AARP members get more! Take a look at your member benefits.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Have you ever used a dating service?

Message 21 of 39

Please let us know if your lady in Russia shows up. I would be most surprised if she did. It sounds like you may have just been scammed. My advice is to NEVER send money to someone you don't know personally or have never met. Even then it is not a good idea.  If travel arrangemenhts are necessary, make the arrangements yourself. I wish you all the luck in the world and hope, for your sake, you have found your true love, however, I have heard of this before and it turned out to be a scam every time.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Have you ever done online dating?

Message 22 of 39

I am 75 years old. I used Match.com about 25 years ago and met a great guy who became my best male friend, and who is still my best male friend today. I went on AmericanSingles.com about 20 years ago and met my current husband. We have been together for almost 20 years now. I was very lucky both times. You have to be careful, of course, and use common sense when responding to profiles online. Some people can try and scam you out of money, or, in the case of one elderly gentleman who posted his profile, his hidden intent was to find a caregiver so he wouldn't have to go into a home. If you answer an ad, always agree to meet in a very public place and never give out your home address when you first meet, until you have come to trust the person. Also, nobody (well, almost nobody) posts their most current picture online, so don't be surprised if the person you meet in person looks much older than their picture. And, finally, do not judge a book by its cover. No one is perfect. 

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 39

If it wasn't for a dating site called " Our Time ", I would not have reconnected with a lady I had met and knew from twenty plus years ago at my work for wayward juveniles. As I helped her get into the instutition and being a nice person, I saw she was out of place in this environment. She even met my girlfriend at the time. 

Well her daughter went back home finally after 6 months and never saw her again. Then low and behold, just out of the blue I had just signed up for " Our Time " on 4/30/2014. Not even an hour into the web site, I get a tag message from this person, we exchanged phone numbers and started talking. After we talked, I called " Our Time " and canceled my subscription to them. 

Guess what, get got together, and haven't looked back since. We moved from Californication to North Carolina, and bought a new home together, even though we both had home back in Cali. And we didn't even want to get married, and are living happily ever after. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 39

After my divorce at 58 I used "Plenty of Fish" and met lots of nice people. After 6 months I met a wonderful widower and we have been happily together for 10 years. We married on 12/12/12. 

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 39

People have no idea about dating. You have to communicate openly and honestly. Setting up the paramaters so two people can talk takes some risk as sometimes it will not work out.  But being timid or judgemental is a waste of everyone's time. Pictures and phone numbers are always required so two people can talk, Awardness and confusion are natural.  Fear and worrying are dumb.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 39

Years ago Baltimore Magazine had a section for personal ads, so I decided to try it.  First week's package of letters came and nothing stirred me.  Second week's package came and nothing again. But the third week's package had this one well written letter. I went back to the envelope to see where the return address was from, and it was the Jessup Penitentiary.  There I was, reading a letter from the slammer... where I eat oatmeal!! (Smiling yet?) Now I still get on "senior match and our time", but mostly window shop. (wink). Anna, Columbia MD

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 39

I used a dating service to find my true love, who is in Russia.  I have sent her the money to travel here and anxiously await her arrival!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 39

Yes, Silver Singles, Match.com and Seniors+. Overall I will rate a 2 out of 5 based on the fact that many people do not post a photo, and/or so little on their profile.  A BIG issue I had when communicating with a woman, some would stop communication without the decency to at a minimum give closure 'I am not interested, our profiles are not compatible', I think this issue is 'rude'.

Now on the good side, I have conversed with some wonderful women and for one reason or another we didn't work out.  Another 'huge' plus, I am taking a week long trip to meet a woman whom we share a strong interest in each other.

My advice, be 100% honest, full communication is a must, you must have an adult mentality (if two people click great, and sometimes they don't).  If your after the wrong attributes in another, your going to be disappointed.

Have fun....

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 39

Yes and truly enjoyed the experience! Started using Match.com and Plenty of Fish in February 2014. Met about a dozen men. Dated three of them for 6 months or so (at different times, not concurrently), then met and fell in love with the man I plan to spend my silver, golden and platinum years with in December 2016. We were both 60 at the time, busy working, going to the gym, going out with friends, but not meeting any interesting prospects. I would truly recommend both of the above sites as a way to connect with other singles. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 39

Yes and it was very successful. I was a 75 year young widower and I met an 80 year young widow. We hit it off on our first date and were married 9 months later. That was 4 1/2 years ago. Our love is beautiful and our marriage is strong.

Kudos
Views