Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Are you in a long-distance relationship?

Retired Community Manager

Are you in a long-distance relationship?

Are you dating someone who lives far from you? If so, how do you make it work? What are your tips for long-distance dating?

Silver Conversationalist

I just cant imagine the on-line thing. In person is difficult enough.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I tried it once for about 6 months, started good right up until she began asking for money to pay her bills. First it was the electric bill then her phone then her 28 yr old unemployed son crashed her car. That's when I decided it was time to say goodbye and change my phone number. Haven't tried that again but it's not to say that there aren't any true honest people out there who are willing to make a go at a long distance relationship until they can be together.

Yes I'm but I having trouble giving her money for her she lives in Dallas Texas and she needs $200 to come down here so she can be with me

Regular Contributor

Have you considered purchasing this woman an airline ticket to come visit you? Perhaps then, she will not need the $200.00 to come visit you.

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert

@JohnS685802 Please be very careful you are not being scammed! Many people connect online and ask for money to come and visit or be with a person, and then they pocket the money and disappear as they are not really who they say they are.  Here's info on Romance Scams https://www.aarp.org/money/scams-fraud/info-2019/romance.html

Take care,

Amy

AARP Expert

@VickiM68  13 years long-distance with my boyfriend! Quality time is SO important since we don't get quantity time!!! 

Social Butterfly

My girl lives over the boarder in Canada.  We met via internet.  It is rather inconvenient seeing her as I have to cross the border and go thru customs and take the chance of being searched, which has happened occasionally.  I try to see her monthly and she always makes the trip worthwhile!

Periodic Contributor

Yes, for at least the past 16 years.  He lives in another country about an 8 hour trip away, including ferries and driving.  We email each other daily, travel together, and get together every month or two.  We are quite different people, but share some of the same interests, and more importantly the same political outlook.  Those differences help us learn and be challenged in good ways.  We each have our own homes where we're quite content and self-sufficient, and are happy living alone, but it's nice to have someone to dine with, travel with and especially dance with.

Regular Contributor

I am so envious. This is exactly the type of opposite sex relationship I’d like to have. I lost my 30 year mate to a bicycle hit and run 1.5 years ago, and with him went our retirement and travel plans. 💔😰. May I ask how you met?

Regular Contributor

How awful for you and your mate! I lost my wonderful husband three years ago to an aneurysm, wish I could find something like this too!

Regular Contributor

Contributor

Yes, we speak every day to stay connected and have been coming and going to each other for 13 years now and enjoyed many vacations together. We see each other about once every 6 weeks. It is important for that persons well-being to know someone is there for them who can give love and comfort on a regular basis.

The only problem I have encountered is from family when my partner became ill. They took over organizing things, which of course they should do, but they would not allow me to come and look after him. They insisted on getting (& paying for) a private carer whom he did not know or feel comfortable with. This was a shame. However, as much as they would like to stop me from coming to see him, this did not work and I will continue my trips for as long as financially possible.

Contributor

No

Contributor

Yes, 

Yes I am in a long distance relationship

Never,  never,  never stop communicating and always be 100% Ginuwine .

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP