Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's going on with these games again?

Message 1 of 5

@intersan wrote:

I just wonder if AARP is going to eliminate the "free games" and force us to select those that require a fee to play. The games, for those of us who regularly play them, seeing this advertising is a nuisance. They advertise enough, so why interrupt our games? I'm beginning to think that AARP will do anything to make a profit. 

AARP will do anything to make money. It has a huge staff to support. Staff that hasn't responded to any of the issues with this web site. But that's another thread on another day.

Install the AdBlock Plus and you, literally, will have no more to complain about regarding the advertising.

Prior to installing the AdBlock Plus, I not only was having the issues I described earlier, I was getting rogue ads that AARP had not approved but because their security on their web site and ad platform is so lax, had made its' way onto the ads played for their users. One was a 12 minute propaganda video by The People For Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) hosted by Paul McCartney. There were many other rogue ads that individuals had snuck on to the ads platform regarding subjects such as drugs, sale of property in India, and other inappropriate products for an audience in the United States.

I don't remember which poster recommended that I install AdBolck Plus; but, I do thank them again.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

I just wonder if AARP is going to eliminate the "free games" and force us to select those that require a fee to play. The games, for those of us who regularly play them, seeing this advertising is a nuisance. They advertise enough, so why interrupt our games? I'm beginning to think that AARP will do anything to make a profit. 

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

Wow! Thank you for this tip. Before when the ad was above the game box it was tolerable but since it has been changed I have stopped playing. I am sure that AARP does not need the revenue that bad and it has certainly made it miserable for us game players.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

Intersan,

First, I use Firefox as my web browser at AARP because my regular web browser with my Apple computer, Safari, doesn't work properly at AARP's web site. AARP's fault of course.

I was a late arrival to this but if you install AdBlock Plus on your web browser, there will be NO MORE ads on your games. None to the side, none above, none below, and most importantly, none in the game field between each game. You can go from game to game with great speed after AdBlock is installed.  As I said I installed it on Firefox. It was free and believe me, as computer illiterate as I am, it was very, very easy.

Several people told me to do this and I dragged my feet and am sorry I did. I found that all the problems I had with AARP's web site were due solely to the ads. Slow operation, inability to log off, and several other issues that are too many to count disappeared once I installed the AdBlock Plus. These issues had gone on for months on end.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

What's going on with these games again?

Message 5 of 5

For awhile, the advertisements were at least acceptable as they could be cut off in a few seconds. Today, it seems that most of them are full length with the same ones over and over. With all advertising already on the page, why does AARP have to intrude on the games? For one thing, I'd rather see them enhance some of their text applications such as spell check. 

Kudos
Views
Replies