Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: What Birds Are You Seeing Now?

Message 21 of 69

@l483260lwrote:

FIRST BIRD I SAW OUT BACK WHEN I BOUGHT THIS HOUSE IN 2009 WAS A HUMMINGBIRD HOVERING AROUND THE BEAUTIFUL ORANGE TRUMPET VINE FLOWERS. TRUMPET VINE IS VERY INVASIVE HERE IN NORTH TEXAS. IT HAS SINCE  PULLED DOWN PARTS OF MY 6 FT. WOOD FENCE &  PRIED UP  SECTIONS OF SIDING ON   MY HOUSE. THERE IS A HUGE (3 FOOT DIAMETER) DRIED OUT TRUMPET VINE "NEST" ON THE BACK FENCE  (WHERE I SAW THE HUMMINGBIRD). WHEN IT DRIES OUT IN COLD WEATHER, IT LOOKS LIKE A GIANT NEST & THERE ARE STILL  BIRDS HANGING OUT  THER .  SO WHEN  I HAD THE FENCE FIXED, I REQUIRED THAT THEY CLEAN ALL UP, EXCEPT LEAVE THE BIRD HABITAT. SO GLAD I  DID, CAUSE THAT IS WHERE   "SARGE ANN COMPANY"( THE ROBINS) ARE HANGING OUT    HERE LATELY. AHH SPRING( MOSTLY-!) SO GLAD IT'S NOT  YET "SILENT SPRING"

@l483260l A case of 'if you build it --or in this case, leave it-- they will come', eh? Awesomeness! Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 22 of 69

FIRST BIRD I SAW OUT BACK WHEN I BOUGHT THIS HOUSE IN 2009 WAS A HUMMINGBIRD HOVERING AROUND THE BEAUTIFUL ORANGE TRUMPET VINE FLOWERS. TRUMPET VINE IS VERY INVASIVE HERE IN NORTH TEXAS. IT HAS SINCE  PULLED DOWN PARTS OF MY 6 FT. WOOD FENCE &  PRIED UP  SECTIONS OF SIDING ON   MY HOUSE. THERE IS A HUGE (3 FOOT DIAMETER) DRIED OUT TRUMPET VINE "NEST" ON THE BACK FENCE  (WHERE I SAW THE HUMMINGBIRD). WHEN IT DRIES OUT IN COLD WEATHER, IT LOOKS LIKE A GIANT NEST & THERE ARE STILL  BIRDS HANGING OUT  THER .  SO WHEN  I HAD THE FENCE FIXED, I REQUIRED THAT THEY CLEAN ALL UP, EXCEPT LEAVE THE BIRD HABITAT. SO GLAD I  DID, CAUSE THAT IS WHERE   "SARGE ANN COMPANY"( THE ROBINS) ARE HANGING OUT    HERE LATELY. AHH SPRING( MOSTLY-!) SO GLAD IT'S NOT  YET "SILENT SPRING"

SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)

Message 23 of 69

@l483260lwrote:
SAW MY VERY FIRST ROBIN OUT THE BACK DOOR THIS MONTH- BEAUTIFUL THING IS THAT A DEAR OLD FRIEND NAMED ROBIN( SHE COULD REALLY SING & "MAKE A JOYFUL NOISE") JUST PASSED AWAY, SO ' I'VE NAMED THE PROUDLY & LOUDLY SINGING,WHISTLING ROBIN IN HER HONOR-"SARGE" MY NICKNAME FOR THIS INCREDIBILE WOMAN WHO WAS A SERGEANT IN THE ARMY. THE ANSWERING BIRD IS "ANN COMPANY", AS IN 'SARGE AND COMPANY.'THEY'VE SANG BACK & FORTH FOR THE LAST WEEK PLUS, EXCEPT TIL THIS WEEKEND WHEN CRAZY TEXAS WEATHER DIPPED INTO 30'S- 40'S AGAIN!

