Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What's your favorite book about African American history?

Community Manager
Community Manager

What's your favorite book about African American history?

Share your favorite book about African American history and let's see how many new books we can find or what we have in common.

AARPTeri
Periodic Contributor

Just Mercy by Brian Stevenson  founder and head of the Equal Justice Initiative,about his efforts on behalf of unjustly imprisoned Black citizens. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@a313311s wrote:

Just Mercy by Brian Stevenson  founder and head of the Equal Justice Initiative,about his efforts on behalf of unjustly imprisoned Black citizens. 

This is on my To-Read list for 2020! Before I see the movie....

Contributor

The Warmth Of Other Suns

by Isabel Wilkerson

one of best books I've ever read.

A new favorite is The Last Thing You Surrender by Leonard Pitts, Jr. 

Race relations in the US before and during WWII. 

Contributor

LONG TIME COMING, by Elizabeth H. Cobb's and Petric J. Smith

The inside story of the Birmingham Church bombing.

Contributor

The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson was a wonderful book about the great migration of southern blacks north.  As a white woman it gave me great insight on the struggle of this journey.

Sherry P
Honored Social Butterfly

@sp67275981 wrote:

The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson was a wonderful book about the great migration of southern blacks north.  As a white woman it gave me great insight on the struggle of this journey.

This! Such a great book.

Periodic Contributor

Just ordered it from my library - thanks for the reminder!

Contributor

Number 1 on my list of favorites is:  "From Slavery to Freedom," by John Hope Franklin.  It was the textbook used for my African American History class, when I was an Under Grad. at Johnson C. Smith Univ. I

Years later, when I taught a college course in African American History, I used a much later edition of that same book, as one of my assigned books for my students.

Contributor

Cool! I'm reading that book now, after starting it and then setting it aside a few years ago.

R.I.P. John Lewis.

Regular Contributor

I have many, since Black history is my field. To list a few:

Black Majority, Peter Woods

Down by the Riverside,  Charles Joyner 

Both of these deal with slavery in the South Carolina Lowcountry 

Probably my favourite is Someone Knows My Name, known in Canada as The Book of Negroes

It's the story of an old Black woman, who is asked to write the story of her capture, enslavement, and escape from slavery for English Abolitionists.  It's truly incredible and unforgettable. 

Conversationalist

Right now, I'm reading a two-volume biography of Paul Robeson, written by his son. The pair is The Undiscovered Paul Robeson; the first volume is An Artist's Journey, 1898-1939 and the second is Quest for Freedom, 1939-1976. These days, Robeson is not well known. I find him inspiring and fearless as well as exceptionally talented as a singer, actor, and public speaker. I would love to have met the man at any time in his life. Yet, I will be surprised if he gets much attention during Black History Month. 

Conversationalist

"Race Against Time" by Jerry Mitchell. An investigation into the murders of James Chaney, Medgar Evers and the bombing of the 16th Street Church during the Civil Rights Movement.

"The 1619 Project" detailing the beginning of slavery in August 1619  A New York Times podcast hosted by Nikole Hannah-Jones.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP