Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Men: Want To Snag A Date? Get Thee To A Gym

Message 1 of 6

I just found out that the first impressions you mention apparently work for dentists, too. I mean, I literally ran out of the office about 2 hours ago when the new dentist showed up with super greasy hair, a pot belly and a hand-wringing demeanor. This after his assistant managed to cut the top of my mouth while taking Xrays. I thought: no way I want anybody in this office wielding power tools inside my mouth. 

I excused myself by telling them I had other things to do. Smiley Happy  Then I drove across town to make an appt --no longer concerned that it is 5 weeks out-- with my regular dentist, a runner. 

Humorous, maybe, but true. Smiley Happy MY PCP is a marathoner. I want people watching my health that also watch their own. Practical versus theory, call it. Smiley Happy

And hey, @AndrewM977360 kudos for taking fitness seriously. May it serve you well.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

Agreed! Read the study and while the demographic studied were college aged women. However… I think the results would be pretty much the same whatever age group. I've perused my share of online dating profiles and what seems universal is that regardless of your own fitness level, most of us prefer our partner to be in good to great shape. As a fitness guy for decades, I noticed a precipitous drop in the interest when (after a long illness – over now) I fell out of shape. As I walked through the door, women of all ages would first look at my face and then my stomach; in that order. As the first impression is often a visual one, it is helpful to pass that particular hurdle successfully.

Camano Island, WA

Andrew Marin
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

I can tell you that this senior woman prefers a trim, muscled man rather than one with a thick neck or beer belly. (DH looks pretty much the way he did the day we married. Gray and wrinkled, yes, but uber fit.)

I'm especially fond of fit older men. (Not that way) I'm fond of talking with them in order to benefit from their knowledge of fitness and health, to glean inspiration. I find fitness a pretty good measure of intelligence, vibrance, an active mind. Speaking for myself, here, as a married woman, and not as one who is looking to date.

But still, you know?  I bet fat, sloppy and smelling of beer appeals to next to no one. Of any age.

Ladies? What say ye?

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

“The raters were students in their teens or early 20s enrolled at Oklahoma State University and Australia’s Griffith University”. ….”the results might not be universal. The raters were college-age women evaluating the appearance of college-age men”. 

College aged girls like college aged men with muscles. Probably?

It’s been 43 years since I left college and I can’t honestly remember what made the girls drool over me. Or if they ever did? After 43 years as a connoisseur of great beer I worry more about getting a beer belly. My wife would never let me live it down.

As I age my goal is visiting the gym being able to do some cardio and a little weight work all in hopes of staying slim and keeping what working man muscles I have toned.

My advice to single AARP guys forget what the college aged gals think, visit the gym, drink great beer responsibly and it will all come together.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

Of course you can also get stronger by exercising outdoors. The key to dating happiness, according to this study (and conventional wisdom) though, is having muscle. 

outdoor exercise.jpg

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

Men: Want To Snag A Date? Get Thee To A Gym

Message 6 of 6

Heterosexual male gym rats, rejoice! Women, when asked in a study to judge photos of men’s bodies, rated the strongest men as the most attractive. Height and leanness were appealing attributes, too, but strength played an outsize role in the ratings of a man’s torso, per a report published Tuesday in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B.

“No one will be surprised by the idea that strong men are more attractive,” said study author Aaron Lukaszewski, an evolutionary psychologist at California State University at Fullerton. “It’s no secret that women like strong, muscular guys.”

sr gym rats.jpg

There was no nuance to these results, he said. Zero of the 160 women surveyed showed a statistical preference for weaker men.

“That is so obvious, people are going to wonder why scientists needed to study it,” said Holly Dunsworth, an anthropologist at the University of Rhode Island who was not involved in the research. “And the answer would be because they want to know how these preferences evolved.”

Full story: 

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/12/12/women-find-strongest-men-most-attractive/

Kudos
Views
Replies