Science is honing in on better ways to treat chronic pain. Read about it in this AARP series.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Meandering Thoughts About Relationships

Message 21 of 50

This is an interesting thread.  From my perspective (married once for 20 years, two kids, divorced, spent 20 years or so getting my head together, met a very kind and sweet man after many years of single life. We clicked, married pretty quickly, had a very interesting five or so years, then he died. Although I say we clicked, we were so different in most things yet so similar in the fundamental things that matter most. In those short years, I let him crack my psychic and social walls -- we joked that he crashed into my life like Yosemite Sam crashes through a roof.  I think after a few years in my first relationship, I came to feel as you do -- I had a pretty solid wall that allowed a safe emotional flatline and practicality to make life choices.  My second husband was not that type of personality. Some of his choices didn't work out as he hoped, some didn't work at all, some were stellar.  That showed me I could go 'half a bubble off plumb' when it felt right to me even if it might be a little unconventional to others. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 50

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 50

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 50

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 50

It takes a lot of b..lls to admit you're not relationship material. You never know when the world is going to end, especially if the middle east develops a nuclear bomb.  So enjoy life while you can, travel, see the world while it's all in one piece.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 50

Thank you for your share. ( :

Luciano

I would rather be a lion for one day, than a sheep for a hundred years.
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 50

Thank you. I think there are a lot of us out there. ( :

Luciano

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 50
I do not know how old are you but it seem like you have an issue trusting others ,but that oaky, but some times in our lives specialy in later life it is nice to have some one to lean on.no man live by bread alone.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 50

I understand your position.  I myself am a 68 yr old female and I've been married 3 times and am now a widow.  I am not interested in making the effort at any other permanent relationship as I cannot give the emotion necessary to sustain the other individual.  I'm perfectly happy being alone altho I have a daughter with whom I live (in my own separate apartment).  I consider myself happy and well adjusted just not interested in getting too invested in another relationship.  I see you are having a good time as yu are and you seem to understand your limitations.  That is the key.  Good Luck for your future.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 50

That's awesome, Jim. I love to travel myself. I am planning a month long trip to Educador next year by myself. I always make friends on the road.

It's great that you have come to terms with how you are. I'm getting settled in still, but am in a way better space than when I originally posted before I went to Thailand. 

When I think of my future, I only see myself traveling by myself or perhaps with a friend for parts of the journey. I enjoy my company. I always have had more fun traveling by myself than going with a group. It's nice to not have to answer to no one. 

On my Thiland trip, there were four or five couples together and of those only two seemed to really enjoy each others company. I witnessed one couple yelling at each other at one of our hotel stops, another couple sitting on different parts of the bus and barely speaking to each other the rest of the time. I just shook my head and thanked God I didn't have to deal with the drama.

The only thng I miss is cuddling up with a woman once in a while. And I'm not even talking about sex. Just cuddling up under a blankeet and watching a movie, eating popcorn; what I call romantic companionship. I wish there was a number I could call for somebody like that. lol.

Thanks for your share.

L

Kudos
Views