Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Who's attempted a DIY haircut?

Retired Community Manager

Who's attempted a DIY haircut?

Beauty services in some states, including salons and barbershops, are starting to reopen. Even with new rules and restrictions in place, you may or may not be comfortable patronizing these shops just yet.

Has anyone resorted to a do-it-yourself trim, clip, color or haircut? Was it a success or a fiasco? Share your story in a post below. And we'd love to see your photos of the finished product!

Super Contributor

I've sent for a barber eliminator, which I'm not so sure was a good idea.  But at 74, what do I have to lose.  Time to live dangerously.  The little hair I've got left shouldn't induce a panic.  If worse comes worse, I could always opt for the Yul Brynner.

A hoodie could always be used as a last resort.

After about 8 weeks of working from home, I drastically needed my hair colored.  My hair stylist was not taking clients during COVID-19 since she was very pregnant.  My husband offered to do it for me, so I picked up the hair coloring from my stylist and we had the best time.  It was hilarious, and made some great memories, it even turned out really well.  I'd hire him again 🙂

Periodic Contributor

I was needing a haircut when the world closed down and, after several months, I resembled a LABRADOODLE!  (on a bad day.)  I can color it myself but....cut it? Coward that I am, that seemed risky.  Who knew how long it would be before I could have someone fix the mess I'd undoubtedly make?  Finally, scissors in hand....I did clip the ''bangs'' up to eyebrow length.  (Ah!  I could see again!)

My thoughts were...I could fling myself onto my stylist's lawn and toss a tantrum....or.....I could get an appointment at the PetSmart Grooming Salon, where Mr. Randy (who's probably used to clipping Labradoodles) might take pity on me.

Amazingly, my stylist called me to say she was doing a few carefully selected clients and would be in my area the following week!  We agreed that I'd wash, comb out and she'd cut my hair out on my patio.  Wrapped up like mummies, we tried to keep one another at socially accepted distance while she snipped.  And snipped.  And snipped.  (She did NOT mention the rather odd lengths just above my brows--too tactful, I assume.)

I told her I'll never, EVER leave her....as long as she's working...she's stuck with me.  

Honored Social Butterfly

Well, I have not yet attempted any kind of hairstyling services.  But after all these months, I sorely need both a perm and a good dye job (so tired of the grey).   So I'm thinking, just thinking, about trying to do both myself--on different days of course.  And when I have mustered up enough energy to start and finish the task.  Until then, I will continue to keep my hair pulled back in a semi-rattail style.  Easy peasy! Smile.

Contributor

Awesome!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes it was a wonderful experience because I thought that I could do it but was a bit hesitant. Then I decided on a strategy, ponytails. I formed several ponytails, one at the crown and just cut off the ponytail. The outcome was a layered cut.  It looked very good. Took selfie and sent to friends. Received several compliments.

Contributor

My brother claims I'm so tight I sqreak when I walk, and that's about right. I've been cutting my own hair pre-covid19 for the last 15 years. I'm currently sporting a crested hairstyle perfect for fossils or dinosaurs such as myself. You should see the looks I get!

Regular Contributor

I have been cutting my own hair for more than twenty years and when i take the time they usually come out very well and stylist. I was educated by a former barber about the three major hair cuts and how they are preformed. Since then almost thirty years ago I have been cutting my own hair. It takes time and commitment. Sometimes two to three mirrors and good lighting, a stool and then time. In case you may have to rim your mistakes later the next day. Always wash you hair before trying to cut it. One because it cuts easier and more measured.
Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

My hair is pretty short to begin with.  Lots of complicated layering and all that.  But I got so sick of it in June, I cut it myself, and did a great job!  LOL so then of course I thought I was the bomb at this, and just cut it again in mid-August.   

This one was AWFUL.   Totally lopsided.  Not straight anywhere.  Puffy in the back.   I can hide the damage well enough during zoom meetings, but it's too much of a mess to go outside.  

I will have to get it professionally done but I was truly trying to avoid places that I felt were "unnecessary."  I guess my hatchet job has now made it necessary....

You are only three weeks away from your next best haircut!   Hang in there.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I was going to try and do my own but my hair is a little complicated for me to do it or my wife. I don't think I could trust any of us...

Periodic Contributor

I have been self isolating since March,  however I may not go out again for months . The reason: I attempted a DIY haircut!!  I kept procrastinating.  Putting the haircut  on and off and then on and off again...well you get the picture.

My  Save A Buck Salon is located in a major grocery store, so I was reluctant to go to a place where hundreds of people were buying bleach and squeezing melons .

Did I mention I can also be impulsive?  Last Thursday  as I was washing my hands,  I spotted  a manicuring scissors sitting on the bathroom counter . I looked at my mane in the mirror and thought why not?? After attacking the rogue mullet cascading down my neck  I snipped  up the sides and fringed the bangs. Don’t try to picture it. I have draped the mirrors!

Well now I have to procrastinate, If hair grows about a half inch a month I may be ready to go out by Ground Hog Day!

