Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Anonymous
Not applicable

Writers' Club

• This discussion was created on April 16, 2021.
  • Authors, do you have any tips to share? Lol, over the years I have dreamed of writing a book. But where to start. 🙄
  • And any other want-to-be writers like myself. Please join us! 😁
Bronze Conversationalist

Oh goodness, that's a BIG topic. LOL I have found it helpful to ask myself some questions to get me started:

1. What is the main point I want to make?
  2. How do I want to ground and /or prove that point?
  3. Who is the intended audience?
  4. What do they want and need to know about my topic?
  5. In fiction, what is the tension or conflict the characters need to resolve?

After that, plunge in. Write every day, even if it's just a paragraph, or a description, or a bit of dialogue.

Do you have a topic you want to write about?  Tell us about it. 

#Writing #Writers #Authors

Anonymous
Not applicable

💥April 17, 2021💥

Hi @DeahWA I appreciate you making the time to join our discussion 🙂 MY PASSION: It took being HOMELESS in my OLD age (July 2017 to August 2018) to realize more AFFORDABLE housing is needed for the USA growing in numbers senior citizens. My PASSION is to SAVE myself from becoming HOMELESS again and other seniors from becoming HOMELESS. It is CHEAPER to PREVENT homelessness, versus RESCUING us AFTER we have become homeless. That is what I want to write about. 

Trusted Contributor

It seems you already know what you want to write about. You are way ahead of some people I know like yours truly.

When I started writing, I had no idea what I wanted to write about. I didn't even think there was anything viable I could write that people would want to read. 

So, I joined a writers group, mainly seniors, from beginners to intermediate level. It took me another five months before my stories took shape and gravitated to a nonfiction theme. 

I suggest you look around for such a group (perhaps online now because of DOVID), and make time to write a paragraph, a page, or whatever every day. You also want to read books, and especially the ones in the genre you are interested in.

Wanjiru Warama
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist

Writer's groups are a good idea. I've done 3 of those in the last year, one for memoir writing, one for poetry, and the third was more all over the place but inspiring just the same.

The folks at Writer's Digest have "prompt" challenges throughout the year. There's one for poetry going on now and may occur again in November, and one for flash fiction was done in February which I'm hoping will repeat. I've turned both of my efforts from participating in those into ebooks. Really helped get into the writing habit. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

💥April 17, 2021💥

Hi @DeahWA I agree and will see what they have at my local library once pandemic is behind us. Not into online. Luv meetings in person. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

💥April 17, 2021💥

Hi @WanjirusBits thank you for sharing your Writing Journey with us 🙂 Luv the suggestions, thanks! No pressure to provide, is there anything you would like to share with us? @DeahWA shared her book info on her AARP profile and her blog info in this discussion. Happy Writing!!

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Excellent topic, and one in which there should be much interest among senior readers.

So I see both fiction and non-fiction possibilities for writing on this topic. Which would be easiest for you to start with?

Are you blogging about this topic already? If so, a collection of blog posts can become a book!

BTW, the way I got into fiction lately was to start with a memoir, and then to turn it into a fictionalized true story, which gave me more freedom to talk about some people and incidents.

Anonymous
Not applicable

💥April 17, 2021💥

Hi @DeahWA 

1. No blog
  2. Not sure which would be best (fiction or non-fiction)
  3. Hmmm, maybe articles versus a book???
  4. One of my goals/dreams is to travel to see the AARP CEO in Washington once PANDEMIC is behind us (no masks, 6-feet)
  5. Also want to ENCOURAGE all AARP members to approach their communities on this. All it takes is ONE person to make a DIFFEENCE.
  6. I am passionate about TINY LIVING for retirees (no loft, no stairs, wide enough for wheelchair use and storage).
Bronze Conversationalist

Articles can definitely be produced more quickly than a book, and can become the book later. 

"Knowing" you here for all of two days -- LOL -- I can see that you are a natural with writing and posing solutions. That's a great fit for blogging. And by the way, traditional publishers now want to see a readership track record, so blogging can be a valuable asset for even getting a publisher, or for marketing a self-published book.

You're also talking about advocacy, being an "influencer" as its called now. Blogging can help build your authority in that regard. It can get you "out there" weekly, instead of waiting a year or more while producing a book.

Can you tell I'm a fan of blogging? LOL

Anonymous
Not applicable

💥April 17, 2021💥

Hi @DeahWA no pressure, but would you like to share your BLOG info here or on your profile. Lol, I am assuming you have one. I bet a bunch of folks, including ME, would like to visit it 🙂 

Bronze Conversationalist

Oh @Anonymous, I have had way too many blogs in my careers, and have deactivated most of them now that I've retired and don't want clients any longer. However, things live forever on the internet, so here is a way to get to one that might be of interest:

https://drdeah6.wixsite.com/thenohypementor/how-to-blog

This link goes to a webpage with tips and further page links, but the menu at the top of the page has a tab for the blog itself. For some reason the blog posts themselves are displaying with a heavy dark border around them and I need to fix that. But they should be readable. Ugh, that's the downside to a blog -- constant maintenance!

Social Butterfly

@DeahWA , Great material on your link.  Thank you.   ---  Christine

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP