Confused about which vaccines you need? Check out this list of every shot you should get after 50.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Online dating

Message 11 of 22

Hello My Friend ASTRAEA,

I am writing in regards to your message about dating sites, you have mentioned MeetUp. ?

I just want to let you know that I have been to Hundreds of different dating sites in the past 6 yrs, I have learn many different things that are about dating online. 

But the one thing I have learned from theses sites, that 90% of the people on theses dating sites are not very honest about themselves, they may seem innocest but after you talk with them and they seem to turn the table around and they will ask for money or merchandise such as a phone.

I have came across so many people and when you ask them what kind of work they do for a living, they usually will tell you that they lost there job, or they don't work and when you ask where they live they will tell you that they are from the USA, But they will give a story saying I had to go to Africa or Ghana to care for my mother or parents. This is a giveaway Africa or Ghana isn't a glamerous place to live.

This is also something that has come up many times when I wrote to someone online, When I ask what they do for income, they will say that they have a business of their own, 98% will tell you that they sell & buy antiques overseas, this is a scam, BEWARE OF THIS !!!

For myself I have been to Match, Eharmony, ProfilePic, Mingle, MeetUp, Craigslist, there is so many different sites, they are all looking for Money or to have you send Mechandise.

For Myself I am, I have been searching for someone to share my life with from Online Dating, but I am very honest and truthful about myself and the information that I give. I have been taken by a few people online, with sending money.

Which I knew was wrong, but they were very convincing about thermselves and I sent the money, I won't say how much, but I will let you know I could have used that money for something good in my life.

I am a Single White Man Age 53, I live in Northern Minnesota and I have lived a single life and I never had a girlfriend, never had a sexual relationship with a woman, and I have never had kids.

I consider myself to be Honest, Open, Caring, Trustworthy,  and I am very kind and I have been told by others that I am a very generous person.

I continue to search for someone, and I don't drink or smoke and I have a great job that I started in a grocery store 3 yrs ago, as to bagging groceries, I have moved up to being a Manager at this store now.

I own my home and I can't relocate and I live in the country and there is lots of fun and exciting things to do outside, many lakes in the area. 

Sincerely 

Steven Brown

STEVEN E BROWN
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 22

I would REALLY be reluctant to answer your call. Sounds too needy or worse, scam. I live in New Orleans, yeah, French Quarter, but I don't go there. I enjoy the gym, my Unity church, my young grandsons, and my two doggies, one which is 15 yrs old, has pancreatitis, says the vet, and may be dying. Anyway, it's summer everywhere, go outdoors, parks, riverwalk, malls, just walk through the neighborhood. Look up your local AARP, Council on Aging, United way, and volunteer. Better be careful here though. Good luck.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 22
11, the current version.
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 22

What version of IE are you using?  

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 22

What has happened now? The enter key is not doing paragraphing anymore. I do not write run-on sentences ! Also, the menu for boldface, italics, under lining has disappeared. ????????? ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Added the lines to break up the huge block of text with the edit function. __________________________________________________________________________________________ But this is no way to run a railroad, that's for sure. _____________________________________________________________ Am going to go out and come back in with Chrome and Firefox ___________________________________________________________________Maybe this is an IE issue with aarp site

Edit :  Apparenty so.  Using Chrome now,  see the full menu bar for formatting has been restored;  also the paragraghing is again working.    

I hope this is some temporary glitch with IE and AARP,  and not that IE is now a goner on this website ????

Anybody know the answer? 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 22

".... also curious about what makes online dating scammers tick. If it was only money they're after, then they could just steal our credit card/bank information-as the thieves from Russia did with Target customers. But, the online dating scammers spend so much time cultivating their victims, they must get some kind of psychic payoff for humiliating and crushing their victims. ....something to do with the alleged "imperialism" of the west versus the rest. .... Law enforcement personnel who are adept in psychological profiling should weigh in on this matter. " _____________________________________________________________________________________ Well, since no one else has stepped up in ten days...... .

