AARP’s "Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families" can help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to receive a free copy.

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What are your favorite Thanksgiving traditions/memories?

Message 1 of 20

@2Papa wrote:

My favorite memory of TG is going over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house.  The horse knew the way to carry the sleigh.  🦃

Good one : )

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 20

@grannybunny wrote:

I'm 72 now, but when I was 5 years old, I stayed home with my Mom -- instead of going with my Father and 2 Sisters to see the J. L. Hudson's Thanksgiving Day Parade in Downtown Detroit -- to help her fix Thanksgiving dinner, as I always did.  Things were a lot different back then.  When you got the turkey, you had to remove the remaining "pin feathers" and singe off any remaining hairs/bristles on the outside of the bird.  We also used to sew closed the cavities -- with string -- after inserting the stuffing, so it wouldn't come out during the roasting.  While we were readying the turkey, my Mom got a phone call that went on and on.  The phone was in the hallway, in a special niche built into the wall for that purpose.  I remained in the Kitchen.  I heard Ma tell her caller that she still had to "sew up the turkey."  Wanting to be helpful, I went ahead and did that -- to surprise my Mom -- while she was still on the phone.  The only problem was that we hadn't yet inserted the stuffing, so my handiwork -- crude as it was -- had to be undone.  It was good for a laugh though.  Ma was an awesome cook, and could make a wonderful meal out of very little, as a result of having survived the Great Depression.  She also knew how to appreciate and enjoy as much as possible about life.  One of the reasons I liked staying home and cooking with her -- besides the fact that I was "the Baby of the Family" -- was because when we made the pumpkin pies, she would let me make little pastries for myself out of the left-over pie crust (her pie crusts home-made with lard were World-class, too).  My little peanut butter and jelly-filled tarts were awesome, and instilled in me a life-long love of cooking and baking, albeit accompanied also by a life-long struggle with my weight.  The trade-off for having that beautiful one-on-one time with Ma was well worth it, though.

Hi @grannybunny   and thank you for sharing your lovely story.

Memories last a lifetime and time spent with our loved ones is priceless!!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 20

I'm 72 now, but when I was 5 years old, I stayed home with my Mom -- instead of going with my Father and 2 Sisters to see the J. L. Hudson's Thanksgiving Day Parade in Downtown Detroit -- to help her fix Thanksgiving dinner, as I always did.  Things were a lot different back then.  When you got the turkey, you had to remove the remaining "pin feathers" and singe off any remaining hairs/bristles on the outside of the bird.  We also used to sew closed the cavities -- with string -- after inserting the stuffing, so it wouldn't come out during the roasting.  While we were readying the turkey, my Mom got a phone call that went on and on.  The phone was in the hallway, in a special niche built into the wall for that purpose.  I remained in the Kitchen.  I heard Ma tell her caller that she still had to "sew up the turkey."  Wanting to be helpful, I went ahead and did that -- to surprise my Mom -- while she was still on the phone.  The only problem was that we hadn't yet inserted the stuffing, so my handiwork -- crude as it was -- had to be undone.  It was good for a laugh though.  Ma was an awesome cook, and could make a wonderful meal out of very little, as a result of having survived the Great Depression.  She also knew how to appreciate and enjoy as much as possible about life.  One of the reasons I liked staying home and cooking with her -- besides the fact that I was "the Baby of the Family" -- was because when we made the pumpkin pies, she would let me make little pastries for myself out of the left-over pie crust (her pie crusts home-made with lard were World-class, too).  My little peanut butter and jelly-filled tarts were awesome, and instilled in me a life-long love of cooking and baking, albeit accompanied also by a life-long struggle with my weight.  The trade-off for having that beautiful one-on-one time with Ma was well worth it, though.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 20

My favorite memory of TG is going over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house.  The horse knew the way to carry the sleigh.  🦃

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 20

By being able to cook a large Thanksgiving dinner from the bird down to sweets that filled a twenty foot long counter top, even the table we use to do for thirth years. We always had all our kids, grandchildren every year until i had an heart attack in April 2015 and from then on upto today, nothing. We do have one daughter that brings us a plate during Thanksgiving and Christmas and then she leaves and just my husband and I are alone once again. Our memories has long gone now just wishing that we could all get together again and as it turns out that, "we" really are not here anymore and i cannot eat all the foods i once loved during this time because i cannot have salt and or anything green as well as ham and just an inch square of white turkey.

Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 20

Last year I wrote about Thanksgiving at my grandparents' house and my special duck plate. Now I'm reminded of the first Thanksgiving after we were married, and my first time stationed anywhere with my Army husband. He knew what it was like being a single guy at Thanksgiving, so He invited the whole office. We were nine, including a married couple who were also pregnant and one guy's girlfriend. I had never cooked a turkey in my life, so Shirley, the other wife, dragged me to the commissary, instructing me to get a Butterball turkey. She and Al came early so she could help. She kept saying, "Rub more butter on it. Butter is seasoning". The thing got so greasy it slid off the too shallow pan onto the floor. We didn't tell. The dinner turned out fine, and was repeated the next two years we were there, after I got a deeper roaster. Also, I never bought another Butterball turkey in all the forty-seven years since. Sorry, Butterball people.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 20

When my husband and I were in our 30's he was in graduate school and we lived in a very small apartment in married student housing at the university. For at least two Thanksgivings we invited friends and students to a potluck Thanksgiving meal if they were not able to go home. We had about twenty-plus people sitting on the floor, in lawn chairs, etc. We were all happy to share food and wonderful company.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 20

When I was in my 20s (about 30 years ago), I went to my mother and step-father's home for Thanksgiving. Expecting the usual turkey, stuffing and all of the trimmings, my step-father said my five brother and I (I am the only sister) had to carry up all the firewood from the barn up to the house to "earn oru keep" before we could eat. It seemed reasonable since mom and my step-father heated their home with the firewood for the winter and they were getting older that we would help.

We worked all afternoon in the cold, carting the wood by hand and by wheelbarrow. Whe we were finished, we couldn't wait to eat! When we went into the house to clean up, we didn't smell the usual Thanksgiving fixings. My mom had made a big pot of chili and toasted cheese sandwiches!

It doesn't sound like much of a Thanksgiving to most people, but it was one the most fun days I spent with my step-dad and brothers I ever had, and the chili really hit the spot!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 20

Remembering my mother and Thanksgiving

Being a terrible cook is what kept my near-perfect mother from achieving 100 percent. She never met a boxed mix she didn't like. When confronted by spices, she ran the other way. She and my father regarded the invention of instant mashed potatoes as a life-changing moment.

Yet when I think back to my mother's Thanksgiving celebrations, my memory is that of walking into her apartment and being hit with the sweet aroma of Overwhelming Happy. Sure, the turkey would slice into dried threads of meat, the corn and cranberries came from cans, and the cake was a combination of Betty Crocker and pudding mix, but there was Marge clad in her trademark sleeveless smock apron, smiling so hard that the room grew three times brighter. She may have seen us the day before, but the hugs we got were from someone who couldn't believe her luck that we were there.

So again I give thanks for my mother, the gardener who planted whatever seeds of goodness her granddaughter and I may possess.

Marge knew that unlike birthdays and Christmas which are rated by the number of presents, Thanksgiving is the best holiday by the presence in our lives of the ones we love and cherish.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

What are your LEAST favorite Thanksgiving traditions/memories?

Message 10 of 20

One of my worst Thanksgivings is when we were at Ambrose's place near the hills. This was at the time when Cinetha was still with Tony and his works! Anyway, to make a long story short, it was a total mess! No wonder that place is no longer accessible to the community at large!!

Kudos
Views