That's such a lovely remembrance; thanks for sharing it with us. Smiley Happy

Robins are a chatty bird, aren't they? Here they like to hang out (and nest) in the juniper trees. Not all of them stay for our Rocky Mountain winters, but those that do like to eat the juniper berries after they are fermented. They seem to get drunk on them.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 24 of 69
SAW MY VERY FIRST ROBIN OUT THE BACK DOOR THIS MONTH- BEAUTIFUL THING IS THAT A DEAR OLD FRIEND NAMED ROBIN( SHE COULD REALLY SING & "MAKE A JOYFUL NOISE") JUST PASSED AWAY, SO ' I'VE NAMED THE PROUDLY & LOUDLY SINGING,WHISTLING ROBIN IN HER HONOR-"SARGE" MY NICKNAME FOR THIS INCREDIBILE WOMAN WHO WAS A SERGEANT IN THE ARMY. THE ANSWERING BIRD IS "ANN COMPANY", AS IN 'SARGE AND COMPANY.'THEY'VE SANG BACK & FORTH FOR THE LAST WEEK PLUS, EXCEPT TIL THIS WEEKEND WHEN CRAZY TEXAS WEATHER DIPPED INTO 30'S- 40'S AGAIN!
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)

Message 25 of 69

Update on the great horned owl: There are two owlets in that nest. Yesterday morning, on our way out for a trike ride, we were just able to make out two fuzzy, bobbing heads peering at us from the nest while momma was roosting nearby. Next bike ride we take our binoculars, for sure! Smiley Happy

Oh, right: the yellowlegs are still here, much to our delight.

AND: we saw yet another great blue heron rookery on our trike ride. This one is the biggest of all, in an open space park, and encompasses 6 trees. It is close to the 'original' rookery (read: the only other one we knew about before this month Smiley Happy) We need to ask some of our more experienced birder friends, but jimminy, it sure seems great blues are expanding like crazy here. I bet last year we saw 16 nesting in the original rookery. So far this year we've seen quadruple that number and we haven't even visited the original rookery.

We were on a training ride (80 curvy, hilly trail miles with 26 road crossings at an average moving speed of 14.1: woot!) so were not actually birding, but of course had our eyes peeled all the same. So we did see other species, mostly the usual suspects, but these were the highlights.

Message 26 of 69

@n566192lwrote:

Today while driving 3 dogs back to their owners, I had the opportunity to see my first hummingbird. I have been on the lookout for different birds in my area. However, central New Jersey, doesn't seem to be offering many at this point. 

Oh yay for hummingbirds!  I'm glad you got to see one already. 

We're probably over a month away from our first flying jewels coming back for summer. I do have roughly 500 native species hummingbird favorite flowers started in the greenhouse that I plan to plant outside in late May (our last day of frost is in mid-May). Anyway, that oughta give our returning hummers something to cheer about. Smiley Happy

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 27 of 69

Today while driving 3 dogs back to their owners, I had the opportunity to see my first hummingbird. I have been on the lookout for different birds in my area. However, central New Jersey, doesn't seem to be offering many at this point. 

Message 28 of 69

Well, I can't even believe it, but we rode back to the lake where we saw the lesser yellowlegs, and sure enough, it was there this morning. When we returned this afternoon, it had been joined by a second lesser yellowlegs, and they behaved like a pair. Fun stuff.

Yellowlegs are uncommon here, but not rare. Still, this was a grand sight, this apparent mating dancing we saw.

Also, interestingly enough, I was reading a birding newsletter all about bald eagles this morning. One of the articles was about identifying 1st, 2nd and 3rd year juveniles. Wouldn't you know it? We spotted both a 2nd and 3rd year juvie hanging out next to a lake (different one than the lake the yellowlegs are hanging out in). Before this morning's reading, I would have been able to say these mottled birds were baldies, but I would not have been able to state which year, and how I knew it was so.

One more fun sighting to share. On our way out this morning, an owl flew over my head. It was 9:30, and not brilliant sunshine, but certainly daytime. Then it did it again. And again. So fast, so silent, all I could say for sure was that I'd been buzzed by an owl. On our way back through this area this afternoon (around 4:15), I saw what I think was the same owl, and now I could ID it: it's a great horned, but now it was sitting in a nest that had been built and used by a pair of redtail hawks last year.

Great horned owls do commandeer nests, and apparently prefer open nests to tree cavities. (I didn't know this until DH looked up their nesting habits).

This has maybe been our most exciting week of birding yet! Smiley Happy

Message 29 of 69

Woo hoo!  The springtime migration just keeps on giving!  Last evening on a trike ride, we were treated to a great viewing of a lesser yellowlegs. This elegant shorebird voraciously fed while we watched and followed it around the lake.  This was our first independent ID of a lesser yellowlegs, which brings us to 217 birds on our (admittedly short Smiley Happy) life list.

Here's a video of a lesser yellowlegs, including a call.

And here's a video of a voraciously feeding lesser yellowlegs.

Message 30 of 69

Oh man, we are so blessed with birds this time of year!  We just returned from a riverside walk where we spied four blue-winged teals and a pair of cinnamon teals.

Blue-winged teal video

Cinnamon teal video