Take 25 percent off the cost of the award-winning AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code ‘BHM’ for savings.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Almost 55 and haven't found my groove in over a decade!

Message 1 of 5
Well CC your Life was certainly not boring. Do the best you can each and every day and believe in yourself. Keep your chin up and have a positive attitude in life and you will meet someone who will make you happy and settled and except you just as you are . Good luck
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

@cc9258808 wrote:

If there are people out there that can empathize with me in any way, please know that I am totally open to constructive criticism and suggestions.                 

Sounds like another hunk of spam.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

cc,  can't help you much with your lovelife problems.   But I can help you better navigate these message boards. 

For some inexplicable reason (inexplicable because one AARP moderator here did take note of my complaint,  but never gave me any reasons) if you are using I.E. as your browser you lose all lformatting to your posts.   While you are hitting the "enter" key & thinking every time you ended a paragraph and started another,  Oooops,   the AARP platform here thinks otherwise,  and ignores you.    

What you end up with is what we see here with your first post  -  A solid,  unbroken huge block of text that is next to impossible to read comfortably.   Strains the eye.   Ughh.    

I can't explain to you why this is,   only that it is a recent development (within the past 2 or 3 months) as I.E. used to work fine here,  no problems.   

I have tried everything to attempt to override this most unwelcome feature.  I say unwelcome as,  if yoiu have come here through I.E. and then see an interesting thread you would like to reply to,  it is necessary to exit out of I.E.,   open either Firefox or Chrome (if you are on a PC)  log-on,  then type your post.   Copy& paste function also doesn't work anymore when using I.E.  

Too goddamm much trouble for me.    Like many others,   I.E. is my preferred browser,  for reasons too numerous to go into.   

So,  please understand this is not criticism of your post,  no.  (Actually it is criticism of AARP Admin.  for whatever tech changes were made to this site to cause this issue with I.E. After so many years of normalcy in function)   

Just a friendly heads-up to you  -   if you expect many people here to actuallly wade through so much unbroken,  blurry, small-size typeface  and give you cogent replies,  please think about re-entering through one of the other browsers where you can use the "edit" button to clean it up with paragraphing,  punctuation,  highlighting key points,  selecting larger and more prominent font,  etc.     

(Users here can enlarge the size of how text appears on their screens.  But that does not help any at all to break it up into smaller, more manageable paragraphs for ease of reading.)  

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

@cc9258808 wrote:

If there are people out there that can empathize with me in any way, please know that I am totally open to constructive criticism and suggestions.                 

If your story is true; my suggestion is to seek counseling. You are carrying a lot of baggage and a counselor may help you sort out those things so you can get your "groove" back.

If your story is not true, my suggestion is to see a publisher or someone in the media industry as you have the makings of quite a soap opera. Married at 18, Grandma at 35, two careers, bad daughter and good daughter, everyone a single parent, various sad and happy events.... it should be a hit.

Either way, good luck.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Almost 55 and haven't found my groove in over a decade!

Message 5 of 5

Well I suppose that for those of us that have had the privilege of having at least one one great love, my topic will sound baseless to some of you. Truth is that I got married at 18 to a guy that had been deeply in love with me throughout the last few yrs of high school. Ours was the greatest friendship ever. We could finish each others sentences and I became so comfortable with him, that I was floored when he finally told me how he felt about me, AFTER ALMOST 4 YRS!  The whole time I'd been treating him like my best GIRLFRIEND!  We didn't even talk about it we just got a civic marriage license  4 days later......yep, I'm impulsive and married in front a a few friends at the salon where I was working at. It was so surreal, cause we actually had a "SURPRISE WEDDING". The boss hired a photographer and my co-worker took care of refreshments and cake. The most impressive part to me though was that they somehow got a hold of our close friends and my reluctant parents. His mother was unfortunately out of town and his dad had passed since he was 10. Looking back on things, other very real reason behind the haste in getting married, was a terrible relationship with my parents. Being the eldest of two females who are also first generation American citizens, it has been traumatic to say the least. My parents are both very tunnel visioned and have refused to evolve so consequently there  are NO FAMILY dynamics in our 4 member clan. Sad, yes, that is why getting married was also so inviting. We were very happy and traveled the first couple of years. Then at 23 I opened up my own business, and never looked back.Things were great! So, why the change?? Yea.everybody including myself ask that. I think it was my realization that being in love was very different than just  loving. Even though we stayed close even after divorcing incredibly amicably 12 years later, we both remained single until recently. My ex finally re-married, and even though he laughs, he knows I'm right when I tell him he is SET FOR LIFE! You see he married the  housekeeper! She'd worked for him since right after our divorce that was 1994 !  After farting around with youngsters for years I'd tell him he needed to settle down and find a WOMAN! not a child. So, ........ I say to myself,  "Who can't  admire a woman who cared for him and my kids all the while being secretly  in love with him?" Anyhow, the 12 yr marriage  produced 2 girls. Both unique to say the least. Oldest is a free spirit that has been in trouble with the law since 14 yrs of age. Youngest  totally the opposite. She even paid her way through college and is now very successful. Both are single mothers of a little girl themselves and they live in the state but in distant cities.  The family has become very distant and has been for a little more than 10 yrs. So here I am, almost at the double nickel of my life. I've had an onset of sudden and very severe health problems. I guess I must be feeling mortal, cause up until the last couple of years I had always been able to make my own sunshine. I know for a fact that I will overcome this because resilience has always been my friend. I found out just how much one can withstand when I lost my first grandchild (who was also the first boy in more than 3 generations) to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, in 1999. Since it happened at my business and under my care I decided I could no longer work as a stylist and closed shop. After 6 months I got my legs back and retrained. I have been an insurance broker for more that 15 yrs now. So this is my life in a nutshell. I'm not only feeling mortal but also incredibly lonely. Under other circumstances I'd be out walking my dog or something. For the last few months mobility had become my main issue, so outings are not too feasible. I have now immersed myself in online continuing for my profession. I have also researched Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia intensely. That is what I have become afflicted with. I am making strides at besides nutrition, supplements, and other organic treatments, I have a wonderful rheumatologist. I have found a doctor who treat the person not the symptoms! So, once again if this post sounds like a lame issue to some,it just happens to be VERY REAL TO ME. If there are people out there that can empathize with me in any way, please know that I am totally open to constructive criticism and suggestions.                 

Kudos
Views
Replies