Looking for work? The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring more than 500,000 people nationwide. Learn more.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What to know about avoiding depression

Message 1 of 12

The best remedy for me when I get depressed is some sunshine and a good uplifting book. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 12

What really works best for me is Going to the gym and focus on lifting. You might not be blessed with hunter eyes and a strong jawline, but you can develop a physique that girls will have a similar reaction to, All the insecurity and depression, allow it to piss you off and use it as fuel at the gym. You get nothing out of feeling bad about the current situation. You need to visualize what you want to look like in the future and become excited about that instead of feeling sorry for yourself now.

Just my tow pence Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 12

Your frame of mind has to think of what can I do differently than I couldn't do before.  When you worked or took care of children, didn't have time for, that's what you do now.

I love going outside on my lanai and talking to the trees, my plants, they have so much energy that they give freely.  No, I'm not a nut.  Energy is the key to vitality.

Have you ever heard of Qijong?  Breathing exercises, that heals your body inside and out. Go on YouTube and look up Dr. Janke.  He's awesome, he gives you easy exercises.

Dont like heavy duty exercises, go on YouTube again and look up Hasfit,  they have the easiest and the most fun with great coaches, who crack jokes and make you smile more.

Dont think your sixty and onward, think of it like this- how old are you, my grandson asks me- I'm not as old as the mountain, I'm not down in the valley, but still climbing up the mountain but certainly not over the mountain!  It makes everybody smile, including yourself!

Remember, you can do anything you want now, so try Anything!!  

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 12

I read in a book that a good way to get out of your depression quickly is- put yourself in a box, a big one so you don't feel claustrophobic. Then, close your eyes and slowly, climb out of the box and walk down a road. ( still keeping your eyes closed)

You can put whatever you want on the road, beside the road to make yourself feel good. As your walking, you come to a open space and this is where you build your sanctuary, a place where you want to get away from whatever is bothering you, your own place.

I put a fountain of water, so I can put my hands and face in it and feel so wonderful, cool and refreshing.  I also put animals, there as well, rabbits, put I didn't touch them ,just let them roam free.  I put flowers also with butterflies which gives me loads of peace.  I had trees on the perimeter so I felt safe that nothing could harm me. Everytime, I would go there I would add something new, which its your sanctuary so you can do anything. When, something tries to come into your sanctuary, you block it and say your NOT allowed.

So, when your feeling depressed, you start walking down your road, or project yourself straight into your sanctuary for genuine peace.

I have given this idea to so many people and they told me, it's really transformed them.

No matter where you are, you can go to your sanctuary in seconds and sit and listen and feel so good!

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 12

When feeling like getting depressed, you can take a herbal medicine, it's called # 6, it's from Hylands.  What it does is it puts everything your worrying about in back of your body so you can enjoy the moment, like looking out the window, and see beautiful trees, birds on a branch, or flowers in the dirt, small things to make you smile again.

#6 does not harm the body, because its a homeopathic medicine.

It brings peace of mind so you can enjoy something in front of you, like a cup of coffee, a conversation, a ray of sunshine.  You will be thinking differently too, more relaxed and not nervous or anxious.

I use to be very uptight when going to work but as soon as I took the pill, everything I thought of at work went directly behind my back, and I noticed how blue the sky was, as I was walking to work.  I noticed the clouds, how they looked like animals.  I smiled and felt soooo good, as I got closer to work.  What a difference!

I always take # 6 now, to keep me calm and relaxed wherever I go.  Believe me,  it changed my life and how I look at it now.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 12

I would add that Rumi was right: "The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you."

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 12

My ex-husband died on the 9th of July, exactly a year ago. During that last visit to the doctor, he was asked-How are you feeling -and he said 'Really Depressed'  He knew in his gut that he was on the way out but our greatest regret is that we heard what he said but were really not listening! 

We tried and tried and tried and tried to do what we thought was the right thing  to make him heal and get better but he left us a week later.  Now I will never know what I could have done differently to keep him here-and it will haunt me forever!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 12

How do folks deal with just getting older-thinking there is nothing to look forward to except illnesses, loneliness, sorrow etc. I have tried therapy-just told to take more xanax.  I am joining a Y, and signed up to volunteer at 2 places. I was an older parent and most of my friends are due to the friendships of my children. Now those parents are younger and dont get what its like to reach 60-65.

Please offer any suggestions.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 12

These are all some great ways to avoid depression. When it comes to diet I also highly suggest avoiding white sugars as this can be very detrimental in causing moodswings and inflamation. My teenager was having some major issues with this and was suffering from these issues. His therapist recommended that he cleanse from white sugar and it really worked wonders.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 12
That was the best explanation of Depression I have ever heard.
Thanks for that.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season