Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What is the secret to long life?

Message 2 of 38
You also have another secret to long life; a good sense of humor!
Sir Granny Tracy
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 38

Above all thank God everyday for His blessings.  Honor parents and care for them each day, be a decent, moral person and follow the Golden Rule.  Set reachable goals, live an active life and learn to rest and relax.  Eat nutritious food and get a good night's rest, enjoy being around others and be satisfied and happy with your surroundings.  That to me is the secret of living a long, well deserved life.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 38

Seems to me, the secret to long life is to put off dying, just as long as possible.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 38

Starting new things to do.  Just begin and let your mind flow with it,  if you feel this is not for me, then try something else.

I started Qigong, because of tripping, literally.  They say as you stand, you become a tree, your feet are your roots and your head is in the heavens, gathering all the Qi from above and sending it down to your roots.  I love that idea! Your arms are your branches, so let them sway in the air.

Then, I started to embroidery.  I started small, butterflies, which makes me smile everyday and orange leaves that reminds me of fall days- jumping in the leaves, dancing and singing, it brings such beauty and happiness to your mind. I remember embroidering as a young girl introduced by my Mom.

I love talking with my grandchildren, their minds are opening and searching.  They have plenty to say as you sit with them. Each of them has their own personality, so let them blossom, even if one is so quiet like a tomb.

Exercising not so much until I ran into Hasfit.com, then it became fun, relaxing and very enjoyable.  You can play your own music with them as they guide you to the next exercise, building your muscles, and they have so many to choose.

I love to read and found out you can read your favorite books right on your iPad. That means traveling into other worlds, and excitement.

Are you a gamer? Begin on your computer or iPad and meet people all over the world, which Love to meet you.

The key is To Open Your Mind and explore, no matter what it is!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 38

I thought I knew all the do’s and don’ts for a long life. The regimen generally revolves around a good diet, moderate exercise, socialization, etc. and then I came across an article on the Internet: Why People in "Blue Zones" Live Longer Than the Rest of the World. The first things I wanted to know were -- What are Blue Zones and where can I find them?

Blue Zones are places where people consistently have fewer chronic illnesses and seem to thrive longer than most. So, where are they? Italy, Japan, Costa Rica, and the only city in the U.S. that qualified -- Loma Linda, CA. In these places, people can exceed 100 years. Surprisingly, their diets are not too dissimilar from what we should already be following although I like the idea of the 80% rule. Eat until you are 80% full and not 100%. Intermittent fasting is also recommended. Fasting is whatever works for you. I find fasting not only good for my body, but good for my soul.

Maybe the one thing that people seem to be doing in Blue Zones is practicing what they preach. We know what we’re supposed to do. People in these locates actually do it – habitually; no exceptions.

While I have no plans to relocate, I concluded that there’s no earthly reason why I can’t add more years to my life. Some might say that the most difficult part of any new journey is getting started. I would say it’s maintaining the momentum, so take it a day at a time.

I encourage you to read the online article that inspired me to want more time. Just imagine making a few changes that could potentially pay off in big dividends such as a healthier, more rewarding, and longer life.

“Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.”    --Rumi

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 38

In addition to the regular things such as eating right, sleeping 7 hours minimum, exercising on a regular basis, no smoking, and an occasional alcoholic drink this 80 year old volunteers. Working for a chamber of commerce as a citizen member with a business background and mentoring/counseling small business people as another volunteer opportunity gives me the chance to contribute to the betterment of society but also allows me personally to learn more from the combined experiences far more than than the sum of my contibutions to each individual task. Continuously challenging ones mind keeps a person young.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 38

I think it is keeping a positive attitude, eating as healthy as possible, socializing and willingness to help others.  Oh, and sleeping at least 7-8 hours each night.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 38

My secret is keeping it to no more than two beers and one cigar a day.  Hmmm, I guess it is no longer a secret!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 38

Doing everything in moderation. No smoking and no excessive alchol or other drugs. Keep the body and mind moving. Have ambitions. Don't just stay alive; live. And, lastly, good genes help.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season