WATCH VIDEO: Friday's Iowa presidential candidate forum. Appearing are Beto O'Rourke, Elizabeth Warren, Marianne Williamson and Andrew Yang.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Dating when you are 70

Message 11 of 53
I like to travel too -I'm female, 75 in good health. I live in Los Angeles. Where do you live????
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 53

Don't  be worried! Congratulations and welcome to corner of the world. I think it's just harder for women than men.  I'm sure you'll be just fine. That's a fantastic golf course, by the way.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 53

Yikes! I just bought a home in The Villages and moving on December 23rd. You now have me worried.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 53
Tom, I gave this a lot of thought last night. My husband died 4 years ago today. I miss laughing so much. I miss talking about anything and everything. Yes, it's sad to get to be almost 70 and find it vanished in an instant. I just don't even bother anymore. Yesterday, at the grocery store, a nice guy starting talking to me and then asked if I'd like to get a cup of coffee. He seemed nice so I agreed. In the course of our conversation, he told me he wanted to "jump my bones" and then told me he was unhappily married. I stood up, told him I was sorry for his wife and that he was despicable and I was not desperate. He told me all women without men were desperate and that I was just kidding myself.

I'm through with looking and prefer to being alone than being used. Thanks for the response and for letting me know I'm not crazy. Las Vegas is the worst place ever to find a friend. Best of luck to you as well. Janice
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 53

I wish I knew......most online stuff is simply garbage with people telling lies everywhere.  I have not replied to anyone in a long time.  Really and truly threw in the towel, but sad to not be able to share my life.  I loved sharing things, talking, spending time together;  this alone in your 70s when you are still ALIVE is terrible.  Good luck finding an honest nice guy...be careful to throw out the garbage!

Tom

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 53

Eleanor, good luck to you on your quest. If you find a way to meet that person, please share it with us. You would thing that living in Las Vegas, I would be able to find some companionship. No, it's even harder here for some reason. Best of luck to you. And, I just have to tell you I'm envious of your Alaska adventures. I never got to experience that state. Good for you.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 53

Tom, I am in the same strange situation. I really didn't see it coming when I was suddenly a widow. I have never lived alone before in my entire adult life. I had 4 children in 5 years and even after a divorce, I still had my children to raise. When they were grown and just before they were all gone, I remarried. My childrend also scattered across the U.S. and now that I am alone, I am a bit lost.  I have traveled to so many wonderful countries and states and have seen and witnessed the most fabulous things. Adventures and trying new things seemed like a life that most would not have the opportunity to explore. It came to an abrupt end.

I tried online meeting with all the various sites out there, but I quickly realized something.  All those sites attracted the same people, there were scam artists just waiting to get your email address and phone number to start pleading for money while professing love and worst of all, their number one quest was to find sex.  In my naive wanting to believe in the best of people, I actually dated 3 men. The first turned out to be a hateful person who told me of his hatred towards his parents, religion of all kinds, people of all colors, and Italian food (my favorite)! The second man, when finding out I was recently widowed over lunch told me that was great because then I was still sexually active. The third guy kept begging me to send him naked pictures after lunch because he wanted to see if I had any weird scars or stretch marks before going further. I told them each that I was looking for a FRIEND first. Someone with a good sense of humor, who liked adventures, who wanted to travel, have meals together, and become good friends.

Then there is the problem of befriending women. I've moved many times to different states and between working and child rearing, I never got to form long lasting friendships. The married ones are afraid of losing their husbands to me, even though I tell them I find dating a married man to be despicable because my ex husband was a serial cheater. The ones who are divorced consider me to be a rival, and the widowed ones just want to sit and cry over what can't be again.  And then there are the ones my age who want to only be with women who live to garden, sew, knit, cook and go to senior fitness centers that cater to women only.  I am going to be 70 in a few months and I feel younger than ever. I am very active and have been remodeling my home mostly by myself. That has filled the void a little for me, but I miss laughing and talking and enjoying life with someone else. Sharing life is what I miss most of all. This may seem like a small thing to some, but I dream about someone holding my hand or giving me a hug. 

I have no idea why this is so hard. I don't have a clue about how to find a friend like that.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 53

Hi - I too would like the companionship to share laughs, dinners, movies and even quiet times.  Retired but volunteering keeps me busy.  I enjoy travel by any means:  car, train, plane & cruises.  Road trips can be so enlightening to our beautiful country.  Went outside my comfort zone and worked seasonal in Alaska.  Meet great new friends from all over the world.  And experienced the wonders of the 'Last frontier'.  So how do active seniors meet new active seniors.... Thanks for reading.. E

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 53

Hi,

I too tried online over the past few years, and now this.  I wish writing this did not seem like an interview.  I honestly believe you can tell a lot about a person over a cup of coffee, but these days that seems impossible to get done.  I have led a very interesting life, but really do not enjoy my alone time these days as much as I should.  I have continued working as a clinical pharmacist with Hospice more because of staying active, being with friends, having some laughs, and keeping the grey matter above my neck moving along.  I enjoy playing golf, the outdoors, dinners with friends, a good laugh,

travelling, and above all; my children who are all over the country these days.  I would like to share some laughs, some movies, some trips, some anything with a nice person who cares enough about me, and who can make our twosome far better than my onesome. 

Tom DAnnunzio  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 53

I live in the St. Petersburg, Florida area. I am a semi-retired nurse. I haven't a clue where to go to meet a nice single man in my age range or area. It is so difficult. I would love to meet someone who would be interested in going to dinner and a movie. I tried an online service about 10 years ago and all the men were interested in was hooking up for sex! At least try to find out how I take my coffee and what my favorite color is before you start pushing for that! This is my first venture since then. I am hoping this will be positive.

Susan P. Weston
Kudos
Views