Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!

Frequent Social Butterfly

Re: What Birds Are You Seeing Now?

Message 11 of 69
THANK YOU; I'M LEAVING IT INDEFINITELY, UNLESS THE TRUMPET VINE( WHICH I CALL AUDREYIII") PULLS THIS LIL' OLD( 94 YEARS!) HOUSE DOWN.
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Report Inappropriate Content

Message 12 of 69
BEAUTIFUL!
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)

Message 13 of 69
I HAVE TRIED DILIGENTLY TO LEARN TO USE MY S MART PHONE IN THE LAST FEW MONTHS. DESPITE MY BEING ALMOST THROUGH WITH MY DOCTORATE, MY FAMILY JOKES THAT I MAY NOT BE "SMART ENOUGH FOR A SMARTPHONE". I ADMIT TO WHAT I CALL "LOW-TECH"&"BAD TECH JUJU"!
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 69

WOW, TODAY MY YARD HAD ABOUT 10 Cardinals IN IT. THE REDS ARE GREAT.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 69

@l483260l  Here in the Rocky Mountain foothills we have a similar springtime weather experience: anything goes, and we regularly get 4 seasons within a week. This makes me wonder where the birds go to ride out storms.  Here's hoping your robins return soon.

Speaking of weird weather causing birds to change locations, we haven't confirmed this with binoculars yet, but our old eyes insist that we saw a 50-bird flock of red-breasted mergansers Sunday evening in a trailside pond. They sure can (and do, I guess) migrate north through our locale, but generally migrate north following a path up the great plains. Anyway, we hope to get back out there for a better look.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red-breasted_Merganser/overview

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 16 of 69
THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHARING- NOW I KNOW A BIT MORE ABOUT MY "ROBIN' SHE/HE ANN COMPANY HAVEN'T COME CLOSE THE LAST 2 DAYS- WEATHER HERE= A COLD SNAP/ HIGH WINDS, BUT THAT'S SPRINGTIME IN TEXAS. I HAVE FAITH THEY'LL BE BACK THIS WEEK AS TEMPS RETURN TO THE 70'S.

Message 17 of 69

@n566192lwrote:

EPSTER,

The pictures you posted are GREAT!!!. ANYWAY, THE NEST IS ON A TELEPHONE POLE. OUT IN THE OPEN. I WILL FIND OUT MORE. I WISH I COULD TAKE AND SEND PICTURES. I HAVE TO BE TAUGHT HOW TO USE THIS PHONE. NANCY

@n566192l  You are way ahead of me: I don't even have a cell phone. Smiley Happy

Locally osprey and other raptors use telephone poles (and those tall parking lot light fixtures) for nesting purposes. The powers that be have been constructing nesting platforms for them, trying to lure them off the utility poles. This is pretty successful, though there's still a pair of osprey nesting on a light fixture in a downtown baseball field. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Regular Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 69

EPSTER,

The pictures you posted are GREAT!!!. ANYWAY, THE NEST IS ON A TELEPHONE POLE. OUT IN THE OPEN. I WILL FIND OUT MORE. I WISH I COULD TAKE AND SEND PICTURES. I HAVE TO BE TAUGHT HOW TO USE THIS PHONE. NANCY

Message 19 of 69

Hi Nancy! @n566192l  Oooooh! Sounds like you may have spotted a bald eagle nest.  They typically build huge nests high in a tree. The nests are made out of sticks. It could also be an osprey nest. (Eagles sometimes take over osprey nests)

Here's a web page devoted to baldies. Scroll to the bottom to see a few pictures of bald eagle nests: http://www.baldeagleinfo.com/eagle/eagle4.html

Here's a video about eagle nests ... or, more specifically, the wildlife department's quest to build a nest in the perfect spot to help out a pair of baldies whose nest was destroyed by a storm.

And here are a few images of bald eagle nests. If the nest you saw is smaller than these, or lower in the trees, then it could be a different bird of prey species (raptor or owl, say) nest.

Grant Colliers Yellowstone baldie nest picGrant Colliers Yellowstone baldie nest pic

Nicolas Dory's baldie nest picNicolas Dory's baldie nest pic

Bald eagle nest pic found on the webBald eagle nest pic found on the web

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 20 of 69

GREETINGS EVERYONE,

While driving through the now closed army base, Fort MONMOUTH, I looked up and saw a large nest. THE base is in New Jersey. I don't know what type of bird the nest is for. Or if the nest was man made or not. If there are any ideas out there please let me know. The nest is very large. Thanks Nancy