AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: Are you in a long-distance relationship?

Message 1 of 13

@VoyagerVicki  13 years long-distance with my boyfriend! Quality time is SO important since we don't get quantity time!!! 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 13

How awful for you and your mate! I lost my wonderful husband three years ago to an aneurysm, wish I could find something like this too!

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 13

My girl lives over the boarder in Canada.  We met via internet.  It is rather inconvenient seeing her as I have to cross the border and go thru customs and take the chance of being searched, which has happened occasionally.  I try to see her monthly and she always makes the trip worthwhile!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 13

I am so envious. This is exactly the type of opposite sex relationship I’d like to have. I lost my 30 year mate to a bicycle hit and run 1.5 years ago, and with him went our retirement and travel plans. 💔😰. May I ask how you met?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 13

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 13

Yes, for at least the past 16 years.  He lives in another country about an 8 hour trip away, including ferries and driving.  We email each other daily, travel together, and get together every month or two.  We are quite different people, but share some of the same interests, and more importantly the same political outlook.  Those differences help us learn and be challenged in good ways.  We each have our own homes where we're quite content and self-sufficient, and are happy living alone, but it's nice to have someone to dine with, travel with and especially dance with.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 13

Yes, we speak every day to stay connected and have been coming and going to each other for 13 years now and enjoyed many vacations together. We see each other about once every 6 weeks. It is important for that persons well-being to know someone is there for them who can give love and comfort on a regular basis.

The only problem I have encountered is from family when my partner became ill. They took over organizing things, which of course they should do, but they would not allow me to come and look after him. They insisted on getting (& paying for) a private carer whom he did not know or feel comfortable with. This was a shame. However, as much as they would like to stop me from coming to see him, this did not work and I will continue my trips for as long as financially possible.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 13

Yes! We are 1000 miles apart and know it will not be forever. Communication is the key and we do that so well. We send texts throughout the day. we have a quick call in the morning and a long one everynight. we send cards and surprises in the mail We see each once a month and I leave little notes behind in his suitcase and things he brings. We are going to try Friday night date night doing facetime and making dinner and watching the same movie. We both like music and when we hear that song if we can we call each other. We try and stay connected and so far it is working. I am in the process of getting ready to move to his town after the first of the year so this too will pass for me.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 13

No

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 13

Yes, 

Kudos
Views