Staying Sharp empowers you to take control of your brain health as you age. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What Birds Are You Seeing Now?

Message 11 of 86

@AARPLynnewrote:

@EpsterI first noticed them in early April and I've started the drill of making up the sugar water. Once it starts to get really hot I'll have to be careful where I place the feeder--I understand the sugar water if allowed to get to hot will become a toxic alcohol. Wonder if Yeti would make an insulated container? Hmmmm.... Anyhow it's really fun to see them at my kitchen window!

@AARPLynne Boy, isn't that a good merchandise idea! (you might what to see if there's a patent on that, and if not... Smiley Happy)

Hummingbirds are such fun. I stopped putting up feeders because I couldn't keep our bees off them. Now we have no bees, though, I look forward to putting up hummingbird feeders again. Yay! Smiley Happy I also have quite an array of hummer friendly flowers growing in the greenhouse and about ready for transplanting outside. So this could be our best hummingbird season yet. We'll see.

The visitors center in Walden, Colorado (the moose capitol of the world) puts up a bunch of bird feeders, including a few for hummers (in the summer). At any given time there will be 50-75 of these flying jewels feasting on and arguing over the bottled nectar. Quite the aerial display/comedy show. Lots of other species visit the bird feeders as well, of course. And you are likely to spot a moose or two feasting on willow shrubs in the middle distance.

Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 86

THE NEWS SHOWED A CLIP OF A FULL WING SPANNED HAWK. THE HAWK WAS CARRYING A SHARK WITH A FISH IN ITS MOUTH. CIRCLE OF LIFE SHOT.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 86

@Epster I first noticed them in early April and I've started the drill of making up the sugar water. Once it starts to get really hot I'll have to be careful where I place the feeder--I understand the sugar water if allowed to get to hot will become a toxic alcohol. Wonder if Yeti would make an insulated container? Hmmmm.... Anyhow it's really fun to see them at my kitchen window!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 86

@AARPLynnewrote:

I'm seeing ruby-throated hummingbirds at the feeder!

Oh how fun! Enjoy them.  We won't see hummers for weeks and weeks yet. Or at least we don't typically seen them before flowers start to bloom (which is weeks and weeks away here).

Happy May Day!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 86

I'm seeing ruby-throated hummingbirds at the feeder!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 86

@n566192lwrote:

I JUST SAW ON THE NEWS TONIGHT, NEW JERSEY HAS A 17 YEAR-OLD OSPREY. I AM GLAD TO SEE THAT THESE BIRDS ARE MAKING A COMEBACK. NANCY

@n566192l Wow! That's awesome. I didn't realize they could live that long. I guess fish is good for you. LOL. Smiley Happy

Last night we took a walk along an area of the river that as a lot of former gravel ponds (now reclaimed open space/wildlife habitat) along side. This section of river also sports 3 osprey nests.  There were birds sitting in all three nests and two birds perching on nearby poles (guarding, I think) while another was fishing the ponds. The one that was fishing took some half dozen dramatic high flying swoops toward the water, then came up with a 10" fish. Then it flew all around the other osprey, fish in talons, as if to say: "See what I caught? Yum, yum!"  It finally landed on a pole and ate the fish.

There was an osprey nest across the river from my place on the reservation (you know: many, many moons ago). I always enjoyed watching them. Like you, I'm happy to see their numbers increase.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 86

I JUST SAW ON THE NEWS TONIGHT, NEW JERSEY HAS A 17 YEAR-OLD OSPREY. I AM GLAD TO SEE THAT THESE BIRDS ARE MAKING A COMEBACK. NANCY

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 86

THANKS EPSTER, I WILL PLAY NANCY DREW WITH THIS BIRD. I AM LEARNING SO MUCH FOR YOU!!!! Nancy

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 86

@n566192lwrote:

EPSTER,

THANKS FOR THE VIDEO. I HAVE A QUESTION.... WHICH BIRD IS UP AT 4 am? I live in Eatontown, NJ. OVER THE PAST FEW MORNINGS, I FEEL LIKE I'M AT Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. I may not be able to see the birds, but I sure can hear them.

Hi Nancy @n566192l. Hard to guess what bird is singing in the early morning there.  When we lived in northern California, there was a Western Kingbird that woke hubby up each day at 3:30. It would perch atop a 60' pine and sing non-stop until the sun came up. DH kinda hated that bird. LOL. But I doubt that's the species you are hearing.

I looked all over the web for a good collection of New Jersey songbird recordings, but didn't find one. So here's Wikipedia's list of birds in New Jersey. A place to start, maybe (though it is so long I think it would take about forever to figure out which bird from this list). Still, it certainly does show you what an impressive array of birds your state hosts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_birds_of_New_Jersey

And here's a site dedicated to New Jersey birds. You can sign up to receive their free newsletter. http://www.newjerseybirds.com

Then I found this Facebook group, New Jersey Birders: https://www.facebook.com/groups/njbirds/about/  Possibly you can ask this group of birders to help you ID your early morning songbird. (My guess is American goldfinch, but that's a wild you-know-what guess. :0))

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Have fun with this! Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 86

@l483260l  Yep; I've seen robin eggs that were a lighter blue, but mostly the ones I've seen are this vibrant almost turquoise blue.

I look forward to traveling around in retirement (think RV) so we can see birds from all over. Cardinals are on the list. I was thrilled by them as a child when they'd frequent my grandfather's property in the Arkansas Ozarks. Such beautiful birds!

I'm glad you are having fun with the birds local to you. Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views