WATCH VIDEO: Friday's Iowa presidential candidate forum. Appearing are Beto O'Rourke, Elizabeth Warren, Marianne Williamson and Andrew Yang.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Does Age Really Matter?

Message 181 of 231

Russ62, I really enjoyed your take on "intimacy through the ages!"  Quite realistic but buoyed with a humorous twist!  Thanks for the giggles!  Smiley Wink  ~  Mimi

“The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
War With Honour, 1940 ~ A.A. Milne
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 182 of 231

What does "Matter" mean? Physically, intellectually, emotionally?

If 2 people are representative of their own generations, how can 20+ years not matter, when you're a full generation apart in all of your life experiences?

Physically, age may not matter, as long as you're both in relatively good health. But when the older member of a couple begins to "fall apart", it may place a huge strain on the younger person, who sees the rest of their life as a caregiver.

A tidy nest egg sometimes makes up for other shortcomings; that's why so many young women are willing to be with a rich man old enough to be their father or grandfahter. But those aren't really relationships between equals.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Kudos
Views

Message 183 of 231

Secrets to a Long Life of Great Sex

Iris Krasnow has made a career out of getting women to reveal their most private details about their relationships. In her latest book, Sex After..., this best-selling author and communications professor, offers a roadmap for navigating obstacles that affect the most intimate of human relationships - sex.

Listen Now

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 184 of 231
In Response to Re: Does Age Really Matter?:
In response to "Does Age Really Matter?": Age doesn't matter, compatibility does. The problem for older single women like me is that men my age don't want us. They want younger. Believe me 65 is hard to start over!
Posted by cindylo

I had to start over at 49.  It's been 2 years (almost 3) and I'm still alone with not even the possibility of a good friendship, much less an actual romance.  Men my age want the young 20+ year olds and the men attracted to me are ALL under 40 who then change their minds when they realize I'm 51.  It makes for some lonely times.  I'm sure the other single people here can agree when I say the worst of those times are the ones where you'd give just about anything for someone to simply hold you after a rough day
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 185 of 231
Find someone with whom you are compatible and age does not matter.  We are 22 years apart and we get along like 2 peas in a pod.  

In Response to Does Age Really Matter?:
What do you think about dating someone 20 or more years different than you? 68-year-old Michael Douglas and 43-year-old Catherine Zeta-Jones, have survived a long partnership through some rough times.  Recently, 65-year-old Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood, married a 34-year-old theater producer Sally Humphreys his (third) bride in December 2012. Should you date your own age or find someone you are compatible with no matter what their age?
Posted by AARPTeri

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 186 of 231
Only in America where age Matter.... 
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 187 of 231
age doesn't matter. as long as you loed each other then it's fine. although others think that it is weird to date with someone who is 30+ older than you. 
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 188 of 231
I think that there was a book written a few years back that dealt with certain eras of ones life and how things were different in each one. I just turned 65 and I can remember most of the different phases of my life. Teen years of awkwardness and over active hormones,  the 20 somethings where the hormones were still pretty high strung, but career kind of took a front burner to those things. Many of us were married and starting families, that also occupied a lot of time and we all just assumed that we were studly like the early years through-out the 20's, 30's  and 40's. That was also the time when many of us were reaching the pinnacle of power in business or politics or what have you.

That also gave us temptations that were more difficult to resist. Some were able to resist, some where not. Our marriages had become stale, we took each other for granted (this wasn't a one way street) and when we strayed we justified it as being needy and wanting that sense of adventure that we once felt.  That brought us to the ages that started with the big 5. We still felt pretty young but our choices were becoming rather limited. We, as men, would see a fine looking lady only to come to the realization that they were about the same age as our children and the smile that they sent our way was either a smile of generational respect or hiding laughter.

Then we hit the 60's and found that our bodies had far outaged our minds. We still thought like we were 18 but, the body was having none of that. All the old people body problems had arrived, sagging flesh, painful joints, hearing loss, less energy, diminished sex drive (which was a good thing because it was getting to the point where were weren't even as good once as we once were). That was also the ages when we started to lose people, a spouse or a friend, and found ourselves alone and OLD. We still, because our minds are useless, felt that we weren't even going to give that lady that was our age a chance because we still only found younger women exciting (as do Women find men, I'm sure). We were many years past the time that our bodies could be relied on to generate that physical attraction that was so familiar to us in years past. We couldn't draw a moth to a bonfire. And I think that to some extent women have that same feeling. Sadly, it is that way until most of us reach that point where we can easily admit that we were no longer the George Clooney's of our generation that we could look for more of a companionship situation then a hot passionate one. But that notion is not one that quits real easily.   So here we are a bunch of people that are in the same basic age bracket that see ourselves as younger and that works both sides of the genders. Maybe that's why we die. It's too hard to come to terms with.Laughing
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 189 of 231

In my opinion, what matters more than the physical age difference is the mental and cultural age difference.

For example, a man may be in excellent physical shape for his age and thus able to "keep up" with an active lifestyle of a younger female 20-25 years his junior .......... BUT ........... what do they really have in common.

I am in my early 50s now, but I must confess when talking with people in their late 20s or 30s, I realize how differently we view the world and have different ideas regarding work ethics, politics, integrity, morals, etc...

I am sure there may be some younger people out there I could relate too, but in the big picture I think the age difference issue is more an issue of how much the 2 people can have in common outside of a physical relationship.

Michael Spitzer
www.highpointproducts.com

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 190 of 231
It does matter if always have sex but if seldom, companionship is the best.  It depends on a partner who can turn me on.
Kudos
Views