Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MON MAY 7th, WELCOME TO BINGO GAME 475

Honored Social Butterfly

MON MAY 7th, WELCOME TO BINGO GAME 475

Hi Everyone. A hot and humid day out there, but a decent breeze blowing makes up for it.

Here are the numbers for today>

B-6  N-34  G-59  I-20  O-72

I-23  B-14  O-63  N-43  I-17

O-70  G-53  I-28

GOOD LUCK, I'll be back soon to check, Jen

Regular Social Butterfly

Some of you have been wondering how we are doing over here, in Hawaii, during the over active Kilauea Volcano.  First, thank you for your concern, most of Hawaii is doing fine. My family and I live in Honolulu. The only affected area rignt now is at the Leilani Estates, on the the Big Island. 

Honolulu is on the island of O'ahu, about 229 miles from the volcanic eruption and earthquake areas.  All the excitements are on the Big Island, also known as Hawaii  (same name as the State), the southern most and the biggest of all the islands that make up the Hawaiian Islands.  See map below.
Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 9.33.14 AM.png

The eruption was caused by the newly collapsed volcano vent (Pu’u O’o) which sits on top of a band of liquid lava, like an underground river.   The liquid magma (lava), which normally escaped through this vent, had no place to go.  Leilani Estates and a few other small communities are built on top of this lava river--hot real estate, right?  And that’s why we have “erratic" volcanic eruption.  Volcanologists do know of this possibility.  They just can’t pinpoint where the lava would decide to break ground and surface along the river.  Whenever there’s a rupture on the earth surface, as in this case, earthquakes happen. The Big Island had many tremors right after, mostly very small.  Then a big one shook up the Island, measuring 6.9 on the Richter scale.  Significant earthquakes usually create tsunami waves. 

No tsunami was generated from this 6.9 earthquake, nor from the smaller 5.4 shake, near Leilani Estates--where the flowing lava has already destroyed more than 30 homes.  The sea briefly receded about 1 yard at the Black Sand Beach nearby  (on the Big Island).  Although the bigger quake did shake Oahu, we certainly didn’t feel it. 

Because we live across from the ocean and next to a canal, a tsunami is not a good thing to have.  So we were blessed that none was generated. 

And the blessing continues, as the tradewinds, coming from the North-East, blow the heavy sulfuric acid fumes south westerly into the open ocean and away from the island chain.  A few smaller communities south of the eruption (on the Big Island)  do suffer from this volcanic by-product, but not as bad as it could, thanks to the strong tradewinds trying to blow it away. Our prayer for no rain by the eruption area was also answered.  Any precipitation over these plumes of sulfuric-acid-laden smoke stacks would create acid rain. 

On the local news, we learned that there was one family who fled from the California raging fire last year and moved into Leilani Estates.  Now their life is distupted again from the unpredictable and destructive lava.  It's so sad how some poeple can't escape suffering!

There are some great videos on Youtube and news networks, if you are interested in seeing Kilauea in action. 
Bronze Conversationalist

Wow just wow glad your ok be brave for the pople in the area of the eruption.Be safe.4 numbers tonight two rows started lets see what happens tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Thank you miliannie for this post, I did not know about the dual names, the state and the island, Hawaii, now I know and will remember this.

Such an interesting, exciting and beautiful place to live, barring the eruptions and, and other acts of nature, I guess we all have scary things happen, the midwest with it's tornados and snowstorms, the coastal states with their hurricanes, and the nothern states with blizzards, I'm just so glad your area wasn't affected, Thanks again, Jen

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Same kind of weather here but late this evening a few sprinkles, I got 7 numbers today and all over the place.

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

Today it got up to 90. I got two whole numbers. See you all tomorrow.
Charonanne E Kading
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Hi All - Only 1 number for me tonight.  Cloudy & warm here today

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Four numbers for me...Off to a grand start...Sunny out today, a bit of cool weather then it turned out fine...
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Four numbers and off to a fairly good start.

Warm day here, and not too humid yet.

Good luck everyone.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP