Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What would make you go to the movies again?

Honored Social Butterfly

What would make you go to the movies again?

This may not seem a question for here but think of all the industries which are phasing out because of modern technology.  Movies are an excellent example of an industry trying to compete with technological and social changes.  I could have used coal mining, or beach front property (climate change will swamp all those resorts) but let's talk movies. 

Bronze Conversationalist

I haven't been to a movie theater since the Aurora shooting. And now with streaming services and a big screen tv, ability to pause the movie, a clean bathroom and "free" snacks just steps away, I'm not sure I'd ever go back to public screenings......unless.......on a date with someone I'm not yet wanting to be alone with in my condo! LOL

Super Contributor

I'm 83, and I told all of my adult kids to let me know when they see a movie that shows some originality, and my wife & I will go. I've been to 3 or 4 that I've enjoyed during the past year. but one thing I know for certain-I won't be going to Rocky XII or Indiana Jones and his adventures on a rollater ! Hollywood at it's most useless !

Contributor

If they opened up more drive-ins and had us strategically parked. Call out for snacks and have delivery to the car identified by letter and number. 

Periodic Contributor

I would return if there was something worthwhile to watch, beyond the fantasy realm and mentally stimulating. Who can tell me which character and from which movie the line " In a battle of wits Sir, you are unarmed!" came from?

In case you know the answer, I may be found on Island 51, not to be confused with Area 51. If you thought the first Big Bang was good, wait till the next Big Bang arrives, it may leave you breathless!

Robot surprised

0 Kudos

screening of a "good one".

0 Kudos
Contributor

Movies that are entertaining and enjoyable. Movies are a wonderful way to just unwind nd relax if they can hold your attention and lately they have put out movies that are fact base and really enjoyable and informative. Thanks for in survey.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Remember drive ins?  Or better yet, the recording Cheech & Chong at the drive-in.  Double features, remember those?  Portable speakers hanging from the back window.  The poor car hops trying to find your car.  Or trying to remember where the h--- you parked on your way back from the snack bar.  Kids in their jammies in the back of a station wagon.  Sometimes adults back there too but I won't go there.  Checking out other people's cars.  Making sure the angle of your car on the slope is just right.

Sometimes, sometimes starting your car at the end of the movie and you hear CRUNCH!!!   %&@#!  Someone forgot the speaker.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

If prices would come down across the board. Snacks and admission are too high

It gives me a night out with friends to see a feel good movie. Thank you for doing this for us.

0 Kudos
Contributor

If the price of the tickets and refreshments were not so high.

0 Kudos

I Love going to the movies.  Specially if there is a good story line or if it is action packed.  Also can't forget the popcorn. ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos

Really good movie story line; theater w/recliner seats & food/wine served 

0 Kudos

If the food was cheaper,  or every now and then get complimentary tickets and popcorn pack... 

0 Kudos

Ritz theater, philadelphia, passes

0 Kudos
Contributor

I love going but please keep the babies home and the cell phone off and I would be there ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

0 Kudos
Contributor

More movies without all the computerized content. Just real actors! Also, lower prices, Fixed incomes make it difficult to spend so much to go to a movie, especially when you can get so many on TV now.

Susan
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I am a little amazed at the number of responses regarding the quality of "popcorn" that makes them either go to, or miss going to, movie theaters? That may have held some truth 50 years ago, but today is a different story. Whats to like about popcorn that is salted within an inch of its (and my) life, and coated with some mystery grease that tastes more like used motor oil than butter? I pop a huge bowlful made with peanut or similar organic oil, season with fresh herbs and spices (jalepeno is one of my favorites), coat with some real melted butter (optional), and at pennies on the dollar for the theater variety.

I won't even try the popcorn offerings at sporting events for the same reason.If you think the stuff they are pumping into your popcorn box has any relationship to real butter....don't.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Lower the cost of ticket prices.  That's a given. 
Offer discount days where all movies all times are less than $8.00 dollars. 

My biggest pet peeve is the astronomical prices at the concession stands. Almost twenty-five dollars for a large popcorn and beverage.  Are you kidding me?  A combo gives you a small break but certainly no value.  If I just want a beverage, almost $5.00 dollars for something to drink.  The small sizes are ridiculously small but way overpriced. A small popcorn is finished in three bites and horribly overpriced.  Forget the candy or gumdrops, they are a King's ransom.  Offer me value-priced food and beverage items and you will get me back in the theatre in no time.  Keep gouging me on the products and there is no need for me to return.  It's that simple.       

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Better movies would be one way.  Less violence and bad language.  More good roles for women of all ages, shapes, colors and sizes who are allowed to keep their clothes on.  Then more roles for women in general, small roles, character roles, et al.

As for things the theaters themselves could do:

1.  List the actual time the movie is going to start, not the starting time for the commercials and previews for movies I would never go see.

2.  Throw out anyone who uses a cell phone during the movie.

3.  Throw out anyone who talks loudly.

4.  Throw out people who allow their children to be disruptive.  

5.  Throw out anyone who sticks their feet up on the seat ahead of them.  The last time I went to a movie, two teenage boys put their feet up on either side of my head.  They thought that was hilarious.  I decided to never go to another movie as I've had them ruined too many times, most often by boys acting stupid, but occasionally others.

6.  Keep the theater and bathrooms clean.

7.  Paper towels in the bathrooms, not air blowers.

8.  No scented soaps in the bathrooms.  The last time I went to the theater, I couldn't figure out what the horrible sweet smell was that quickly clogged my sinuses.  I had to leave at the first intermission but stopped in the ladies room to wipe my running nose and eyes and discovered it was the soap that was stinking up the place and making me sick.  I should have demanded a refund, but I just had to get out of there so I could breathe.

9.  Keep in mind it is a theater where people are sitting.  We don't need the air conditioning thermostat set to 60 degrees.

0 Kudos
Contributor

The main  reason my husband and I donโ€™t go to the movies is that people are rude. They carry on conversations as if they are in their own den which makes it difficult to hear. The cost is also a factor. We have On Demand, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. Itโ€™s much cheaper to rent a movie and watch at home. I do miss seeing movies on the big screen and sometimes I donโ€™t like having to wait to see something Iโ€™ really interested in.

Contributor

Love movies very entertaining.

0 Kudos

I attend a movie at least once a week   for the very reasons mentioned. It like anything else will disappear if not utilized . Yes they are cold but take a jacket. And the afternoon matinee for seniors is usually $5.00 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Great movies coming out. You have offered me tickets and the movie was great, thanks for thinking of us seniors.

0 Kudos

We do not go as much as we used to, but I always like the way my wife wants to hold hands - after 27 years!

Super Contributor

Wait 'til you 've been married 62 years like I have.The only reason my wife would hold my hand would be to keep it out of her popcorn !

Contributor

I've tried to rent a few videos and they're all pretty tacky, the majority so when I go to the theater I only see christian-based movies, where Jesus is alive again, praise God!
Periodic Contributor

I don't think there is anything that would ever get me back into a theatre again. Cell and smart phones all around you destroy any enjoyment of watching, or even being able to pay attention to a show. Same with live shows for that matter. I wish they would ban them.

Also, with all of the viewing choices at home, coupled with 80 inch tv screens and sound systems, it is tough for me to fork out $50 to see a flick in a theatre. Did I mention far better snack choices at home? 

To paraphrase Quint... I'll never go back. 

Contributor

We still go to the movies and love it!  With the new theaters now with the comfy reclining seats I would rather see a movie on the big screen than at home.  Yes, it's expensive, but for the blockbuster style movies, you can't beat it!  Besides, they have way better popcorn!

I still go to the movie's my grandsons and I attend all the time so they keep me up to date with what is new.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP