Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What birds are you seeing now?

Retired Community Manager

What birds are you seeing now?

This is an exciting time of year for birdwatching! On schedule, the hummingbirds have returned to my area. I've set up a feeder for them (they also are attracked to the salvia I planted last year). And I'm glad I did, we've had everything from extreme temperature changes to heavy rains.

Take a close look at my photo below and you may be able to see a hummer in the upper right corner. What birds are you seeing outside your window?

Hummingbird enjoying the salviaHummingbird enjoying the salvia

Kudos
Views
Replies
Silver Conversationalist

Cardinals! Its been said around here that cards are the arrival or re-incarnated friends and relatives coming to let us know they are ok. It thats true and I choose to believe in it Id love to ask my wonderful father-in-law how,after a lifetime of drab business suits he likes being dressed all in bright red. I'm positive his response would be amazing.

0 Kudos

@dp89933584 awwww๐Ÿ˜

Periodic Contributor

8A99DF11-DAAA-4466-8889-C6A0A89C2304.jpeg2167827C-3166-4D71-A69F-FBD5C10504FF.jpeg277C016B-BB06-412A-A668-E00B7B7E0840.jpegC30CBBA9-BC20-4CB0-80A6-EFF6F83E0FBC.jpeg3794E969-5FAC-4B2C-B36A-69EF491EAE95.jpeg671B3A3F-0B21-4B9F-B04E-FE5E1E70D0AA.jpegBA40E3FC-DD60-4D00-8D19-56B7FFBF30E1.jpeg9FC6FAD0-FBB2-4B65-9CAF-9B23C56AD57A.jpeg9112A2C4-C8DF-459A-B43B-766CFEBBE097.jpeg30E0E68D-185F-485D-B3B0-35920D67F344.jpeglove all the nature visiting my backyard pond in Florida. 

Pj54

@p439300g, thank you for sharing your beautiful photography. Looks like you have nice, healthy ecosystem there. Must be very peaceful.

Regular Contributor

Have a pair of Sandhills cranes in the field in front of my house. I canโ€™t get close enough to them to take a photo. I love painting birds. Saw an Indigo Bunting, so beautiful just had to paint him. Also get a lot of Red Breasted Grosbeak eating the sunflowers in my feeder.A637DCFE-C112-442B-907C-8307E4F77B07.jpegDBF6EB93-3F53-4509-94B0-AA0B08D02959.jpeg

Anonymous
Not applicable

(2 comments) That is a lovely painting @vd6349 !!! You are so talented.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Nice job with the painting.

Candice Gourley
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Thank you Candice! I love painting birds. This is a fun one I did of talking ostriches.3EE72E9A-A949-48CC-983B-BB9EC1DEF8EA.jpeg

0 Kudos

@vd6349, your subjects and paintings are beautiful!

Regular Contributor

Thank you Lynne. I love painting wildlife and birds are one of my favorite subjects.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly

I'm in Tucson, Arizona and in the past 20 days have seen 20 different types of hummingbirds at my feeders. First year I saw a Lucifer Sheartail.

@OscarE1968, that sounds delightful! I had to Google the Lucifer Sheartail...what a special sighting!

Contributor

Again this year we had four robins hatch out over the door to my mother-in-law'sFour robinsFour robinsFour robinsFour robins porch entrance.

Regular Contributor

The baby Robins are so cute!!! Thanks for sharing the photo.  It will be no time til they are fledged and gone.  Hope to see more photos!

Candice Gourley

Hi @CandiceG867658, just checking in to say hello and good morning! Hope you're feeling better and better each day.

As usual, we have several barn swallow nests from years past tucked away under the porch roof. I like to call them "repeat customers"๐Ÿ˜„ One group is ready to fledge and a few other families are getting started. Also noticing that there are some squatters trying to make use of the nest but the barn swallows are not having it!

In general, I'm not seeing nearly the variety of birds as in the last few years (painted bunting, oriole, scarlet tananger, spotted towhee, fewer hummingbirds, even). Being in Texas we normally get to see a nice variety of migratory birds but not this year. I'm not sure what's changed?

Regular Contributor

My husband and I took a little trip around our countys back roads and deadends and saw many wild turkeys, European starlings, Blue Jay, Northern Cardinal, Northern Mockingbird, English Sparrow (House Sparrow), House Finch, American Crows , Black vultures, Eastern Buebirds, several American Goldfinch, and a Scarlet Tanager (life bird for both of us!)

Candice

Candice Gourley

@CandiceG867658, you've invented mobile bird-watching! ...the Scarlet Tanager was a special one to see. It took me a while to realize what I was seeing. I kept saying aloud, "wow, s/he's REALLY red" until I realized I hit the jackpot--scarlet tanager!

Regular Contributor

I am in middle Tennessee.  I am inside all the time due to a broken leg:(   I have a nijer feeder bag at my back window. The Carolina Wren loves to sit on the shepherds hook and sing away.  Today it brought another wren in the back yard (perhaps a "Mrs"?) The House Finches are happy attacking the feeder bag.  Yesterday a baby House Finch complete with white downy tuffs on its head, a tiny stubby tail, a loud consistantly chirping mouth, and alot of wing flapping and shaking showed up on the window sill. It was  begging for food from its parents. The Mourning Doves, American Robins, a few American Crows, a few Carolina Chickadees, Northern Cardinals, Mockingsbirds (our state bird) and a couple Chipping Sparrows have been spotted out my window. 

Candice Gourley

Hi, Candice (@CandiceG867658), what a wonderful variety of birds. (I especially like the wrens!) You're description really helps me to imagine what it must be like in Tennessee this time of year--wonderful. I'm sorry to hear about your broken leg (I've experienced that too so I can sympathize with you). Wishing you a complete and speedy recovery! -Lynne

Regular Contributor

Thanks Lynn.  Went to the ortho dr today about my leg.  It was not a good type of break.  Got 6 to 8 more weeks of healing---no driving---and no picking  up any thing heavy.  Husband gets to do more laundry!  

Saw a pair of Starlings and 5 very hungry fledglings.  Busy parents!  The baby House Finch is still around.  It is flying better and eating on its own today.   And the vultures were out.  We have Black Vultures here.  They are really good for cleaning up road kill but have weak grip in their talons (claws) when it comes to trying to pick it up! 

What else are you seeing?

Candice

Candice Gourley
Community Manager
Community Manager

I think this bird is watching over my family.  Every morning I can find him/her looking in our side bay window from this bush.

redbird.png

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

Sandy, the lovely red bird in your picture is a male Northern Cardinal. The female is brown with a tinge of red here and there. The Cardinal is the state bird of 7 states There is probably a nest around and the bush is a safe look out for him to chase other birds away from his territory. Enjoy!
Candice Gourley
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP