Caring for a loved one? Find a part-time job that fits your schedule. Search the AARP Job Board.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Online dating

Message 21 of 25

Hello I have to agree with the others on this one.It's been awhile and getting use to someone else may not be that easy.I have tried on-line dating and u really MUST be careful,All of the sucess stories u see on tv may not be true for u.So try and join some local acvtivies or groups that share your interest and take it from there.Getting over such a long relationship really ,BEST WISHES and GOOd LUCK

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 25

Besides looking in the local newspapers for social activities in your area, you could also check www.MeetUp.com. I think when you register you put in your zip code, then check all of your interests, and it will tell you what groups meet within the geographic area you specify. They allow you to upload a photo, and then you can see people who are members of various groups, and are attending their activities. Some specify the age group, like "Over 40 Walkers" or "Active Singles Over 60".

Some groups are free & you just pay for the activity, if there's a charge. Other groups charge a little, to cover the cost of their being listed on Meet Up.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 25

I agree, meeting people face to face, perhaps some mature adult singles events, adult school classes in something interesting...if I was single I would hang out at Barnes and Noble, then again I'm passionate about books. Whatever your interests there are others who share them.

I went through a phase where I tried online dating. It's really punishing sometimes especially if your ego is fragile already. Some of the sites especially Match have some real losers...you meet them and their profile photo is ten years old...and they smoke like a chimney...and talk endlessly about their ex...all on the first date. One clown forgot to mention in his profile he was a dwarf. Really you don't want to go there.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 25

It would be safer & a better transition for you, to get involved in group activities you'd enjoy, before trying to "replace" your special someone. You might be too vulnerable right now, and not see red flags with people you'd meet online.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Online dating

Message 25 of 25
I have not dated since college, and have been with the person I met in college for 33 years. She has now left me and is living with someone else. I just retired in May and feel so lost and alone. I keep tempting to try online dating, but am afraid of scams and being rejected. Anyone out there with a positive online dating experience? I just need some companionship.
Kudos
Views
Replies