What you are overlooking is that stealing credit card and bank information rises to the level of criminal offenses. In the few instances where these people are caught, they are then prosecuted for their crimes, and convictions are sought. _______________________________________________________________Conning the lonely-hearted online, persuading them to send large sums of money to their new sweethearts, is not as clear-cut for law enforcement purposes. _____________________________________________If the victim willingly sent the funds, as usually happens after the pump has been well-primed, at the request of the new "sweetheart", irrespective of the reasons being given for how the money was to be used, this does not constitute felonious theft under definition of law. (It constitutes gross stupidity, but that is for another thread, another day, isn't it). ______________________________________________________To put it another way - just take out the internet out of it, the "online" aspect of the love affair. Let's say a lonely and very well-off woman meets up with some guy in a local bar, face to face. He gives her a phony name, phony history, lies about his job, his address. Most everything. ____________________________________________________But he lavishes her with attention, pledges his undying love for her, and promises her a lifetime of happiness ahead, just, er, he is having some temporary financial difficulties and it would be swell if she could loan him this, then that, then more. All to help insure their future together. ________________________________________________Months and thousands of dollars later when she finally wakes up she has been fooled, do you think she has a case to take to the police? Of course not. Nothing was put in writing, no loan documents, promissory notes, no written agreements of any kind exist that could be used as a basis to build a case for fraud, or conspiracy to commit. ______________________________________________________________At best, some of these foolish women (and men too) could pursue a civil action against the "love interest" to recover their money. Evidence which is not allowable in criminal trials can be used successfully in civil actions. _______________________________________________________________However, this route is not very practical. It requires locating the whereabouts of the skunk to be served, shelling out money for lawyers and filing fees, and some way to ascertain there are assets or accounts that can be attached to satisfy a monetary judgement. All in all a very tall order to fill._________________________________________________ Plus, despite what you might see on "Dr Phil" or other TV shows, the vast majority of these lovelorn victims are too ashamed and embarrassed to seek any publicity, or draw attention to how utterly dumb they are. __________________________________________________Understandable.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 22

I know you want to avoid online dating scams and the June/July 2015 AARP mag article presents an excellent overview of the problem. Also, this website has a petition to make dating sites more responsible. However, when I watched the Dr. Phil show referenced in the magazine article, I saw a victim who-even in the face of evidence that Dr. Phil provided- stil was in denial about how she was scammed. We can't be so desperate or needy that everyone sees the problem but us. I'm also curious about what makes online dating scammers tick. If it was only money they're after, then they could just steal our credit card/bank information-as the thieves from Russia did with Target customers. But, the online dating scammers spend so much time cultivating their victims, they must get some kind of psychic payoff for humiliating and crushing their victims. Do these scammers go after people in other English-speaking countries or are Americans their chief victims? Maybe, this has something to do with the alleged "imperialism" of the west versus the rest.  Law enforcement personnel who are adept in psychological profiling should weigh in on this matter. 

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 22

Hello I have to agree with the others on this one.It's been awhile and getting use to someone else may not be that easy.I have tried on-line dating and u really MUST be careful,All of the sucess stories u see on tv may not be true for u.So try and join some local acvtivies or groups that share your interest and take it from there.Getting over such a long relationship really ,BEST WISHES and GOOd LUCK

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 22

Besides looking in the local newspapers for social activities in your area, you could also check www.MeetUp.com. I think when you register you put in your zip code, then check all of your interests, and it will tell you what groups meet within the geographic area you specify. They allow you to upload a photo, and then you can see people who are members of various groups, and are attending their activities. Some specify the age group, like "Over 40 Walkers" or "Active Singles Over 60".

Some groups are free & you just pay for the activity, if there's a charge. Other groups charge a little, to cover the cost of their being listed on Meet Up.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 22

I agree, meeting people face to face, perhaps some mature adult singles events, adult school classes in something interesting...if I was single I would hang out at Barnes and Noble, then again I'm passionate about books. Whatever your interests there are others who share them.

I went through a phase where I tried online dating. It's really punishing sometimes especially if your ego is fragile already. Some of the sites especially Match have some real losers...you meet them and their profile photo is ten years old...and they smoke like a chimney...and talk endlessly about their ex...all on the first date. One clown forgot to mention in his profile he was a dwarf. Really you don't want to go there.

Kudos
Views