Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Have you ever done online dating?

Message 11 of 39

The Internet was new to me when I was going through my first divorce in the mid-'90s. I came across some dating sites and tried contacting some of the ladies. Most of this was as a charter member of Match, which they told me would be a life membership for being one of the first to sign up.

Despite my searches on line and several nice dates, I ended up in a second marriage with a woman I met at a local dance. That one lasted 8 months and is a long story of its own.

After she and I parted ways, I turned to Match, again, and dated local ladies and even a few who didn't live near me. My farthest travels from Utah to meet someone were Macomb, Illinois; Chicago; Central Michigan; and Pittsburg. Each of those was a separate trip.

I enjoyed my visits with those ladies and seeing some sights I hadn't seen before.

In 2005, after being single again for 8 years, I was recuperating from a cold at home on a Monday morning. I decided that writing just to one at a time wasn't getting me very far. Many were ignoring my responses to their profiles. I'd write to one person of interest and wait for a few days for a reply. After seeing nothing, I'd write to another and wait.

That morning, I decided to try the shotgun approach, so I found several profiles of interest on Match and wrote to each of seven before I ran out of steam.

Of the seven, only three wrote back. To keep this story short, one of those who wrote back became my wife about 5 months later. This is the third marriage for each of us.

It can work, but it's really like any other way of meeting. One can find some things in common and work on building a relationship from there, but it still comes down to all the human factors that nobody can test for and nobody can clearly describe.

Meet in safety, learn and share common interests, weigh the core values against differences, and so on. In the end, maybe you can find a suitable match as I did 14 years ago.

Good luck to all.

Enjoy!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 39

CATFISHED!?  

How to make sure one never enters the atmosphere of meeting new people and looking for a companion!!!!  BEWARE....a lot of deception out there!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Have you ever used a dating service?

Message 13 of 39

Thanks for sharing your info and insight...not sure this is something l need to do but it's good to hear that this dating site worked for you. I wish you and your partner continued WONDERFUL blessings!!!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 39

@VickiM68 

Thanks Vicki Well truthfully only @2Papa can verify but from all I've read from him he's a funny jokester meant in good way he has often made me crack up laughing 

As far as I understand he lives in Fla & has a woman in his life 

Enjoy your day all

Ginger  :  ) 

Smiley Happy Smile & the world Smiles with you Smiley Wink Pass one on....its free
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Retired Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 39

@gm5271 

Thanks for clarifying. When I read 2Papa's post, I figured it had to be a joke Smiley Happy

@l643201l 

No, AARP doesn't have a dating site. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 39

No. Does AARP have their own site of members involved with online dating?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 39
Please let us know when the Russian woman arrives. Until she does, I'd like to suggest that you not send her any more money, just to be cautious.
Sir Granny Tracy
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 39

@oldbat1 

Hey there 

I'm guessing your fairly new here & not aware of 2Papa

@2Papa he's a jokester so his post is his idea of joking... not any truth to it.... he's famous for silly posts on article comments 

Thanks for your concern and looking out for fellow community folks

Enjoy your day

Ginger :  ) 

Smiley Happy Smile & the world Smiles with you Smiley Wink Pass one on....its free
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 39
I'm sad that you had the trifecta of horrors!
Sir Granny Tracy
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 39

You just reminded me that in 1967, our high school had a comuter date night, and my parents actually allowed me to go. Prior to the evening, we all filled out a questionaire and were matched to 3 possibles. I think we were each given a number and also given the numbers of the three possible matches. However they accomplished it, I didn't have any luck with my matches, and they were just as excited by meeting me. LOL...

Thank you for your post: I laugh now when I remember how awkward the whole thing was, and how I lied to my parents telling them what fun it was. I didn't want them to be disappointed in what a social butterfly I was not at the time. 

Sir Granny Tracy
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

When responding to other users’ posts for dating or for other communication, please do not post your personal information (email, address, phone number) in the forum.