Rethink your job search with the AARP job board. Find opportunities for experienced workers today.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Ladies 70 and older - share your tips for dating sites

Message 11 of 21

TO PERSON RE DANCING, NOT MARRIAGE

I agree with you.  (the male commenting to us women re dance vs realtionships???)

BUT

However, I had been in 3 dance clubs and they are all gone in the twin cities.  We had wonderful dance clubs in st. paul and bloomington and all clubs and prom kind of centers/ballrooms are gone. We do need state chapter wide aarp sponsored weekly dance events. I still do not know what our mn chapter prez does or her board but , 1/ she is not a retiree and 2/ does not get it and 3/ does not get our needs and request

Where do you think I met all my wonderful relationships?  Not in the supermarket or at food shelves or at the library. We are being written off and no one is investing in us at all.

nn
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 21

I know you are new to dating sites.  Iam a retired teacher from Mpls and I go on NO ITNERNET SITES AT ALL.  I do think AARP can provide alternatives as having monthly gatherings, much like college kids have for concerts..fun and safe-using their local chapters or presidents to facilitate this.

It is getting to be a major chore to find and communicate with people on line-I do not trust any on line dating sites.

nn
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 21

I like your comments but I do think we need different directions re: meeting men ...or women and that is gatherings monthly; locally has not worked; have the ol concert college kind of gatherings maybe; people are not meeting people and I have been through all of what you say.  We need forums to get together, can be AARP sponsored; most, I know trust this site.  I go on no other interent site and I do not trust the internet as a whole.

nn
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 21

Oh for goodness sakes.  Why don't the older men realize that we older women do NOT want to get married again!  We just like to have a partner to dance with and go to the movies with or to some social events.  Do not suffer from seriousness - we are not kids any longer or still in high school.  Most of us have been around the block several times.  AND - we don't need their  money either.  I have enough money to support me for the rest of my life.  We just like to still have fun!  I am 86 years old and I still love to dance - I belong to two country line dancing groups and two bowling teams.  I also run a self-help mental help program and have done this for the past 38 years.  As long as you have your health - you should keep active.  I also work out at the gym 3 days a week - eat healthy and take vitamins.  We should try to make our later years fun as long as we still have good health!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 21

Re relationsships with older men , esp.  Try to find a group of older adults who want to be friends and go to movies, games, swimming, day trips,  coffee...and not just 1/mo.  And, what I am finding is that we are fearful of discussing the word relationship, sexual contact, and exactly what is that, basically USE WORDS, needing to communicate feelings, give compliments, laugh and stay together in a group situation.  If you have no one to talk to things bottle up.  Use your group.  I actually advertised for such a group and not a senior center/cards or bingo group.  I am in my early 70's

nn
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 21

@noblefool Hi there, (I am 60+)  I am sure Ladies 70 and older have a good sense of judgment. I often consider that time takes a person to another level of thinking, feeling and doing. There is just not too much that you have to put up with when you get to be a certain age. And you sure realize that it is not worth it and you just don't have to. When you honestly consider your life at this age you really don't want any "drama." The only kind of "stuff going on" that one may allow in her life once she has become seasoned by time is "joy" and "peace." Anything else is for the younger ones. They are still exploring. At 70+ you may still be learning but you are certainly beyond trying to figure out the things that the young ponder. You got it! You lived it! You know it! And although there is yet still much to grow, expand, refresh and renew and to know in your life, you approach it with wisdom that only comes with time spent living on this planet. 

And to all the wonderful ladies 70 and older all the best to you and may you influence and inspire women younger than yourselves to seek authentic, honest and sincere dating counterparts. I believe that your age carries the wisdom gained through your experiences. You carry with you secrets to living that the young only "think" they know. Continue to have zero tolerance for any relationship that does not honor and cherish the rich heritage you gained through time. Some things only come with time. The young need to hear from you and learn so that they will escape some of the erroneous nonsense that is out there in mainstream dating "nowadays." 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 21

Hey there, I was just running by and saw you have some questions.

I am mid 50 something and I just want to share my opinion even if my thoughts may same silly.

I have a few "men" friends that are 70+ old and are single.  They tell me they will stay single the rest of their days and each one has their reasons as to why.  So there are still plenty of men out there in the world that are single and above 70 years old.

Just to give you an idea of what is going on out here in some cases..................the biggest concern most men that are older and wiser then I, tell me that it's just too late to start over and being alone is not so bad.  Some of these men are widowed and choose to remain in Love with their wife even after their spouses passing, which I find admirable.  Some men have been divorced and tried numerous relationships overtime and got tired of being disappointed in having continued failed relationships, regardless of the relationship failure root cause. So while there are some older men on dating sites, their are many men that will never be on them.

There are many avenues to finding that special someone for you.  I guess it depends on what a person is looking for and what type of relationship they want or need. One can use dating sites, which do work for some people, and for some people it does not work out so good. I caution a person "on the fast track" quest for someone, and to always remember:

"You reap what you sow"

I know it can be lonely at times and we often sacrifice our inner desires to be with anybody to just not be alone. The real question is as to what a person wants or needs from another person.

I think the best thing for a person to do is to keep their eyes open without looking for something or someone specific. Keep your eyes open and attached to your heart and see if someone is willing to look back inside of you. Be honest and upfront concerning what you want, need, and what your expectations are in a relationship.

I think the key is to be honest upfront about yourself on dating sites to hopefully help attract a person that interests you and has the same wants and needs as you.

My very best to you and may you find what you are looking for.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 21

Smile. . . at my age I don't look for "Flash Gordons" or "Speedy Gonzalezes." Women who move fast may often have even quicker endings. 

Intelligent matured women who have had long term relationships are not just looking for a male counterpart. We look for "men" who also realize that any thing gained too quickly is often lost just as soon.

I rather have a man with a slow hand and an easy touch about how he lives and embraces life after had already experienced for himself the pitfalls of the fast lane.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 21

OK, I am not single, I am not a woman.  I do, however, have some insight.  I once read an article about how to determine your (female) odds of getting married and the number one question they asked was: "How many new men do you meet a month?" I cannot tell you how many women I know who only meet the new pizza delivery guy. Is that who you want to have a relationship with?

I would also tell you there are aggressive women your age who move like lightning whenever an elegible bachelor appears. Even if that is caused by death. Point of story, don't play shy. Get in there like a roller derby star. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 21

Hello Snowflake:

I too am new to this portion of AARP. I'm 65 and still seek to have a serious relationship. I'm finishing up college in May so I can concentrate on finding a parttime job and having a companion. Been single for 17 years now, and while I have finishing class on my agenda now....it gets lonely at times. I don't have a clue as to how to meet someone nice here. It's so scary in a way. So I hope we get lucky.

Peace and Blessings
Kudos
Views