Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP DATING SITE

Message 31 of 95

@Midgekin - Periodically, AARP does an article on a subject, and includes links to discussions in Online Community. I doubt they bother checking how old the most recent posting was, so suddenly there's a flurry of new activity when a discussion's been over for a long time.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 95

@ASTRAEA  - Thanks those were some great responses to @Midgekin.

AARP did test a dating partnership a few years ago and it just wasn't a great fit.  There are dating sites that are businesses solely for that purpose and AARP's mission is not to become that.  We are here to help members connect with one another on like subject matters and we can tell you that many have made lifelong friends here online.  We hope that you are also interested in finding others to discuss a wide array of topics and that you will find friends that are interested in discussing similar subject matter.

Let us know if we can help you or have additional questions.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 95

Honestly, my interest in any of the dating websites is almost non-existent at this point.  It's hard enough to trust people you meet in person let alone those hiding behind an online "persona".  I posted the original query quite some time ago and am quite surprised to all of a sudden have a flurry of responses.  As for me, I'm not interested in going down the online path at this time.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 95

@Midgekin - I don't work for AARP, but I will say that they "helped" one of the singles groups in Online Community, by assigning two "dating experts" to it. All I'll say is based on their "help", I wouldn't want to participate in a dating website AARP managed.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 95

Thanks for the education on why AARP does not have a dating website.  The information certainly explains the reasoning behind why there isn't a dating website associated with AARP.  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 95

@Midgekin@SizlinTeapot620 - I think that AARP tried to do something of a dating website way back. But the reality is that people here/AARP members expected it to be free, whereas other better quality dating websites charge for their services. AARP members expected participants to be "checked out", so it would be safe .. but it's a very expensive proposition to do any level of background checks, and would be very risky if AARP implied that they did "check people out", but that wasn't as thorough as people expected. So bottom line is that while there are several singles discussion groups here, to my knowledge there's no "Dating Website" as such.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 95

The reason for my initial post was that I was asking "why AARP doesn't have a dating site".  No one seemed to know.  To my knowledge you still need to go outside of AARP's site to one of the many websites that offer dating apps.  Good luck and be careful!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 95

I am totally new here. Is this a dating site on this forum here?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 95

Your meeting me now

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 95

@r447879w - I believe they did partner with another company to have a dating website for a while. But there's a lot of competition, and most sites now charge a fee. How much would AARP members be willing to pay, for the sort of screening they probably want? Then come all the complex questions about who would be allowed to use the AARP dating website (age-wise), which would either be a problem for all the AARP-eligible people who want to meet someone a lot younger than themselves, or the AARP-eligible people who don't want to be propositioned by people much younger!

Kudos
Views