From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Have you ever used a matchmaker or in-person dating agency to find love?

Message 1 of 14

YES! I met my husband on EHarmony online dating services. 

It is not easy, and yes there are so many phoney people on those sites (It seems more now than ever)!  But you need to be smart not desperate; read or listen to all the warning notices. There are plenty of phoney people out there ready to steal your heart, your money, your dignity - be smart! Ask questions, don't post revealing pics, if someone asks for money use your delete button.

I was on several online dating sites for probably 4 yrs before I met my man. I read numerous profiles that were "just too good to be true" or it was clear they were just out for sex. When I did respond to what I thought was a good canidate, no reply! Which makes you feel even worse thinking you are not good enough to even reply? The couple contacts I did make, sex quickly came up and my reply "Sounds great! what are we going to do for the other 23hrs and 45 minutes?" LOL  And to be honest I probably only connected with less than 5 guys in that 4 yrs because most if not all the profiles were so phoney! I was very LUCKY to connect with the Right guy & married for the 1st time at 55yrs old - We are very happy and going strong! Lucky in love I am Blessed Smiley Happy

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 14

Why pay good money to meet someone when there are plenty of eligible gals in the local pubs, just looking for a chance to hook up?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 14

Why does AARP not have a dating platform?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 14

Which sites are good and which would you rate as poor. I from so cal, you from where? Jim

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Have they ever used a matchmaker or in-person dating agency to find love?

Message 5 of 14

My "friend" Tony once told me that he went to one of those so-called dating sites, and all we was able to get in contact with was these gals from those Russian countries that just wanted to get married so they can become citizens! He tried to get in contact with a few Americans, but none of them would ever write back! It was a total waste of time for him!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 14

Yes! I met the other half of me on an online dating site almost 20 years ago. It was the first time either of us had tried something like that and after his name kept popping up showing a 96% match, I contacted him. We messaged back and forth a few days, then talked on the phone a few more. "What you see is what you get" he told me. We met for the first time in person at my best friend's bar where I knew everyone and everyone knew me - very safe! He always told me that he fell in love that night. We married a year later and spent 14 wonderful years together until he last away in 2015. I do recommend online dating. Just use common sense and caution as you would when meeting anyone new. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 14

I myself have never used one, and l have been divorced over 20 years now.A close friend of mine who is a widow and kinda man crazy probably was signed in to a lot of dating sites.  She ended up being scammed by someone from overseas for over $80,000.

I tried to warn her but she ended sendind all her savings, and even made a large loan, now she had to file bankruptcy, and has a loan now against her paid off home, she is 76, and now has compromised her retirement. 

She would not listen no matter how much l warned her it was a scam. No matter how good some thing sounds to be true,  it almost always is. No one should  ever send anyone they don't personally know any money. See how long they stay around without you  sending any money,  for any reason,  and believe me it will show you their true intentions.  If someone doesn't like you for yourself you will be better off without them. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 14

Although I haven't subscribed to auto-selection dating apps, I do have experience with a three different user-selected interests and engagement.  Results are favorable.  I do recommend online dating.  One must not settle and find/connect with those who have a mutual interest.  My experiences have resulted in more meaningful connections that one or two that went up flames. 

People are people.  We must not become jaded, give in or settle.  Best of luck!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 14

yes, I have used several over the years. There are no guarentees or promises made to finding a mate. It takes caution and persistence to have a successful outcome.  You must ask questions and have a bit of intuition when perusing a mate / companion.  Out of the 7 sites I tried I only went on 2 very public dates. The best thing is to chat online first, get to know one another. Secondly, when setting up a meeting place make it public and always let someone know where your meeting.  Be causious not fearful. Keep yourself safe first and foremost. I am still dating the second gentleman I met and enjoying the time spent together. Mostly I find people are looking for sex.  You must set a standard, guidlines and limitations up front if this is Not what your main intentions are in starting a relationship.  It appeared to me with most of these sites  they are eager for a sexual relationship and want to meet quickly.  If this is what you run acrossed or ever not comfortable with the conversation, then move on to another prospect or site.  Online dating does and has worked for a few friends of mine...it might for you as well. Just use common sense.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 14

yes, I have used several over the years. There are no guarentees or promises made to finding a mate. It takes caution and persistence to have a successful outcome.  You must ask questions and have a bit of intuition when perusing a mate / companion.  Out of the 7 sites I tried I only went on 2 very public dates. The best thing is to chat online first, get to know one another. Secondly, when setting up a meeting place make it public and always let someone know where your meeting.  Be causious not fearful. Keep yourself safe first and foremost. I am still dating the second gentleman I met and enjoying the time spent together. Mostly I find people are looking for sex.  You must set a standard, guidlines and limitations up front if this is Not what your main intentions are in starting a relationship.  It appeared to me with most of these sites  they are eager for a sexual relationship and want to meet quickly.  If this is what you run acrossed or ever not comfortable with the conversation, then move on to another prospect or site.  Online dating does and has worked for a few friends of mine...it might for you as well. Just use common sense.

Kudos
Views