Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

AARP DATING SITE

I have placed my profile on this site to try and meet someone that is compatible with me in my area that maybe I can began a with and see where it goes. The problem is there is a hacker of kind that is pretending to be someone he is not with pictures and profiles that tries to befriend you but it is something in the dialogue that lets you know that it is not quite right. So far I have been able to depict him within the first conservation or so but it has gotten frustrating. His responses are dead give aways. Somehow he lets me know that it is him or a friend. One thing that I have discovered is the are not from the United States. One of the conversations got to the sob story about hard times and I immediately knew that the money question was coming next but I stopped him dead in his tracks before he could board that ship. I have emailed howaboutwe.com because I am very disappointed with the paid membership but have not received a response to date. Can you folks tell me your opinion and experiences with Online dating? Please give me suggestions on how to proceed. I am 56 ( or will be next Friday) but I am ready for a relationship now that all the children are grown and on their own. I am a 2 time divorcee so i don't have patience for nonsense and playing games.

Periodic Contributor

I am totally new here. Is this a dating site on this forum here?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

The reason for my initial post was that I was asking "why AARP doesn't have a dating site".  No one seemed to know.  To my knowledge you still need to go outside of AARP's site to one of the many websites that offer dating apps.  Good luck and be careful!

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@EveRH  - Thanks those were some great responses to @Midgekin.

AARP did test a dating partnership a few years ago and it just wasn't a great fit.  There are dating sites that are businesses solely for that purpose and AARP's mission is not to become that.  We are here to help members connect with one another on like subject matters and we can tell you that many have made lifelong friends here online.  We hope that you are also interested in finding others to discuss a wide array of topics and that you will find friends that are interested in discussing similar subject matter.

Let us know if we can help you or have additional questions.

AARPTeri
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@AARPTeri wrote:

@EveRH  - Thanks those were some great responses to @Midgekin.

AARP did test a dating partnership a few years ago and it just wasn't a great fit.  There are dating sites that are businesses solely for that purpose and AARP's mission is not to become that.  We are here to help members connect with one another on like subject matters and we can tell you that many have made lifelong friends here online.  We hope that you are also interested in finding others to discuss a wide array of topics and that you will find friends that are interested in discussing similar subject matter.

Let us know if we can help you or have additional questions.

@emuller48 

I've attached a response from Teri that is below (about 10 down) in this thread 

AARP tested a dating site some years ago 

Good luck,

Ginger  : ) 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

The biggest problem with senior dating is not related to dating sites.  Most people require time and interaction together before they are ready to "date".  Instant connections do not work. There is always a lack of trust.  Conversations begin with the superficial where micro responses are always subject to misinterpretation or comparison to negative memories.  Looks, perceived wealth and limited time together doom most seniors at the beginning.  Fear, lack of passion and unrealistic expectations gurantee most first meetings are last meetings.

Contributor

Please how do I register on your dating site as I cannot find where I can register to meet my better half

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@CavelliC456022  AARP does not have a dating site at this time.  We have a great variety of forums to talk to others about a myriad of topics that we hope you will join in.

AARPTeri
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

AARP should have a dating site. But it should use different strategies.  Activities, communication  and meeting are important components for dating. Probably AARP needs to sponsor singles weekends where people can do a variety of activities guranteed to run into a diversity of people. Somewhere along the line, AARP needs to help people deal with safety and honesty.  The challenge is helping people know that fun and togetherness comes first.

Social Butterfly

@joefriday14 

Well said Bruce

I understand their reasons for stopping dating site which took away time for other things available on this community.

I do like the fact that a member can post a Bio profile others can read although I'm the only one seen has done that but also the fact that you can send private messages through this community is very nice and helps with building bonds between members who connect over topics of interest.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

To continue my finger hit wrong button....

I agree with your thoughts of how can build connections 

I tried a dating site Spoke & Texted with 2 guys & met each

1st guy didn't look like posts and lied(he said was joke few days later) about his past marriages... with my having definite trust issues because of way my decades marriage which I felt was in for long haul suddenly ended... his joking didn't go over well but I still tried but he freaked when wouldn't immediately respond to his texts. So I put end to that. 

2nd guy super nice brought flowers he lived Hour & half away which I felt be issue but he said no wouldn't had nice date and time together then also he freaked when didn't respond right away to texts... which if with my granddaughters my focus is on them at least till have time build on relationship. Also discovered was a player & with awareness to why distance not issue cause just wanted phone & texting relationship Sorry but I wanna spend time with a person to get to know them and don't believe can do that with texting. So that ended.

Maybe I've handled these wrong?? Not all up on ways of modern dating kinda old fashioned.But I am too old for games and mess like that as you've said with our past experiences All the things we did when were young crazy in love... aren't necessary Although I feel if I were to meet someone at this stage of life and as long as I can keep from making them pay for my ex's choices & I am able to focus on them and knowing life is a lot shorter today than was years ago believe could have a very nice and rewarding relationship..... well a girl can hope anyway.

Have a beautiful week! 

Periodic Contributor

Greetings fellow Baby Boomers,

We’ve all heard the news. Baby boomers are the fastest growing demographic in the nation. I have several friends who are just like me - we never dreamed we would be at this point in our lives no longer in the long-term relationships we were so happy in. None of us ever expected or planned on being single - no one does. And yet here we are. Most of my girlfriends  are looking for the same thing – the opportunity to meet honest guys our age in a safe environment.  I definitely understand that an AARP dating website would be incredibly expensive and difficult to run. Perhaps AARP would be interested in sponsoring a specific Meet Up group?  I know 5 professional  women over the age of 55 in San Antonio that would be charter members. 

