Refresh your driving skills and you could save on your auto insurance! Sign up for the AARP Smart Driver course.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Dating when you are 70

Message 1 of 49
Sorry about your husband, but you sound like you're doing alright. Your post gave me a chuckle.
Sir Granny Tracy
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 49

@BruceT48072 

My brother swears can pickup person in Food Lion Grocery store.  He's met & dated a few workers there. 

I do strike up conversations with folks in stores just my nature also working Retail most of my life just can chat with anyone Don't know strangers

I have a girlfriend who goes to Harbor Freight Stores checking out the eye candy as she calls it. 

Reckon anything is possible as long as we're open to it. 

Take care 

Ginger  : ) 

Smiley Happy Smile & the world Smiles with you Smiley Wink Pass one on....its free
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 49

Sorry if I am offending you. I do not know your exact basis for what you stereotype people.

Sex is not the issue.If you only see predators it is impossible for you to begin a relationship at the beginning. Everything will make you unnecessarily pessimistic. It is impossible to have a sexual relationship unless there is intimacy, trust, caring and communication.  Most people are warmed by touch, holding hands, a kiss or just being close.  Do not destroy the opportunity to deal with  sensitivity and basic kindness.  You have to be able to talk to men about them wanting to have sex with you and what it means. Of course, what it means to you.  

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 49

There are women waiting for you to talk to them. Most will be terrified and scared.  Practice humor and kindness. You can start at any grocery store.  Yes you will get rejected and strange looks. But you will get experience and learn there are women wanting a relationship.  You will have to initiate the first contact,  When they respond you will expect more.  But you will learn to walk away if the conversation is not reciprical. Keep talking and someday when you least expect it, you will be talking with someone and they will keep talking to you. How else can we ever find intimacy if the women who are the kindnest never have the opportunity to display what makes them special?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 49

I hope you aren't implying I passed on inaccurate information. It's 100% true that it's very diffiult in this town for women over 60 to find a great male friend. There are plenty men here that are very interested, but their goal is to see how fast they can worm their way into your pants. As a matter of fact, it's almost always something they try for as soon as you meet. A lot of them even actually ask how long it's been since you've had sex.

There is a huge difference between being a widow than being a divorcee. Losing someone through a divorce, which includes anger and resentment, is not the same as losing someone through death. Widows aren't happy to be rid of their husbands that way. There are exceptions, but my experience here has been that these men think you are so starved for sex that you will jump into their beds as soon as possible, and that you should be grateful. They just move on to the next woman hoping that it works on them. It's just a fact and is accurate.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 49

Janken,

I was kidding about being worried. I researched everything carefully and visited 4 times in the  past year. I bought very close to one of the squares and i'm confident in my decision. I will snowbird for the first few years and see what happens after.

I drives me crazy that people pass along inaccurate information without looking for a truthful source.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 49
I like to travel too -I'm female, 75 in good health. I live in Los Angeles. Where do you live????
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 49

Don't  be worried! Congratulations and welcome to corner of the world. I think it's just harder for women than men.  I'm sure you'll be just fine. That's a fantastic golf course, by the way.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 49

Yikes! I just bought a home in The Villages and moving on December 23rd. You now have me worried.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 49
Tom, I gave this a lot of thought last night. My husband died 4 years ago today. I miss laughing so much. I miss talking about anything and everything. Yes, it's sad to get to be almost 70 and find it vanished in an instant. I just don't even bother anymore. Yesterday, at the grocery store, a nice guy starting talking to me and then asked if I'd like to get a cup of coffee. He seemed nice so I agreed. In the course of our conversation, he told me he wanted to "jump my bones" and then told me he was unhappily married. I stood up, told him I was sorry for his wife and that he was despicable and I was not desperate. He told me all women without men were desperate and that I was just kidding myself.

I'm through with looking and prefer to being alone than being used. Thanks for the response and for letting me know I'm not crazy. Las Vegas is the worst place ever to find a friend. Best of luck to you as well. Janice
Kudos
Views