From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Advice for those looking to join an online dating site

Message 1 of 2

Thank you for the suggestions and input, Andrew.

I've tried various dating/matching sites for a number of years ( off and on).

It seems one of the biggest problems I have encountered is so many members  misrepresent themselves.

It's very difficult meeting older men with each passing year, whether trying the internet or in person  at events, church, etc.

Anne

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Advice for those looking to join an online dating site

Message 2 of 2

Advice for those looking to join an online dating site.

Before spending money on an online dating site, spend some time checking them out first. It will save you money and perhaps avoid identity theft as well. First check if the site is ligament. There are several sites that verify web dating sites: www.BBB.com, www.DatingBusters.com are just a few.

In recent years the purveyors of online dating sites have realized that members feel more successful and stay longer the more interest their online dating profile garners. In the beginning, sites tried to help steer members toward more interest by offering advice and profile writing services. However, many sites nowadays are fraudulent and use either employees or software to artificially increase the number of likes, favorites and canned replies a member gets. You may have heard of the term, BOTs? These are software programs that closely mimic human conversation patterns.

To read more: https://www.talkspace.com/blog/2016/01/how-to-tell-if-youre-talking-to-a-bot-the-complete-guide-to-c...

Luckily the technology is not yet so sophisticated that you cannot tell the difference. Oblique responses to your questions, misdirection or leading questions and bad English being some of the most obvious signs.

Try this experiment before paying to join any online dating site. Post no picture and enter no data or the least information allowed by the online dating form. Where fields are required, try typing in streams of letters that mean nothing. If the field demands real words, then give then give them something unintelligible. If you get an abundance of responses, then stay away.

As junk mail is a problem for email and to avoid getting those dating site emails after you have determined to stay away, I suggest setting up a ‘junk mail’ account with google (or other email service). Just select a name you can remember. I used my first, last name and then the word “junk” and separated the words with periods (ex. john.doe.junk@gmail.com). I use this email whenever I’m on a web site I don’t know I can trust. Remember that many web sites collect this information and sell it. Ever wondered why you suddenly get a maelstroms of junk mail when you sign up on some sites. That’s why.

Camano Island, WA

Andrew Marin
Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies