Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What Do You Think is the Most Romantic Movie Ever?

Social Butterfly

What Do You Think is the Most Romantic Movie Ever?

I know it's the day after Valentines but what the heck. What movie do you feel is the perfect romance and why? I would have to say "Gone With the Wind". Funny because it was my mother's favorite too. I remember as a teen she took me to see it for the first time. Of course it didn't really do too much for me then. She also passed the book on to me. That was much better and after a few years I saw the movie again and now I understood the characters.

Pity crushing on Leslie Howard and Clark Gable when they've been gone for so long. But Clark Gable stood the test of time. Even compared to sex symbols of the present day...Clark as Rhett Butler, MWWWRRRROWWR. The thing I love about this movie besides the stars is it was the way great movies used to be. No shades of gray or people being crazed weasels. They left things to the audiences imagination.

Like when Rhett hauls Scarlett up that staircase, you just know the house was a rockin', they didn't have to be graphic. Scarlett all happy the next morning said it all. Yes the portrayal of blacks in this movie is an abomination...But just concentrating on Rhett and Scarlett...Oh and IMHO he does ultimately go back to her. They knew each other too well. He probably goes to town and Belle Watling talks him into going home.

So whats your favorite romance?

Honored Social Butterfly

Nightmare on Elm Street.

Freddy loved them teenagers!

Periodic Contributor

Charades with Audrey Hepburn

Periodic Contributor

Yes, 'Charade' with Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant is a great romantic film.  

I think the movie Something Gotta Give moive is romantic.  

Regular Contributor

Romancing the Stone: Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner (whatever happened to her?)

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Doctor Zhivago........

Gen. Yevgraf Zhivago: Tonya! Can you play the balalaika?

David: Can she play? She's an artist!

Gen. Yevgraf Zhivago: Who taught you?

David: Nobody taught her!

Gen. Yevgraf Zhivago: Ah... then it's a gift.

Now. the saddest romantic film I've seen, or saddest, period, is Tess of the D'Ubervilles.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Contributor

Nobody loves a poit lie a Russin

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@retiredtraveler wrote:

Doctor Zhivago........

Prior to clicking to open this thread, that is exactly what I came up with and then thought, nobody could relate.

Now that IS a movie. Whatever hapened to the movie industry?

But there are so many others in my collection:

• Serendipity
  • While You Were Sleeping
  • Sabrina
  • Sleepless In Seattle
  • The Lake House
  • French Kiss
  • Notting Hill

...just to name a very few.

Alex

Ghost

Kudos
Views
Contributor

The Lakehouse tied with The Notebook.

Regular Contributor

I love the Lake House. Very romantic. Oh, and the Notebook? ..... get the tissues out. Another good one. 

Conversationalist

I have not seen a movie yet that I think is more romantic than Maytime (1937), which is a little older than I am. It stars Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy.

Periodic Contributor

I'll have to see Maytime because my vote was for a movie with the same characters: Rose Marie - 1935.

Contributor

The best romantic movies featured Audrey Hepburn--Breakfast at Tiffany's, Sabrina, Love in the Afternoon, and Roman Holiday; I never tire of watching these classics, and the final scene is so poignant--Gary Cooper swepting Audrey into the train, Humphrey Bogart waiting for Audrey on the boat, George Peppard and Audrey finding Cat, and Gregory Peck and Audrey seeing one another one last time.

Contributor

ROMAN HOLIDAY
Honored Social Butterfly

"....Now that IS a movie. Whatever hapened to the movie industry?....".

Went for cheap special effects instead of great dialog, plot, sets, music. I'm a fan of the big-budget films from the 60's-70's that are far too expensive to even contemplate making today (Ben Hur, King of Kings, Spartacus, Lawrence of Arabia, etc.).

We mostly watch English film now anyway --- American films, except for indies, are (to generalize) too violent, too much cursing, not enough character development.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."

Remarkably silly response. Every movie you mention is full of blood, dead bodies and carnage.
Conversationalist

@retiredtraveler wrote:
I'm a fan of the big-budget films from the 60's-70's that are far too expensive to even contemplate making today...

Yet have you ever noticed in the last couple of decades how they try to impress the general population (aka sheep) by telling us how much money was spent on making a movie...and that is supposed to impress me or indicate to me that it is great movie.

As I mentioned in another post, mindless crap for the mindless masses.

Alex
Periodic Contributor

THE WAY WE WERE.  ....When Hubble slowly takes the last flyer from Katie' s hands...with teared eyes and mumbles "see ya Katie"... then stops traffic to get to his waiting cab across the street, then Katie half smiles with " See you Hubble...I'M DONE..each and every time.

Social Butterfly

I realize how out of the loop I am. I've heard of but never seen so many of those movies. The last one I saw all the way through was "The Hurt Locker".

Social Butterfly

What about Debbie Does.......................oh never mind.   LOL

Social Butterfly

Was that movie 1956?  LOL

So you like rough trade. Nothing wrong with that.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP