From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP DATING SITE

Message 31 of 115

@2beingme 

Hey thanks so much for sharing your story 

Your an inspiration to me & others

My marriage ended just over 5 years ago the 1st couple years were tough was living on my own for 1st time in my life at 56 years of age & lost my Mom & a best  friend of 25+years almost 4 years ago It all was a big whammy on my life. I too was devastated and knew my life would never be same hadn't dated since 1995 & dating doesn't seem to be same these days. 

I have  moved twice.  I couldn't or didn't want to stay in home we'd built 4 years before but was hard losing my 15 acres had with my 2 boys b4 met him 

I also never want to marry again.... been there done that 

Since can't work even being an outgoing person who enjoys being around others and usually made friends found husbands while working its tough finding connections 

Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions & giving me hope things will better just gotta put one foot in front of other & seek out others 

I don't have a bad life plus also realize things happened for reason & I have been blessed alot & keep trying to accept change can be a friend not the end of the world which I felt when all the dominoes in my life were falling apart 

Thanks & hopeful,

Ginger  : ) 

Smiley Happy Smile & the world Smiles with you Smiley Wink Pass one on....its free
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 115

Hi Diane:

Tell me what you are looking for and what kind of information you would like. Where do you live? Where do you like to travel? Your cheif concerns about dating? What brings happiness and excitement?

Bruce

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 115

Once again, I can't praise MeetUps enough.  For anyone interested in more info on it, here is the website https://www.meetup.com/.  You can create a profile and bio and then search for groups and events in your area.  I live in SoCA, in Los Angeles County, in downtown Glendale, which is just nine miles north of downtown Los Angeles so I'm really fortunate that there are literally hundreds of groups and events in my area.  I've been an active member for three years and have had a really wonderful experience and have met so many incredible people, some of who turned out to be really great dates (some great stories for another time).

In retrospect, I'm not sure I would recommend that newly single people do what I did when I found myself single again at 53.  At the time, I hadn't dated since 1992 and had spent most of my adult life as a wife.  Needless to say, I was devastated and the demise of my marriage was life altering and I knew that life as I knew it would never be the same.  Subsequently, I made some really drastic changes in my life and my life today is kind of a 180 degree from what it used to be.  Not everyone can do that; it really takes a certain kind of person to do that - it's definitely not for everyone.

I left the nice house out in the burbs (Ventura County), with it's 90+min daily commute (rt) to work for a small apartment in downtown Glendale, 7blks from my office and a 30min daily (rt) walk to work.  Out in "Reagan Country" (hubby and I lived a few blks from the Reagan library), I was a closet Democrat and I never really felt like I belonged there.  The first thing I did when I left and moved to Glendale was join the local Democratic Club, where we were instrumental in collecting enough signatures to get an initiative on the local ballot.  It's been a good experience for me by meeting people who have a similar mindset and who share a lot of the same attitudes and philosophies.

I also bought a bicycle and joined the local Ciclavia club and began cycling; they have numerous events and functions in the area; I also began attending MeetUp bike events.  I then started going to other events and joining other groups with other members I was meeting.  Some of my fave groups and events are my hiking groups as well as some of my social groups.  I also joined a bowling league at the bowling alley around the corner from my apartment and started meeting people in my neighborhood. 

Glendale is also a very thriving community with so many restaurants, shopping areas and entertainment destinations and the city hosts a lot of different community functions and events where they close down several blocks of Brand Blvd (major blvd through the downtown area) for the day.  It's a great opportunity to hang out with friends, neighbors and coworkers; it also makes for some great dating opportunities.

After 18yrs in my professional industry, where I was a pretty passive member, I became more involved and joined a committee that organizes a couple of their annual events.  I also started going to more of the regular meetings and just started getting to know a lot of people that I've known about for a long time but never really associated with very often.  Subsequently, my professional life has become more rewarding and successful.

I could go on but the point is, I just started becoming a lot more active and sociable than I had been for a very long time.  Being married, I had kind of insulated myself in my own little "married" world and when I became single again, I did a lot of things that prevented me from insulating and/or isolating myself again.  I will never marry again (twice was enough) and I will never return to the kind of life I had before.  I love the life I have now and it's not that I didn't love my previous life or that I didn't love being married because I did.  However, my life is different now and I just no longer want to go back to living the way I used to.

Anyway, coffee break is over and I need to get back to work; I've babbled on long enough.  For those who are newly single and looking for ways to develop "meaningful connections", I strongly suggest that you start to look for opportunities where you can meet more people that share some of the same interests that you have.  It's my personal opinion, based on my own personal experiences, that the best way to meet viable dating prospects is through people you already know.  Whether that is through friends, family, neighbors, coworkers or some other acquaintance or associate, these are the people who are going to probably be the best way to expand your social circle.   

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 115

Could you please forward me some information?

Thanks,

Diane Goldstein

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 115

There is a better way to promote more positive ways to communicate with other older singles.  AARP could be the organizer of a variety of week long programs conduced in cooperation with The Chautauqua Institution, Biltmore Estate, Stratford Festival etc.  Individuals would have freedom to meet others, but participate in fun cultural events. The key is bringing people together and doing something of value.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 115

I’m just joining to see what your format is  like and your clients. 

Thank you

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 115

@f298427d 

Hello fellow Baby Boomer Bella 

DITTO Ditto to everything you've said

Some awesome ideas and you hit the nail on the head about us not imagining we'd be in this place in our lives but we are

A meetup group sounds nice

Have question? Are you member of meetup? Could you share your experiences about it? Costs? I've checked out site but was wee bit confused about how operates... be grateful for any info Thanks!

Have a blessed day

Smiley Happy Smile & the world Smiles with you Smiley Wink Pass one on....its free
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 115

Greetings fellow Baby Boomers,

We’ve all heard the news. Baby boomers are the fastest growing demographic in the nation. I have several friends who are just like me - we never dreamed we would be at this point in our lives no longer in the long-term relationships we were so happy in. None of us ever expected or planned on being single - no one does. And yet here we are. Most of my girlfriends  are looking for the same thing – the opportunity to meet honest guys our age in a safe environment.  I definitely understand that an AARP dating website would be incredibly expensive and difficult to run. Perhaps AARP would be interested in sponsoring a specific Meet Up group?  I know 5 professional  women over the age of 55 in San Antonio that would be charter members. 

And if not, could AARP at least plan more activities in our area?  They could cover any multitude of topics – just please give us a chance to meet each other. That’s really all we want : )

Until next time,

Bella

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 115

To continue my finger hit wrong button....

I agree with your thoughts of how can build connections 

I tried a dating site Spoke & Texted with 2 guys & met each

1st guy didn't look like posts and lied(he said was joke few days later) about his past marriages... with my having definite trust issues because of way my decades marriage which I felt was in for long haul suddenly ended... his joking didn't go over well but I still tried but he freaked when wouldn't immediately respond to his texts. So I put end to that. 

2nd guy super nice brought flowers he lived Hour & half away which I felt be issue but he said no wouldn't had nice date and time together then also he freaked when didn't respond right away to texts... which if with my granddaughters my focus is on them at least till have time build on relationship. Also discovered was a player & with awareness to why distance not issue cause just wanted phone & texting relationship Sorry but I wanna spend time with a person to get to know them and don't believe can do that with texting. So that ended.

Maybe I've handled these wrong?? Not all up on ways of modern dating kinda old fashioned.But I am too old for games and mess like that as you've said with our past experiences All the things we did when were young crazy in love... aren't necessary Although I feel if I were to meet someone at this stage of life and as long as I can keep from making them pay for my ex's choices & I am able to focus on them and knowing life is a lot shorter today than was years ago believe could have a very nice and rewarding relationship..... well a girl can hope anyway.

Have a beautiful week! 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 115

@BruceT48072 

Well said Bruce

I understand their reasons for stopping dating site which took away time for other things available on this community.

I do like the fact that a member can post a Bio profile others can read although I'm the only one seen has done that but also the fact that you can send private messages through this community is very nice and helps with building bonds between members who connect over topics of interest.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors