Confused about which vaccines you need? Check out this list of every shot you should get after 50.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP DATING SITE

Message 41 of 57

hello - im a newbie on AARP . i enjoyed reading your comments . i so agree about dating sites . it does seem most are in a hurry . just thought id add -- the last man i spoke with asked - why im still single . i said  " i know all the games .!! ".   i bet you passed him somewhere .! nobody likes a smart Woman .  be wise be safe and -- yes im still seeking .   YvetteDawn

' I am -- me ' .. an uncommonWoman
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 57

the reall answer to something like this, is a fundamental change in the way these contracts are laid out. most important improvment would to keep all finances seperate. each pays for what thye use, ..that takes away the incentive, for conartists, or even just lazy users, from having a hold on the other...the system the way it is is broken, and marrage is just a way for one to control another...perhaps marriage should be done away with, then if people are not getting along, they can just split.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 57

When I go into what is advertised as AARP Dating Site, I put in www.aarp.org/dating.  They advertise that it is a FREE Dating Site.  I saw other sites noted on AARP, but none of them are FREE, so it would seem there is false advertising by someone going on here.  That is why so many are calling it the AARP Dating Site.  It is being advertised that way with no disclaimers.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 57

There are hackers on every site.  Report them, report them, report them.  They are usually from Nigeria and let you know they are 'temporarily' out of the United States and, gosh, they suddenly run short of funds to return.

Or, they had to leave the country for a short time on a serious business venture - that eventually falls through and, lo and behold, they used all their money hoping to make the big score - so, lady, can you spare a dime or a few thousand dimes or dollars?

They hijack a real person's profile.  One way to see through them is that the one they hijack normally has quite good English.  They, however, do not.  When they answer you, they have broken sentences, no clue what some terms they use mean, tend to call you Sweetheart, Darling, Honey, because they really don't care about learning your name.  You are nothing more than the next target.

I have tried six different sites and all of them abound with these gangsters.  I report them ASAP, but they can be gone from the site within seconds and immediately hijack another profile.  So be alert at all times and give absolutely no personal information regarding your home, finances, number of children, etc., and NEVER send money.  It is a neverending downhill run if you do.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 57

There are a few articles on AARP.org that address this particular scam and more.  Here is one - How to Stay Safe While Dating article:  http://www.aarp.org/home-family/dating/info-01-2013/online-dating-safety-tips-solin.html.

Since it sounds like your incident may have occurred through How About We.  We ask that you send an email to theteam@howaboutwe.com , so that they can take appropriate action to block further use of the Services by any individuals who may have accessed them for improper purposes.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 57
bf289 wrote:

Hi.   I see you posted quite some time ago.  This is the first time on this site or anything to do with dating sites, although I've been a member for 20 years.  I've been single since the end of March.  Been married my entire life!  The lonliness is overwhelming. 

I don't know the circumstances for you being single again, but it's probably wise to ease back into the social scene via safe groups & with friends you already know. Probably the most dangerous time to start dating, especially via the online, is when a person is desperate because "the loneliness is overwhelming"! That often means people ignore the red flags they see, and leap to conclusions about what the smallest kindness might mean. Be Careful!!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 57

Yes, there are scammers everywher and seniors are certainly a target.  Good for you for playing it smart.

Remeber though, there are still some gems out there.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 57

Hi.   I see you posted quite some time ago.  This is the first time on this site or anything to do with dating sites, although I've been a member for 20 years.  I've been single since the end of March.  Been married my entire life!  The lonliness is overwhelming.  I've tried eharmony, Match2.com, and christianmingle.com.  I was on christianmingle.com when a person such as you described.  He was slow going, talked a lot, was an expert typist, and told me everything I ever wanted to hear.  After about 30 days of daily messaging, some phone calling (he was French and had that French accent so was difficult to understand over the phone).  Anyway, he finally got around to explaining how this job he was on required an additional expenditure and he really needed to finish it so he could then leave and come see me.  HA!  He asked for $4500.  My goodness.....lol.   I began putting 2 and 2 together, I saved all our communications and saw where the discrepancies in what he told me over the weeks didn't add up.  I wouldn't have sent money anyway, cause I'm a bit smarter than that (like you).  I wrote a dear John letter to him then blocked him from my site and my phone.  Wow.   These kinds of men are everywhere.

The dating sites can only go by what people tell them on their application.  It is us who have to be careful.  Even on this site.  What makes me really angry is even though my profile says I want to meet people within 50 miles of my zip code, they forward on people from around the country and world!  Geez!  A person over 50 wants to have a conversation with a local man, someone they can meet for coffee or dinner,  date perhaps, etc.  How on earth can someone have a long distance relationship such as around the country/world.   Makes me very angry.  I will get an email about how someone is interested me and I excitedly go see only to find it's a 28 year old in Nigeria or somewhere. 

Anyway, this is long, but I wanted to wish you well....I hope you find what you're looking for, and it's hard.  May God bless you and yours......Bonnie

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP DATING SITE - "not really AARP" dating site

Message 49 of 57

Well said,  Yanch22  ! 

You are absolutely correct.   Unfortunately,  it will roll right off and fail to sink in to many here.    

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP DATING SITE - "not really AARP" dating site

Message 50 of 57

You're slicing and dicing.  Google "AARP Dating site" - it takes you to AARP.  Receive a message from someone on the date site - it's titled "AARP Dating" in your inbox - you log in to AARP.  Join and you get billed by "AARP."  News articles by NPR, NY Times - "AARP Dating site."  I don't care who is 'pushing the buttons' or 'flipping the switches' behind the scenes - AARP does the advertising, takes the monthly fees, and has their brand/logo associated with each and every item related to this dating site.  AARP should be responsive and monitoring who they link their name and millions of members to...no different than me monitoring who my son is 'dating' -  no pun intended.

I would not hesitate to say that thousands of AARP members who are not computer savvy and do not understand the 'back door' relationship also assume all is controlled by AARP - which it is.  AARP signed the contract, agreed to the terms, and money exchanges hands; seems like they need to re-visit the relationship due to the relationship issues arising....

Kudos
Views