Bronze Conversationalist

What FREE Things Are You Enjoying During The Pandemic?

Lol, it has been a CHALLENGE for me to AVOID extreme BOREDOM with so many FREE events being put on HOLD.

• What about and your loved ones?
  • What FREE stuff are you finding to do while you WAIT out the pandemic?
0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Conversationalist

Great question @AngelaS579497 . 

For years I have been involved in various online forums. Many contacts from those gravitated over the years to Facebook and for a while I was offering asynchronous classes via Facebook. Not doing that anymore, but still have contact with 100s of people there. So during isolation, it's been a blessing to be able to chat and joke with internet friends just like usual.

I've taken several writing workshops online and via Zoom, and have done a couple of the Writers' Digest prompt challenges where a host provides a word each day for a month and participates write a poem or flash fiction on that prompt. Those are fun, great discipline and mental / creative exercise,  and totally free.

I've sought out old classmates I grew up with since kindergarten and worked on developing renewed friendships. 

I've tried to sort through closets and drawers and take stuff to Goodwill-like charities.  Now thinking about doing the same with old paper files like tax returns and old receipts that are no longer needed or can be digitized.

And I started an iPhone photography course, which got me out of the house and walking for a while, but I didn't keep that up.  Need to get back to that!

My daughter has been training a service dog during this past year, mostly from free videos on YouTube. She got him as a 2 month old, I think, so he's still a pup. Her biggest challenge is keeping strangers from wanting to play with him when they are out at a store, even when he's wearing his service dog in training vest. Big no-no. That's forcing her to learn more assertive skills for herself too.

View solution in original post

Bronze Conversationalist

Me, ZERO except for my volunteer work at the homeless shelter I stayed in my OLD age July 2017 to August 2018. I wanted to GIVE BACK once I RETIRED last year JULY (2020).

Lol, had tried working in the kitchen which I could do 7 days a week. I lasted a whole month 🤣😂 Way too many YOUNG folks walking around it WITHOUT masks and felt a need to be up close and personal (to heck with MY 6 feet). I got DRAINED AND ANGRY and called it quits.

Then one day I had stopped by their CLINIC after my 1st MODERNA vaccine on February 10th to see my Doggie Friend ATHENA. While I was sitting in their WAITING ROOM loving on Athena who thank goodness let me/lol, I noticed the 2 planters beside me were DEAD!!! Hmmmm, I wondered if they would let me take them home for a FUNERAL/lol, then replace with a SELF-WATERING planter that would last for 2 WEEKS. Yes!!! They were so GRATEFUL 🙂 So now I visit the clinic every OTHER Monday with 2 REPLACEMENT planters and take the 2 that were there home to soak really well and so on.

I also get FILLED UP with Doggie Luv 🤗

Her mom is the Manager of their on-site clinic and knew I have NO one that CARES here in Virginia. She  ALWAYS made time for me the 13 months I stayed at the shelter while I SAVED for my 2006 Hyundai Elantra after getting a job at Carilion Hospital. Up till then I was working part-time at Habitat for Humanity through the GOODWILL SCSEP program.

A FREE job-training program for ages 55+. Once I got my NEW job, I could move into the CUTE Studio Apartment I am in now. This AUGUST will be 3 years 🙂 This area's city bus schedule is a joke and NO trains. The car allowed me to work 7 days a week until 11pm. Buses stopped at 7pm and ZERO on SUNDAYS. These 2 planters get dropped off NEXT week Monday (26th). Cannot wait to see Athena and her mom. My VIRGINIA family 🤗🤗20210418_191759.jpg

This is Athena 🤗20210315_122017.jpg

Now your turn to share with us 🙂

Conversationalist

Great question @AngelaS579497 . 

For years I have been involved in various online forums. Many contacts from those gravitated over the years to Facebook and for a while I was offering asynchronous classes via Facebook. Not doing that anymore, but still have contact with 100s of people there. So during isolation, it's been a blessing to be able to chat and joke with internet friends just like usual.

I've taken several writing workshops online and via Zoom, and have done a couple of the Writers' Digest prompt challenges where a host provides a word each day for a month and participates write a poem or flash fiction on that prompt. Those are fun, great discipline and mental / creative exercise,  and totally free.

I've sought out old classmates I grew up with since kindergarten and worked on developing renewed friendships. 

I've tried to sort through closets and drawers and take stuff to Goodwill-like charities.  Now thinking about doing the same with old paper files like tax returns and old receipts that are no longer needed or can be digitized.

And I started an iPhone photography course, which got me out of the house and walking for a while, but I didn't keep that up.  Need to get back to that!

My daughter has been training a service dog during this past year, mostly from free videos on YouTube. She got him as a 2 month old, I think, so he's still a pup. Her biggest challenge is keeping strangers from wanting to play with him when they are out at a store, even when he's wearing his service dog in training vest. Big no-no. That's forcing her to learn more assertive skills for herself too.

View solution in original post

Bronze Conversationalist

Wow @DeahC77388 you have been busy!!!! Thank you SO MUCH for stopping by to join our discussion 🙂 🙂

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Virtual Community Center 

Offering a wide variety of FREE interactive, online events and classes designed for learning, self-improvement, and fun. Learn More

Members Can Play More

Membership unlocks free online games and puzzles including classic Atari Games. Join today for just $12 per year with Automatic Renewal.

AARP Membership

AARP Rewards

Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts. Get started with AARP Rewards now!

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health