Today, 1 in 7 Seniors Live in Poverty -- AARP Foundation is Fighting to End Senior Poverty. Read More.

Highlighted
Info Seeker +

Re: Internet dating and Seniors

Message 1 of 11
Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 11

Hi, Jypsy Janet,

I have been using OurTime.com which is a dating site just for seniors 50+.  Not bragging, but I have had over 300 likes on my profile but just one date so far which amounted to nothing.  I don't even talk to the guy anymore.  I have at least 5 others that I email and chat with on the telephone; since the weather's been so crappy here in Eastern Pennsylvania, we haven't been able to set any meeting times up yet, but we do chat and email each other regularly.

One problem that I have with OurTime is that even though you specify that you are looking for people within 25 miles or so of your home town, I still got profiles from people in Texas, California, even Hawaii!!!!!  I complained to OurTime and their excuse was that they do their best to match people close by, blah, blah, blah... I just delete them.  There are scammers on here also.  Watch for poor grammar, misspellings, odd area codes, accents (many are Nigerian), and ALWAYS get as much information about them after your first meeting, always drive yourself to a public meeting place, and NEVER invite them to your home right away!  Good luck! 

Conversationalist

Message 3 of 11
I meant match.com
Webster Russell
Conversationalist

Message 4 of 11

Sure, we used both Math and Our time. Our time is for 50 plus where Match is for all ages. We met on Match. 

Webster Russell
Info Seeker

Message 5 of 11

Can you tell me what site you used to meet?

Conversationalist

Message 6 of 11

We met on the internet. Since we bend together we have met numerous couples that met as we did.

The sites portray internet dating as a slam dunk, it is not. It takes time and patience. It took us 6 months to met each other. I dated several women from start to finish and she dated two guys. Along the way we made some mistakes and learned what to do differently for better results. By the time we met we were more at ease and of course we had chemistry. 

We ended up writing a short story about what our meeting and courting. We are now writing a how to book on internet dating encompassing all the mistakes we made. 

There is something about a second love at this age that is special. It is like the magic when you were young. That combined with your maturity makes it excitingly different. We have been together over two years now and frankly our love affair is better than when it started. I taught her a lesson I learned after I retired and that was never let life get in the way of your love. It has really worked well for us.

Webster Russell
Info Seeker

Message 7 of 11
That sounds like a success story!!! I got divorced about a year and a half ago. How did you meet your significant other? Debbi
Conversationalist

Message 8 of 11

Thank you for the information and encouragement. 

Congratulations on your found love!

Janet

Jypsy Janet
Conversationalist

Message 9 of 11

We used Match and Our Time. We are believers in using more than one site'

If it a you are having a low message rate, re visit your profile and rewrite it if necessary. I rewrote mine at least three times. By the third time the message quantity picked up.  Now if it is a quality issue, well I have to tell you it common to have to dig through a number of bad possibilities to find a good one. We looked for about 6 months before we found each other.

Webster Russell
Conversationalist

Message 10 of 11

What dating site did you use?  I am not finding a lot of luck with Match.com....suggestions?

Jypsy Janet

Jypsy Janet