Watch AARP’s Movies for Grownups awards show online! View the streaming video on PBS.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Missing women met same man online (Arizona Authorities say)

Message 1 of 7

This website has never been as inconsistent as it is now! Although I've periodically confirmed my settings, I DON'T get e-mail notifications for new material, in Discussions to which I'm subscribed .. like this one!

I hate when adults/seniors seem to think that "being optimistic" and "being open to love", translate into setting aside their common sense & gut suspicions, about people they meet on a romantic level & know little or nothing about.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

Definitely good observations and great suggestions, Astraea.  I like the one about taking the pictures and then posting on social media.  That suggestion should be planted in everyone's mind when a loved one is changing courses in a precipitous manner.  If things are happening at a rapid pace, snapping a couple of pics of the "happy couple" can be extremely helpful to law enforcement if the unthinkable happens.  I suppose, if the person in question refuses, a surreptitious photo or two may be obtained and I would go so far as to photograph the person's vehicle and the license plate number.

We always make jokes about "a nurse or a purse" or "the nurse with a purse" but those sterotypes didn't invent themselves.  Good, trusting relationships don't happen overnight as much as we'd like to believe in the legitimacy of being "swept off our feet" or 'love at first sight."  Trust but verify is still the romantic's best friend.

Most people are creatures of habit so they usually use the same bank branch...if they do online banking or rarely see the personnel, there are still "activity" flags which call attention to an unusual request.  This woman may have had a 'hold" placed on her funds and waited it out.  We don't really know the whole story.  She may not have let her children know until after the deed was done.  Selling her home...that's another matter entirely.

What a complex situation...

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

Since these women have actually met the men/man face-to-face, and even introduced them to family members, these seem like the perfect opportunities to take photos & post them on social media! At least friends & family would be able to share those photos with the authorities investigating.

There's absolutely no reason for anyone to "cash out" their assets, just to travel around. Having an account in a nation-wide bank & ATM access, would make it easy to get enough cash periodically. I'm kind of surprised there wasn't/isn't a 2 or 3 day "bank hold" on closing out an account, where the person has to provide good documentation of needing the money faster (i.e. doctor's/hospital letter verification). Maybe bank accounts need to have a "next of kin" identified (as most doctors & hospitals require .. no matter how minor your treatment), and that person be contacted about an account close-out > $10K, just to make sure the account holder isn't being blackmailed/threatened.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

Wow...that's a chilling article!  It reminds me of the young woman who was murdered and dismembered in Seattle earlier this spring.  She was with a man she had met online and they were attending a baseball game.  She followed all of the usual "rules" recommended for online daters to ensure her safety...checking him out, going to a public place, letting friends know where she was...and still, something went awry that night and her new companion killed her.

There are no easy answers to prevent this kind of thing from happening nor to make sure one's parents and loved ones are protected.  Stranger danger is everywhere these days and it seems to be getting worse. 

I'd like to hear what others think about this and any suggestions they may have for keeping one's self, one's friends and especially their loved ones safe from a predator.  We used to worry about children being abducted and harmed in some way...now it appears that no age is exempt. 

How does one decide who is worth the risk when making new friends and choosing new companions?  I think the daughter's instincts were excellent but if the mom felt safe with the man she left with, how could the daughter convince her otherwise?  Cashing out her savings and selling her home to go "on the road" for an adventure were huge red flags but if mom was of sound mind there was nothing her daughter could do to prevent her from leaving.  JMO.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

If your parent has become involved in an online relationship and you are concerned about aspects of the relationship, what can you do about it?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

Just another in many articles about the dangers of inviting basic strangers into your lives and your homes... 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Missing women met same man online (Arizona Authorities say)

Message 7 of 7

With her Arizona home sold and most of her belongings packed up, Nancy Rae Hartz was ready to spend her golden years on the road. Having been divorced and then widowed, she had recently found love again through a dating website, and the happy couple was going to travel in an RV.

When she left Kingman the morning of June 2, 2015, Hartz had a moment alone with her daughter.

"She said, 'Don't worry, baby. We'll keep in touch,'" daughter Denise Baggs recalls.

Baggs spoke to her 72-year-old mother once on the phone three days later and hasn't heard from her since. Now authorities are trying to figure out if Hartz was the victim of a serial predator.

Her disappearance echoes that of two other women, one in Arizona and one in Nevada. The three women lived within a roughly 100-mile radius of one another and were around the same age.

Verna Clayton, who would be 73 now, was last seen in June 2008 in the small town of Dolan Springs, Arizona. Neva Jane Lindley, who would be 77 now, was last seen in November 2011 in Las Vegas. Both cashed out their financial assets just before they disappeared. Both had begun a relationship with a man they met online.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/arizona-authorities-3-missing-women-met-same-man-182023733.html?nhp=1

Kudos
Views
Replies