WATCH VIDEO: Friday's Iowa presidential candidate forum. Appearing are Beto O'Rourke, Elizabeth Warren, Marianne Williamson and Andrew Yang.

Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP DATING SITE

Message 11 of 109

@2beingme 

Hi Donne Thanks 

Indeed as song Says "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger"

Me & my mom & friend Tulia always said getting older isn't for sissies 

We become stronger from living and going through our experiences which gives me better insight to what desire for my life to no longer settle. 

Happy is a choice 

Thanks for sharing 

Ginger : ) 

Smiley Happy Smile & the world Smiles with you Smiley Wink Pass one on....its free
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 109

You're welcome Ginger.  Being a single senior citizen is not easy and definitely not for wussies but I believe that we're a tough breed though.  While becoming single again, at this point in my life, was devastating, it most certainly wasn't the worst thing that could have ever happened to me.  I don't say that to trivilize or disrespect anyone else's devastation of becoming single and alone at this age, I just want to express that we can survive and we can move on to still live fulfilling lives.  It's just that our lives will be different; we develop a new normal, of sorts.

Anyway, I wish you well and I hope you find what you're looking for, whatever that may be.  Have a wonderful weekend.

DonneSmiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 109

@Kaye6262 

Hey Kaye I have not met anyone here face to face but have made some friend connections here just from having topics in common 

Also there is group on here under Topic "Random Thoughts" called Front porch thread which has folks who live all over but check in everyday about Weather and such

So just a bonding found through having & sharing our common experiences 

Good luck 

Ginger  : ) 

Smiley Happy Smile & the world Smiles with you Smiley Wink Pass one on....its free
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 109

@2beingme 

Hey thanks so much for sharing your story 

Your an inspiration to me & others

My marriage ended just over 5 years ago the 1st couple years were tough was living on my own for 1st time in my life at 56 years of age & lost my Mom & a best  friend of 25+years almost 4 years ago It all was a big whammy on my life. I too was devastated and knew my life would never be same hadn't dated since 1995 & dating doesn't seem to be same these days. 

I have  moved twice.  I couldn't or didn't want to stay in home we'd built 4 years before but was hard losing my 15 acres had with my 2 boys b4 met him 

I also never want to marry again.... been there done that 

Since can't work even being an outgoing person who enjoys being around others and usually made friends found husbands while working its tough finding connections 

Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions & giving me hope things will better just gotta put one foot in front of other & seek out others 

I don't have a bad life plus also realize things happened for reason & I have been blessed alot & keep trying to accept change can be a friend not the end of the world which I felt when all the dominoes in my life were falling apart 

Thanks & hopeful,

Ginger  : ) 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 109

Great.  I would come to San Antionio for a singles event if I know what kind; will there be danceing, 50-70's?  Will there be disco?  Will there be a diverse population?  Sure, i will come.  I come from the dance clubs in the twin cities that were all closed in the late 80's early 90's and the prom centers and ballrooms-the worst thing that could have ever happened to our social lives.

Up here, we have an event coming, called biking.  Not for me; I can do this in my neighborhood.

Maybe we need to switch over to the retired ass. of america and see what they are up to.

We are not dealing at all with the new era of single retirees and most are women and their needs and new social requests at all.

This is a dito dito website and I am sorry I have 2 more years on my membership.

This particular site may not even be designed by older adults at all on staff at aarp.

I do not even know . We have no chapter meetings in MN any longer-we have no such place to mingle other than the aarp here posting events in the twin cities to go, which we already know about.

I joined single womesn travel and am seeking single senior roomates now in the south to save on money , lonliness, and having more finances to see other parts of the country.  I have applied for overseas teaching  and they will not take people beyond age 61 so here we are again.

BEING WRITTEN OFF

nn, called "annie"
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 109

Hi Diane:

Tell me what you are looking for and what kind of information you would like. Where do you live? Where do you like to travel? Your cheif concerns about dating? What brings happiness and excitement?