Periodic Contributor

Your story is hilarious!  Please know that out of your DIY haircut you may have found a path as a comedian!

Periodic Contributor

Thanks I am trying to “look” at it as funny!!
Retired Community Manager

@MariaE, I agree with you and so well put! @vfotis, great story 😄

@MariaE wrote:

Your story is hilarious!  Please know that out of your DIY haircut you may have found a path as a comedian!

Super Contributor

My wife cuts mine about once a month, but it really doesn't make any difference. After men get over that 70 mark, we become totally invisible to women from 16 to 86, so lno one is going to notice a bad haircut. My 50-something Son is letting his grow long enough to put up in a pony-tail. I told him once he has that, he's going to have to take up a musical instrument and learn jazz. The last jazz concert I went to, about half of those white-haired old boys were sporting ponies!

Bronze Conversationalist

My last trip to a barber was in the mid-'70s. I bought a set of electric clippers for the price of about two trips to the barber. I've been cutting my own hair ever since. While I do have a newer set of clippers I bought about 20 years ago, I just have those still in their box in case my old clippers ever give out.

I went through a phase when I'd buzz my head every few weeks, but I've alternated through periods of using the included guides for a little bit longer hair and then I'd go around the edges to even things up with the bare clippers. I'd have to use a double mirror to get the back.

Since I retired 8 years ago and a few other times when I was still working, I've also had a beard, so I have used the guides to do the bulk of the trimming on my chin, above my lips, around my head, over my ears, and even for those three hairs still hanging on for dear life on top.

Once every few trims, my wife will notice a spot or two where I didn't quite get it right and take a minute or two to even up those parts or to get the hair on the back of my neck below a decent trim line.

Stay well!

Contributor

Ummmm...me.  Yup!  That would definitely be me!  Epic Fail!

Periodic Contributor

I've been cutting my own hair for years and since I stopped dying it I haven't been to a beauty parlor in a long time and don't think I'll ever return.  I keep it short and since its wavy this hides any bad snips.  Through practice I'm now proficient at it and really glad, especially now with the corona virus amongst us.

Regular Contributor

I have colored my hair in the past---always successful.  Cut my bangs--always good.  The rest---I have learned to let my beautician take care of cutting my hair!

Candice Gourley
Kudos
Views
Contributor

Hi...

The pop star and her family have embraced the DIY hair trend while in lockdown, after the singer and her son recovered from Covid-19. Pink showed off the results of her self-inflicted cut on Instagram, revealing the untidy sides of her head where she had attempted to trim with a razor. 

Periodic Contributor

'm thinking about it-my hair's gotten long and

I am used to short/chin length hair.

I just have to make myself do it.

Periodic Contributor

Check the Internet for step-by-step instructions with photos/illustrations. I used one of them and my haircut turned out pretty good. It was scary, but my hair was falling out due to stress (I think). It's getting longer and still looks pretty good. The real test will be when we can go back to our hairdressers!
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I have cut my own hair for over twenty years. I had a Barber friend that showed me that there was mostly only three different cuts of hair that were made by barbers. Simply said they were short, medium, and long. Long meant to only trim the hairs that frenzied out of the locks, in short a trim but not a long trim. The medium cut was a little ore in depth and required scissors and or a electric razor, which unless educated on that style, be aware the cutting blades need to be at a certain depth which is regulated by a trimmer that attaches to the shaver, be very care and learn before using this style of method or go bald overnight, lol.

The most basic and true method is using a good pair of scissors and a comb. I usually want my hair an inch form my scalp and to do that using the fingers is a way of doing that. Your fingers are usually an inch and when you scoop up you hair between your fingers you have one inch to your scalp, then cut. But this is going to be a heard task, because you have to do it to the other side of your head also. This creates a lot of concentration and a double mirror is going to be the key to getting it done right. Cropping your hair between two fingers and pulling it upwards and then using the scissors cut along the palm of those fingers, one inch of hair should be left, but do it system mathematically. Left side, right side. back and then top of the head. It takes learning and time to get it right and do it with clean and dry hair in order to get it even and where you want it. 

Set up, get a comb, scissors, brush and two mirrors front and back. Be extremely careful because you could put out and eye waving scissors around. 

I did this for over twenty years and made some great hair cut on myself, but sometimes it takes two days to get it right and a few hours to do. This is not for everyone, and it take a good deal of concentration and a couple of mirrors to take on. So so see your Barber or stylist and let it be.     

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

I suggest you do it a little at a time.  If I try to do it all at once, it turns out badly.  This way, if you see something that looks a little ragged , you can go back and trim a bit. After about 5 or 6 trims, it usually turns out fine.  

I've been cutting my own hair for years. I have a Wahl home hair-cutting kit. It has saved me a lot of time and money over the years. It saves time because I can cut my hair in less time than I would spend driving to and from the barbershop. My haircut looks fine to me. However, my haircut is easy to do because I keep my hair very short (about 1/4"). 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP