she only married me because she was investing in future value options (think stock market)  She wanted to find out if my assets would appreciate. ;-)

Kudos
Views