Bruce

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 109

We have been there and done it. In fact, few friends even want to talk about being single and their likes and love goals at age 70.  We have done it all.  We need NETWORKING RIGHT HERE

nn, called "annie"
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 109

May 1 Meetups i have been to are basically all women, and no diversity at all.  I stopped.  We need a dance club meetup for single boomers and basically get into SENIOR OR ENRICHED YOUNG AT HEART NETWORKING

There is no networking at all and I have worked with 3 social agencies in the twin cities whom see their people 1-1-thats is not networking.  Lonliness leads to demetia, so I would want those of us women who want good times from the past need to network right here.  You cannot even put an ad in any GOOD AGE magazine for retirees whom want to buy motorcycles as a later chapter in life.  No newspaper will allow it also but MEN, look at their magazines and see whats offered to them???

nn, called "annie"
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 109

5/1 DITO DITO DITTO

I never thought I would be single now either.  I do not know of anyone meeting anyone on this site.  We need to get back our dance clubs and dance centers of  the 70's that have been torn down.  Thats where I met people.  What is the goal of this site?

If you are single and young hearted like me and do young things, maybe some of us need to get together ourselves and refrain from untrusting us boomers.

nn, called "annie"
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 109

Once again, I can't praise MeetUps enough.  For anyone interested in more info on it, here is the website https://www.meetup.com/.  You can create a profile and bio and then search for groups and events in your area.  I live in SoCA, in Los Angeles County, in downtown Glendale, which is just nine miles north of downtown Los Angeles so I'm really fortunate that there are literally hundreds of groups and events in my area.  I've been an active member for three years and have had a really wonderful experience and have met so many incredible people, some of who turned out to be really great dates (some great stories for another time).

In retrospect, I'm not sure I would recommend that newly single people do what I did when I found myself single again at 53.  At the time, I hadn't dated since 1992 and had spent most of my adult life as a wife.  Needless to say, I was devastated and the demise of my marriage was life altering and I knew that life as I knew it would never be the same.  Subsequently, I made some really drastic changes in my life and my life today is kind of a 180 degree from what it used to be.  Not everyone can do that; it really takes a certain kind of person to do that - it's definitely not for everyone.

I left the nice house out in the burbs (Ventura County), with it's 90+min daily commute (rt) to work for a small apartment in downtown Glendale, 7blks from my office and a 30min daily (rt) walk to work.  Out in "Reagan Country" (hubby and I lived a few blks from the Reagan library), I was a closet Democrat and I never really felt like I belonged there.  The first thing I did when I left and moved to Glendale was join the local Democratic Club, where we were instrumental in collecting enough signatures to get an initiative on the local ballot.  It's been a good experience for me by meeting people who have a similar mindset and who share a lot of the same attitudes and philosophies.

I also bought a bicycle and joined the local Ciclavia club and began cycling; they have numerous events and functions in the area; I also began attending MeetUp bike events.  I then started going to other events and joining other groups with other members I was meeting.  Some of my fave groups and events are my hiking groups as well as some of my social groups.  I also joined a bowling league at the bowling alley around the corner from my apartment and started meeting people in my neighborhood. 

Glendale is also a very thriving community with so many restaurants, shopping areas and entertainment destinations and the city hosts a lot of different community functions and events where they close down several blocks of Brand Blvd (major blvd through the downtown area) for the day.  It's a great opportunity to hang out with friends, neighbors and coworkers; it also makes for some great dating opportunities.

After 18yrs in my professional industry, where I was a pretty passive member, I became more involved and joined a committee that organizes a couple of their annual events.  I also started going to more of the regular meetings and just started getting to know a lot of people that I've known about for a long time but never really associated with very often.  Subsequently, my professional life has become more rewarding and successful.

I could go on but the point is, I just started becoming a lot more active and sociable than I had been for a very long time.  Being married, I had kind of insulated myself in my own little "married" world and when I became single again, I did a lot of things that prevented me from insulating and/or isolating myself again.  I will never marry again (twice was enough) and I will never return to the kind of life I had before.  I love the life I have now and it's not that I didn't love my previous life or that I didn't love being married because I did.  However, my life is different now and I just no longer want to go back to living the way I used to.

Anyway, coffee break is over and I need to get back to work; I've babbled on long enough.  For those who are newly single and looking for ways to develop "meaningful connections", I strongly suggest that you start to look for opportunities where you can meet more people that share some of the same interests that you have.  It's my personal opinion, based on my own personal experiences, that the best way to meet viable dating prospects is through people you already know.  Whether that is through friends, family, neighbors, coworkers or some other acquaintance or associate, these are the people who are going to probably be the best way to expand your social circle.   

Kudos
Views