Can blue light from your phone cause vision problems? Find out and learn more about your vision in the AARP Eye Center.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP DATING SITE

Message 21 of 95

AARP should have a dating site. But it should use different strategies.  Activities, communication  and meeting are important components for dating. Probably AARP needs to sponsor singles weekends where people can do a variety of activities guranteed to run into a diversity of people. Somewhere along the line, AARP needs to help people deal with safety and honesty.  The challenge is helping people know that fun and togetherness comes first.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 95

So well said. Because most of us have had close rewarding relationships, it is depressing to engage in superficial judgemental bable with another person who wants intimacy too. 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 95

LMAO!!!  Well said BruceT.  You just described most of the first dates I had from the different dating sites I've tried in the past three years since I've been single again (after a decades long marriage).  Unfortunately, only a very small percentage of those dates ever led to a second date. 

Most of the best dates I've had in the past three years were with people I already knew, either through a mutal friend, the professional industry I work in, a community event or through one of my MeetUp groups (I belong to several).  This is why I no longer have any profiles on any dating websites.  It's also why dating websites are a really poor dating resource.

By the time one reaches this point in their life (50's & 60's), the whole insta-chemisty notion is just ridiculous.  Most of us have years of experience with satisfying and fullfilling, long-term relationships to know that it doesn't happen instantly.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 95

The biggest problem with senior dating is not related to dating sites.  Most people require time and interaction together before they are ready to "date".  Instant connections do not work. There is always a lack of trust.  Conversations begin with the superficial where micro responses are always subject to misinterpretation or comparison to negative memories.  Looks, perceived wealth and limited time together doom most seniors at the beginning.  Fear, lack of passion and unrealistic expectations gurantee most first meetings are last meetings.

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 95

@AARPTeri wrote:

@ASTRAEA  - Thanks those were some great responses to @Midgekin.

AARP did test a dating partnership a few years ago and it just wasn't a great fit.  There are dating sites that are businesses solely for that purpose and AARP's mission is not to become that.  We are here to help members connect with one another on like subject matters and we can tell you that many have made lifelong friends here online.  We hope that you are also interested in finding others to discuss a wide array of topics and that you will find friends that are interested in discussing similar subject matter.

Let us know if we can help you or have additional questions.

@e190163m 

I've attached a response from Teri that is below (about 10 down) in this thread 

AARP tested a dating site some years ago 

Good luck,

Ginger  : ) 

Smiley Happy Smile & the world Smiles with you Smiley Wink Pass one on....its free
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 95

I also would be attracted to an AARP dating site for the reasons AARP has always been a sign of honesty, integrity, always on the look out to help Seniors.

Why not, AARP?  You could put the money toward more programs to help Seniors. A lot of us didn't expect out later years to be so challenging financially, nor did we expect to be alone. Easy to live frugally when you have someone to share the good times and difficult times. Personally, I am really tired of not having a mate to love and share our lives. 

I can't just sit around waiting for him! I have a lot to do and would have more fun doing it together!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 95

Thanks for the info, I was just looking today because I thought idnseen it advertised somewhere. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 95

No such thing as an official AARP dating site? Well, that explains a lot. I've seen it supposedly listed on Bing & Google, but no doubt by less than honest people just wanting to get clicks and therefore commissions, but couldn't find anything on AARP<dot>COM that resembled a dating site.

So I put a little info about myself in a post here, and hope someone finds it who could become a good friend. Here's hoping!!

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 95

@CavelliC456022  AARP does not have a dating site at this time.  We have a great variety of forums to talk to others about a myriad of topics that we hope you will join in.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 95

Please how do I register on your dating site as I cannot find where I can register to meet my better half

Kudos
Views