And if not, could AARP at least plan more activities in our area?  They could cover any multitude of topics – just please give us a chance to meet each other. That’s really all we want : )

Until next time,

Bella

Social Butterfly

@Kaye6262 

Hey Kaye I have not met anyone here face to face but have made some friend connections here just from having topics in common 

Also there is group on here under Topic "Random Thoughts" called Front porch thread which has folks who live all over but check in everyday about Weather and such

So just a bonding found through having & sharing our common experiences 

Good luck 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@f298427d 

Hello fellow Baby Boomer Bella 

DITTO Ditto to everything you've said

Some awesome ideas and you hit the nail on the head about us not imagining we'd be in this place in our lives but we are

A meetup group sounds nice

Have question? Are you member of meetup? Could you share your experiences about it? Costs? I've checked out site but was wee bit confused about how operates... be grateful for any info Thanks!

Have a blessed day

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

There is a better way to promote more positive ways to communicate with other older singles.  AARP could be the organizer of a variety of week long programs conduced in cooperation with The Chautauqua Institution, Biltmore Estate, Stratford Festival etc.  Individuals would have freedom to meet others, but participate in fun cultural events. The key is bringing people together and doing something of value.

0 Kudos

Could you please forward me some information?

Thanks,

Diane Goldstein

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Hi Diane:

Tell me what you are looking for and what kind of information you would like. Where do you live? Where do you like to travel? Your cheif concerns about dating? What brings happiness and excitement?

Bruce

Hi Bruce, I see by the few texts you appear to be a dating advisor. I did say I live in Newport Beach, Ca. I have traveled extensively planning all my own trips from beginning to end on the Internet. A couple of exotic trips I planned were to India and Nepal and the Ukraine. I’ve been to a lot of places but still many to go. Traveling usually excites me, but planning the trip excites me also. Seeing my family excites me. Making Art excites me. That’s for starters. I don’t have concerns about dating, just about meeting someone that of that age that I can be attracted to and enjoy their company.

I’m not sure if you are asking for yourself or are a dating coach.

Diane

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I've never touched any of those "sites."  I have plenty of female friends and I value them for who they are.  Going the "distance" isn't that important to me.

0 Kudos
Contributor

What dating site? hmm. That would be a great idea for AARP to create. AARP members can chat about issues and also meet.  But Scammers always find a way to infiltrate the program. 

Hello Ladies!

I need to find someone fast and soon. Christmas is coming up and I need someone from the naughty list to show me a good time 😉

Im looking for that special someone cause I have a tumor in my left pinky.

I have 1,500 points already and if you want some, just put it on your wish list.

I'll see yall ho ho ho's in my workshop 😉

-Santa Clause-Kolson

0 Kudos
Contributor

WOW!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I need a new circle of friends and they aren’t on any of the latest dating web sites. What I’ve found ‘out there’ are a bunch of guys who want your money, act like they want a relationship and then vanish - literally- when things get too real for them. (I’m not giving up my financial security to anyone) Those who don’t want your money are married or for some other reason ‘emotionally unavailable’.   

What I’ve found outside the dating websites is a bunch of men afraid of approaching women. Sure they see you in church or at the grocery but due to today’s political correctness will not approach a woman for the fear of being loudly rejected, called a creep or worse, or just not heard as being interested. I actually feel sad for single guys because the places of meeting someone are now reduced to a singles bar or some other unsavory location. Who has time for that?  Come on AARP - we all want love and validation - please set up a way to help us meet each other. 

Regular Contributor

Amen!!! I don't know where you are but it sounds like the same kind of men in my area too! So sad! I'm finding I'm so cautious and wary when it comes to meeting people online and in the 17mon since I've been single again (after a 21yr marriage), online dating is nothing more than a system where I am giving up quality for quantity. I'm not into "volume dating" and would much rather have a handful of really good dates than a boatload of really bad and/or mediorcre dates.
Periodic Contributor

It is sad and I do feel sorry for the good guys who can never get a foot in the door because so many losers are clogging the path. I met a really nice guy yesterday who was the porter driving me from the dealership to my office and back. Nice guy - and btw I don’t care what your ‘profession’ is - as soon as I got in the car he started talking about his deaf daughter and we just clicked - I started talking about mine and before you knew it we were laughing like old friends. So now I’m the one who’s afraid - I want to get to know more about him - but “girls don’t chase boys”.  So now what? Just leave a great chance encounter on the table? Sadly, patience is not really my forte’. 

Regular Contributor

I've never subscribed to the girls don't chase boys rule. I think if you are fortunate enough to have connected with a wonderful man, why not ask him out for coffee? Sometimes, we miss our best opportunities for fear of what someone else thinks about it. We're not going to get any 'more grown', so live your life as you see fit. It's time to stop worrying about what people who couldn't identify you in a lineup has to say about your choices. Good luck to you!
Regular Contributor

AMEN!!!!! I love the Wayne Gretsky quote about missing 100% of the shots you don't take. Sooo true. Life is all about "taking a shot".
Periodic Contributor

I just signed onto this site and would love to know what happened. Did you and the transport driver ever decide to go out? I was raised to never make the first move but sometimes men are shy??

Germangirl/Huntsville Tx

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Reading your response about the shuttle driver had me remembering an Uber driver I met.  During our ride (about 30min) we had an incredible conversation that I really wanted to continue.  Long story short, I asked him out and while there were a couple of reasons why we weren't compatible, he was a really great date and I had a lot of fun.

Regular Contributor

Now see, if that was me, I would have said something like, "so are you dating anyone" and if he wasn't, I would have asked him out.  I grew up with a similar adage "guys ask out girls, not the other way around".  LOL  It's the 21st century and if I waited for some reluctant guy to ask me out, I would have a whole lot fewer dates.  Just saying!!!!

Contributor

I don't care what century we are in, Men don't like pushy and aggressive women.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP